Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my newbie question but I did try to find the answer via search...

I am still debating rzr versus wolverine and have been watching all the vidoes on how to take care of your UTV. I plan to pull the trigger on a UTV in December after a bonus check

There is nothing that I have found regarding maintanence on the r-spec as it is so new. I can't even find videos of folks driving the vehicle on jeep trails, desert or sand. All videos seem to be tight wooded mountain trails at 4 mph 馃榾

In particular I am interested in how to the change the belt - just in case

Now, either the vehicle never needs an owner belt change or I am missing something.

The rzr seems to be the easiest to change, versus can-am or Arctic cat.

Vendor
Forgive my newbie question but I did try to find the answer via search...

I am still debating rzr versus wolverine and have been watching all the vidoes on how to take care of your UTV. I plan to pull the trigger on a UTV in December after a bonus check

There is nothing that I have found regarding maintanence on the r-spec as it is so new. I can't even find videos of folks driving the vehicle on jeep trails, desert or sand. All videos seem to be tight wooded mountain trails at 4 mph 锟斤拷

In particular I am interested in how to the change the belt - just in case

Now, either the vehicle never needs an owner belt change or I am missing something.

The rzr seems to be the easiest to change, versus can-am or Arctic cat.
The wolverine would rarely need to be changed, will go way longer than a RZR

A little more time involved than a RZR though

You can watch our machined sheave install video, basically the same steps to change the belt

Link to Wolverine Machined Sheave Combo

Todd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Great video.

I am glad one doesn't have to replace the Yamaha belt that often!!! :)

Registered
Yamaha's CVT system is the best in the business. My friend's dad has a little Kodiak 4wheeler with 23,000km on it and is still on his original belt. Only thing he's done to it it regular maintenance including brakes and he replaced the front drive shaft last year. It is still running great. I've owned 4 Yamahas, 3 of them with CVT and never had an issue.

Super Moderator
Most guys I know got 4-5000 miles on the stock belt in their grizzlys, I would not see why the wolvy would be much different. With yamaha, the belt is under constant tension, so it just doesn;t wear like the piece-o-shit polaris setup does. I actually witnessed the aftermath of a polaris belt exploding. I don't mean falling apart, it exploded, into million pieces. It was fun cleaning up. But, we changed the belt in 30 mins and were back on the trails. People who drive a pull-ur-ass, I mean polaris, tend to have spare belts with them...

Registered
Lol we put 125 km on a rzr 900 and blew the belt to bits ... never will own one after having to work on them. They are great machines just not great in the same areas. It's like old Ducati bikes needing valve adjustments almost every week of riding. Some guys loved it some guys hated it. I personally like things that last

Super Moderator
I put 6,000 miles on my ranger and never had the cover off it.
Were those 6,000 miles with it being towed?! J/k I couldn't resist. That is to date the one and only time time someone has told me their Polaris had no belt problems. That's impressive. Details on the ranger? Model, driving style etc.

Vendor
Were those 6,000 miles with it being towed?! J/k I couldn't resist. That is to date the one and only time time someone has told me their Polaris had no belt problems. That's impressive. Details on the ranger? Model, driving style etc.
Most rangers don't have belt issues, lots of high mileage 800 ranger belts.

I do a lot of sales with Polaris and am on a ranger forum and see lots of it

RZR's on the other hand, well glad I sell gates belts, average 200 belts a month

Registered
Most rangers don't have belt issues, lots of high mileage 800 ranger belts.

I do a lot of sales with Polaris and am on a ranger forum and see lots of it

RZR's on the other hand, well glad I sell gates belts, average 200 belts a month
I have seen this too although just about every Ranger I see puts around on the farm while the RZRs get hammered through just about everything.

Registered
ranger was a 2014 midsize 570 used mostly for trail riding,i never had any problems with the engine,trans or diffs,but the wheel bearings and suspension bushings were terrible ,I am also not a fan of the polaris 4/4 system especially coming down steep slippery hills although turf mode was a nice option.

Registered
I have never exploded the belt on my old rzr. But sure would wear out fast. Every year replacement was the norm but the gates belt I bought from Hunterworks is on its second year.

Registered
I replaced my OEM belt first time after 3000 miles for the hell of it. Now 85 miles later I am changing the new one. It totally disintegrated while driving on the trails.

Registered
Did you put on another OEM belt or a after market? You can鈥檛 get a better belt that the OEM that鈥檚 why they have a 10 year warranty. 3000 miles on original is nothing. I鈥檇 put the original back in it.

Registered
Yes, a Yamaha belt failing in 85 miles is not normal. Something else is up or you got a bad belt.

As for the belt warranty, it's as just as big a joke as the Yamalube engine warranty. I see this belt warranty brought up all the time on here and can only guess no reads the fine print. It comes down to they'll change it if they want to.

CUSTOMER鈥橲 RESPONSIBILITY: Under the terms of this limited warranty, the original owner of the Covered Vehicle will be responsible for ensuring that the Covered Vehicle is properly operated, maintained, and stored as specified in the applicable Owner鈥檚 Manual.

The owner of the Covered Vehicle shall give notice to an authorized Yamaha dealer of any and all apparent defects within ten (10) days of discovery and make the vehicle available for inspection and/or repairs. If requested, the owner of the covered vehicle must provide all service and purchase receipts as proof (receipts must be printed, not hand written, and specify clearly and unambiguously the Dealer name and address, date of service/purchase, showing all maintenance specified in the applicable Owner鈥檚 Manual has been performed.

In the event an apparent defect is discovered, protect the Covered Vehicle to prevent further damage (continued operation of the Covered Vehicle may result in damage that may not be covered by this limited warranty).

EXCLUSIONS from this Warranty shall include:
1. Improper use in an application other than that for which the manufacturer intended (as noted in the owner鈥檚 manual), including exceeding the vehicle鈥檚 maximum load and towing limits.
2. Rental, commercial, corporate, and business operation and use.
3. Competition or racing use.
4. Abnormal strain, neglect, or abuse, including clutch overheating and submersion in water or mud.
5. Damage due to ingestion of water, snow, dirt, or other contaminants into the V-belt case.
6. Lack of proper maintenance and storage of the Covered Vehicle as described in the Owner鈥檚 Manual.
7. Alteration, modification, or use of the Covered Vehicle not recommended by Yamaha, including use of 鈥渘on-stock鈥 or modified parts.
8. Cost of labor for replacement of a defective part or accessory (other than the V-belt).
9. Replacement or service of the V-belt for routine maintenance, normal wear and tear, or due, wholly or in part, to any cause other than faulty workmanship or material from the factory.
10. Parts covered by the Yamaha Limited Warranty on the vehicle or by Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) coverage, or by any pending legal proceeding, recall, or other service campaign.
11. Issues arising under any circumstances outside of the limited scope provided herein.
12. Claims that Yamaha believes in good faith to be the result of: collision or other accident; theft; vandalism; riot; explosion; earthquake; lightning, freezing; internal or external fire; water or flood damage (including prior flood damage); negligent, reckless, knowing or intentional damage; improper service or maintenance, manufacturer defect other than the V belt, improper installation of any part, fluid contamination (i.e. coolant, fuel, water or foreign material) or the failure to keep the motor and engine coolant at levels prescribed for the Covered Vehicle.
13. Customers located outside of the contiguous United States and Alaska.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts