Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for a decent/cheap winch for my RMAX. Wanted steel cable, dash switch and wired remote. Found all those in this 5000# model at Harbor Freight:

I know it's not a Warn but I'm not looking for something that I'll use every day. Want something just in case I get in a bind. Got it for $169 with a 20% off coupon. The winch fits the mounting holes perfect but I did have to get slightly longer bolts. The ones that came with the winch only went into the mounting nuts about halfway so I thought it would be better to spend $2 for longer bolts rather than have it strip out later.

The roller fairlead was a little big so I ordered one with the correct 6" bolt pattern from Amazon for $25 so I'm all in for under $200.

Install was pretty simple. Plenty of wire and instructions were simple. Dash switch fit in perfect. Haven't decided where I want the remote plug so it's just under the hood for now.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,403 Posts
I believe those winches have had pretty good reviews on them. Sounds like a killer deal. That's the route i'd be going if mine didn't come with one.

·
Premium Member
2021 Wolverine RMAX2 1000
159 Posts
I don’t have a Harbor Freight around me, but the Tractor Supply (TSC) in the town next to me has awesome prices on good winches and light bars!! Pretty much anything you need around here we get at TSC, not sure what all Harbor Freight sells never been to one. Hope it helps maybe they have them on there website and can look them up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t have a Harbor Freight around me, but the Tractor Supply (TSC) in the town next to me has awesome prices on good winches and light bars!! Pretty much anything you need around here we get at TSC, not sure what all Harbor Freight sells never been to one. Hope it helps maybe they have them on there website and can look them up.
They just put a Harbor Freight in our town. Had been to them before and they are great for cheap tools. I'm not a shopper but I could shop at HF all day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe those winches have had pretty good reviews on them. Sounds like a killer deal. That's the route i'd be going if mine didn't come with one.
I drove myself crazy last night trying to find the perfect winch. Stayed up until 3 am reading reviews, looking at specs, etc. Every winch out there had some bad reviews so I thought it was worth a shot at this price to take a chance on it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a harbor freight winch on my X2 no issues and pulled me out of some pretty bad stuff. I did take the wire off and put synthetic for safety. Happy with it

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
997 Posts
I didn't research at all and bought a Warn Axon as soon as I saw it on sale. Now seeing dozens on Amazon for 200 bucks with hundreds of 4.5 star reviews. Got me thinking of returning the warn and saving 300 bucks. That could be a rear windshield.

I drove myself crazy last night trying to find the perfect winch. Stayed up until 3 am reading reviews, looking at specs, etc. Every winch out there had some bad reviews so I thought it was worth a shot at this price to take a chance on it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Those are pretty good winches. I was looking at them for my gen 1 but at the time the Terra 45 was a better deal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got a 25% off coupon from Harbor Freight and when I went to look at the price of the Badlands winch that I bought it had dropped to to $160. I should have waited a week to buy it!! That's a heck of a deal to get that winch for $120.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the info on this winch. Was looking for a winch and this was just the ticket. Easy to install, thanks to your pictures and info. In your second picture you have a black wire with a blue connector attached to the solenoid, black wire. Is that for another toy you have hooked up? And the red wire for the remote you have going off to the right. Where is that hooked to?

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
997 Posts
I ended up buying an ac-dk winch from amazon, which looks the same as the badlands. I had to buy a 6in fairlead vs the 6.5 that comes with it.
I mounted the contactor in the oem position.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the info on this winch. Was looking for a winch and this was just the ticket. Easy to install, thanks to your pictures and info. In your second picture you have a black wire with a blue connector attached to the solenoid, black wire. Is that for another toy you have hooked up? And the red wire for the remote you have going off to the right. Where is that hooked to?
The black wire with the blue connector is a short jumper that just goes to the other side of the solenoid and plugs in between the blue and black wires from the remote. It was on there that way out of the box. I have the red wire running over to the accessory lead to my stereo so the winch is only powered when the key is on.

·
Registered
2021 X4
219 Posts
I just got the ZXR Badlands for Xmas, need to find time and motivation to get it mounted.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Good idea, I worried about that, going to use one of these drilled into a blank plastic cover in one of the rocker openings.

You got all them knock outs, get fancy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts