Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out where the burning smell is coming from. Only happens when I am pulling a large load of dirt with the box blade. I am thinking it is either the belt or clutch. I am always in Low with diff lock.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My guess would be slipping belt as well. If you are going to do this on a regular you may want to up your secondary spring a touch and drop your weights a hair. Maybe a slug kit but I'd start with the spring and weights

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Speaking of burning smell, I think I left my cookies in the oven too long.
You're lucky..........I lost my cookies. OOOOPS getting off topic here. Sorry couldn't resist.

·
Vendor
782 Posts
I can't figure out where the burning smell is coming from. Only happens when I am pulling a large load of dirt with the box blade. I am thinking it is either the belt or clutch. I am always in Low with diff lock.
You won't smell the wet clutch, it is inside the engine in oil

Probably belt.

Depends on how fast you are moving but weights and springs won't do just a ton until you get about 8 mph how ever a stiffer secondary spring would make it have more belt grip

Anyone doing something like this on a regular basis should look at a wet clutch slug kit to keep the wet clutch from slipping and a machined sheave so the belt gets lower in the primary and higher in the secondary for better take off or more pull under that 8 mph basically lower geared if you will

Feel free to call me tomorrow to discuss it

Todd

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Yamaha extended warranty. Will doing any mods void the warranty?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked with my Yamaha dealer and had them install a epi clutch kit and it is still covered by the warranty. Difference with this kit install is like night and day over stock.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Glad it's working well for you. BUT I THOUGHT WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO MENTION COMPETITERS PRODUCTS UNLESS THEY ARE AN APPROVED VENDOR.JUST SAYIN

Reactions: Bob3663

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I talked with my Yamaha dealer and had them install a epi clutch kit and it is still covered by the warranty. Difference with this kit install is like night and day over stock.
How much did it cost for dealer installed kit? I'm kinda leery of tearing into a clutch.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Yeah how much ? And why didn't you go with hunterworks? Why did you choose some else ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much did it cost for dealer installed kit? I'm kinda leery of tearing into a clutch.
Right close to $500. mostly labor. Kit was like 178.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah how much ? And why didn't you go with hunterworks? Why did you choose some else ?
I looked hard at Hunterworks. Yamaha warranty will cover the epi kit if installed by the dealership.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really hope that kit didn't include heavier wet clutch springs to make it act like a high stall torque converter...that'll just wear your clutch out faster.
Darn if I know. Either or it will still be covered by the extended warranty.

·
Engineer
1,914 Posts
The EPI clutch kit includes heavy springs and creates a higher stall wet clutch. This is actually not used anymore as it tends to put added stress onto the wet clutch. Not sure why EPI still sells it. Most people use the weighted clutch kit as it transfers torque to the cvt at lower rpm, with stronger lockups. Here is the Hunterworks Wet Clutch Kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.