Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes have been rubbing since I bought my 2022 RMAX2 1000 LE. Dealer tells me it’s normal. This is my first UTV but I can’t imagine it’s normal. I work on my Jeep a lot and have done plenty of work on it to “have a clue about things like this”. After my short drive to start breaking it in I’ve been hearing rubbing, smelling lightly burning brakes and now (after my second real break-in drive), I’m hearing brake squealing (like old worn out brakes hitting the rotars).

I ended up jacking up the front end and free spinning the tires. While doing it I could really hear the brakes rubbing and the tires would not free spin). I would spin them and they would come to a stop pretty quickly. This didn’t seem right so I called my dealer and they told me this was normal for the pads to touch the rotate and do this. After my second/longer drive it seems to be getting worse and now it seems like the brakes are not stopping the RMAX very well at all.

Any advice would be great. I have searched on the internet trying to find someone out there with the same issue but I can’t. All I find is parking brake problems and fixes. Could it be that the brake pedal is not set correctly? Is there something I can try to fix it myself?

·
Registered
824 Posts
If a brake pad especially a new one was not retracting you would smell it and the hub would be so hot you would feel it walking by.
Go run it 60 mph for a stretch and bach letting engine do all te braking and then feel the hubs. If they are cool and no smell then they are not rubbing enough to be a concern.

You would expirience a pull and weird steering too. If the hub is cool as I expect it will be then no brake is rubbing.

No wheel on a four wheel drive like these spin free. All axles and all the same parts turn in 2 wd or 4 wd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If a brake pad especially a new one was not retracting you would smell it and the hub would be so hot you would feel it walking by.
Go run it 60 mph for a stretch and bach letting engine do all te braking and then feel the hubs. If they are cool and no smell then they are not rubbing enough to be a concern.

You would expirience a pull and weird steering too. If the hub is cool as I expect it will be then no brake is rubbing.

No wheel on a four wheel drive like these spin free. All axles and all the same parts turn in 2 wd or 4 wd.
Thank you so much for the response, that’s some awesome info! I will for sure give it another run just like you said and check the hub heat, smell and potential wonky steering.
One of my other concerns is the high pitched metal on metal sound that is happening as well. It’s that same sound you get when car brake pads needs to be changed (which is strange for a vehicle that had 1 mile on when I bought it). I am mainly just hoping the brakes just need more brake in as well. I’ll report back… and thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't be normal because my 2022 RMAX4 LE isn't doing it.
That’s what my gut is telling me. How is the general braking response on yours? Mine barely wants to stop when I apply the brakes (even when I mash them to the floor). All these issues tell me something is wrong. Being new to the UTV world, I wanted to reach out here and get some experienced responses. Thank you.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX4 1000 Limited Edition
11 Posts
That’s what my gut is telling me. How is the general braking response on yours? Mine barely wants to stop when I apply the brakes (even when I mash them to the floor). All these issues tell me something is wrong. Being new to the UTV world, I wanted to reach out here and get some experienced responses. Thank you.
Brakes are STRONG man, I used them a lot yesterday and I was super impressed with the braking. They saved me from getting in trouble a lot. This is my first UTV as well, the brakes should be REALLY good on that machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brakes are STRONG man, I used them a lot yesterday and I was super impressed with the braking. They saved me from getting in trouble a lot. This is my first UTV as well, the brakes should be REALLY good on that machine.
That’s what I thought. I am calling my dealer to just let them know. I wish it was something I could fix myself.

·
Registered
2021 X4 -2021 Kodiak 700- and 2 2021 PW50's
336 Posts
My X4 had some weird rubbing/squeaking noise that sounded like brakes rubbing or dirt on the rotors and it did it from day 1 until I sold it with 1250 miles on it, it was especially worse when decelerating and right turning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My X4 had some weird rubbing/squeaking noise that sounded like brakes rubbing or dirt on the rotors and it did it from day 1 until I sold it with 1250 miles on it, it was especially worse when decelerating and right turning.
Great. That’s not very promising to say the least. It would be my luck to buy a reliable Yamaha and have it not be reliable. I sure hope it can be fixed.

Did you ever try to get it fixed while under warranty?

·
Registered
2021 X4 -2021 Kodiak 700- and 2 2021 PW50's
336 Posts
Great. That’s not very promising to say the least. It would be my luck to buy a reliable Yamaha and have it not be reliable. I sure hope it can be fixed.

Did you ever try to get it fixed while under warranty?
Yes sir it went in twice for that particular issue and I was told twice that they couldn't find anything, it would get so obnoxious that other riders would hear the squaking over their machines, it was fun to try and sneak around hunting in also, I bought the "reliable" yamaha and my machine was the newest in our group and in the shop the most, but whenever I talk about the bad things about my machine on here the wolverine forums police get on and tell me to move on and quit complaining lol...... but yeah contrary to popular belief on here these yamahas have just as much issues as shall i say.......rzr's and can ams.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
A lot of us took the calipers off and have greased the pins the pads ride on and the caliper bolts with high temp brake grease. The caliper needs to be able to move freely so it doesn't bind. A bind could cause you to hear a brake noise and make your brakes not work as well. Their have been post about this but they are older so you may have to do some digging to find them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
A lot of us took the calipers off and have greased the pins the pads ride on and the caliper bolts with high temp brake grease. The caliper needs to be able to move freely so it doesn't bind. A bind could cause you to hear a brake noise and make your brakes not work as well. Their have been post about this but they are older so you may have to do some digging to find them.
I had the squeaky break noise also, I greased the pins a year ago with Amsoil water resistant synthetic Wheel bearing grease and it’s still perfectly quiet a year later, and can stop on a dime, 700 miles since greasing them and I cross a river a couple times a week.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
824 Posts
The reason the dealer didn't find anything because you can't pysically see what is causing them to squeak. Unless they removed the brakes completely and cleaned and lubed them they likely just blew it/you off and didn't do anything but waste your time even bringing it in. They may not even get reimbursed for squeaky brakes because Yamaha, the dealer and most people realize disc brakes squeak sometimes and can't really expect warranty to chase brakes noise on a off road vehicle. Yes it is almost always fixable but Yamaha and the dealer just aren't the ones to do that service for free. If they warrantied every squeaky brake you have to realize with all the ones squeaking they would be doing nothing but fixing squeaky brakes for everyone every 3 months when they are running water and mud and pressure washing every ride.

A complete disassembly, clean and lube helps. Also laying pads on belt sander just long enough to break the glaze and expose fresh pad material stopped my YXZ squeaking of the brakes almost entirely for quite a while. I hear one just starting to make a litle squeak at first light application of the brakes.
Recon time to do them again.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yamaha has always had brake squeak issues so the dealer is kind of right. Daniels post will fix it for awhile. There was also someone on here or one of the FB groups that found they had a hub that wasn't machined correctly. The hub and rotor weren't centered to each other. The rotor edge would rub the inside the caliper at one point in the rotation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2022 is doing the exact same thing as yours.
Brake squeak while riding at low speeds , could be all the time but the engine noise is quiet enough to hear at low speeds. I also have horrible braking response and can’t see it stopping on a dime when needed during trail riding. I would take it to a Yamaha dealership for service but I don’t want to be without my machine for two months either.
Hopefully it goes away in time.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Squeaky brakes are one thing. Not being able to stop is another. I think the two may related to Comanche's post. The grease is a temp fix and the noise will come back. However if something is binding rather its a pad, caliber, or hub/rotor, then I can see that causing braking issues and should be looked at. It's simple enough to pull the wheel and caliper off to grease things to see if it helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m definitely going to try this. I’ve seen a few youtube videos on this as well. Appreciate the info and will do some more digging in the forum as well. I looked at the brakes and this should be something I can easily tackle. Thanks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just did this 2 days ago on my 21 r-spec it only takes about 1 1/2 hours 4 bolts to get wheel off 2 14mm bolts to get the caliper off (12mm in the back) then 2allen pins 5mm. I don’t grease a lot of points like shown in this form. I pulled the pads blew all dirt out of calipers cleaned pins with a scotch bright pad lubed pins with tinkseal not heavily then reinstalled. The outer brake pad has a pin it rides on I cleaned that really good with a scotch bright pad no lube there either. In my opinion if you get lube all over everything in there dirt and dust will stick to it then eventually the problem will be worse.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000 LE
311 Posts
Coming from ATV and Dirt Bikes , I will say the braking on the Rmax leaves something to be desired.. It took me awhile to get used to the lack of braking without pushing hard on the peddle. Mine personally doesn't grab anything close to the way a quad or bike does. It will stop , but man you gotta push.

It's like hopping in a truck after driving a sports car.. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

That's my take thus far at 700 miles in.

As for the squeak,, welcome to offroad.

I do the red neck method of holding down brake while giving it the gas. That usually always works on a ATV. I can't recall how often my RMAX squeaks , but I'm pretty sure I've done the same , and it worked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts