Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2019 X2, this is the base model. I found a 2020 for $500 cheaper out the door, but I like the gray color better and all the valve issues i have been seeing me are scaring me off a bit.

You think I should go with the 2019, 2020, or just wait to see what yamaha comes out with.

I am getting the 2019 for $11099 plus tax out the door and the 2020 at a different dealter for 10599 plus tax out the door.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Honestly both of those prices seem decent considering the current shortage of inventory due to the scamdemic...

You could tell the 2019 dealer you have a 2020 at a lower price...see what he does.

Buy the one you like best and don't look back!

I have a 2018 x4 in graphite and love it. Still looks good after applying sc1.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,995 Posts
I would take my chances with the 2020 especially with it being cheaper. The person screwing up the valve keepers has been canned (I can't officially confirm this but believe the report).

Drive both of those off the lot and try and resell them and you'll probably get all your money back on the 2020 whereas you'll take at least a $1k hit on the 2019.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Telling him about the 2020 deal is what brought him down on the 2019, said thats the best he can do without losing money. Leaning toward the 2019. only think I dont like is ill have to get spacers with the new rims and tires but thats not a big deal

·
Registered
881 Posts
I would go 2020, if I didnt want to wait for the 2021.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah I had to put spacers on my 2018 x4.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would 2019 hood and fenders fit 2020? can always buy new plastic, might cost around 500 and have the best of both worlds, my wife thinks thats a dumb idea but im used to that haha

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
2020 for sure. There are major chassis changes between the two years. Do you really want to pay more to deal with an odd ball one model year machine?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’d go with the 2020 with all the changes. All mostly minor but they all add up to be quite a bit.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd go with a 2019 or wait for a 2021.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'd go with a 2019 or wait for a 2021.
So you would go with an older model for 500 dollars more?
Seems odd because it costs more and the 2020 has frame strengthening enhancements.

Reactions: Jraoffroad

·
Registered
734 Posts
So you would go with an older model for 500 dollars more?
Seems odd because it costs more and the 2020 has frame strengthening enhancements.
More issues with 2020's.. Dropped valves, snapping axles.. That was my only thought. 2019's have been bullet proof with no issues. If he feels lucky then roll the dice on a 20.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'km one of the "lucky few" who got burned by the dropped valve. Cost to me was I didn't have the machine for 3 weeks, that caused me some issues, but i did end up with a brand new engine, plus 18 months of YES, and 300 bucks of yamaha credit, so there was an upside.

When I started looking , I was after a 2019. but then I figured out the shock mount strengthening, plus - the 2020 had a 1500 dollar rebate - that's why its cheaper. The dealer applies the rebate to the cost, and he actually makes more money selling you the 2020 than the 2019. If I had to do it all over again, Id still go with the 20. better resale value, and the improvements make it a better purchase in my opinion. But to each his own .

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I met TN_Max last Friday for a 136 mile ride in WV (according to the GPS tablet, the track I recorded). He's in a '20 X2 XTR. I took one look at his rear tires and could see the changes to the rear A-Arms. I measured his inner fender to the edge of the rim and compared it to my '19 X2. It was much better clearance - 1.75" I seem to remember. Anyway that alone would make me choose the 2020 model.

And I did confirm the 2020 XTR tires are 27" RADIAL Dirt Commanders, in 8-ply.

·
Premium Member
2020 X2-XTR
209 Posts
And I did confirm the 2020 XTR tires are 27" RADIAL Dirt Commanders, in 8-ply.[/QUOTE]
That brings up an interesting question. I just blew a RF dirt commander and ordered new. The Yamaha site says they are 8 ply radials. the tire I bought and the GBC website says they are bias. do they make a radial version just for Yamaha?? They look the same. I'm confused by this. Clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Harry

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Correct, I bet the only place you can get the tires that come on the XTR are through Yamaha dealer. I literally did not believe it when I was told they were radial as they are not for sale online in that configuration. On a street vehicle it is stated you should not mix radial and bias ply tires. Not sure if it matters on a SXS, but I bet you don't want to do that.

·
Premium Member
2020 X2-XTR
209 Posts
Correct, I bet the only place you can get the tires that come on the XTR are through Yamaha dealer. I literally did not believe it when I was told they were radial as they are not for sale online in that configuration. On a street vehicle it is stated you should not mix radial and bias ply tires. Not sure if it matters on a SXS, but I bet you don't want to do that.
Too late now. I'll let you know if mixing them has any adverse effect. Makes no sense that they would build a tire that has the same name and is built differently just for Yamaha. I don't expect it to be a problem on a tire that is rolling on stilts (knobs) anyway. Thanks for the clarification!
Harry

·
Premium Member
2020 X2-XTR
209 Posts
@Paul65, did you actually see the word radial on the tire? I have a call into GBC (their warehouse is next door to Yamaha in GA.) the representative told me the Dirt Commander is a bias ply, 8 ply tire. She is not aware of a custom Dirt Commander with radial construction that is built and sold exclusively to Yamaha. Although, she did stop short of stating this to be fact. She is doing some more research and calling me back.

Here is GBC's site. https://www.greenballtires.com/brands/gbc/dirt-commander There is a picture of the XTR with these tires on this page.
Harry

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
246 Posts
I would go with the 2020 model, get it before it goes as UTV's are in short supply due to the Scandemic !
The $500.00 difference, if no short supply of UTV's he would cut you the deal on the 2019, just my humble opinion!

Reactions: therebel19
1 - 20 of 35 Posts