Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my box/bed off for service and noticed on reinstall that 3 of the 9 shouldered torx bolts that go through box and are threaded into the middle frame cross rail were stripped so bad, they could be pushed through with my thumb. Simple fix....trip to hardware store for M6x1.0 nylock nuts. I did the ones in the rail at the back as well...too easy not too.
You may want to check yours at some time.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yessir, did that a couple years ago. My box actually vibrated loose and wallered out the box holes. For ease of maintenance a couple things I do the first time you put on the washer for the upside down rail location, was I put a little butyl tape on the SS washer and when I remove the nut it stays. To easily get the nut in place to start on the screw, my son showed me a trick to put the nut in a boxed end wrench shoved thru a paper towel held over the wrench. Tear off the paper towel selvage, the nut stays in the wrench and after located and torqued in place, wrench easily comes off the nut.

Reactions: Paul65 and Budro2

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a neat trick!

Reactions: Paul65

·
Far from stock
Former decked out 16 wolverine
970 Posts
I was just about to post a story but searched first just in case, I’m having this problem right now. I went riding yesterday and I hit a big bump. When I hit it, my yamaha tool box came flying out of the bed. I was mystified as it’s bolted in. Well, apparently over the years the holes wore out. When it happened I looked at the bed and 4 others were totally loose. Unreal.

Had my box/bed off for service and noticed on reinstall that 3 of the 9 shouldered torx bolts that go through box and are threaded into the middle frame cross rail were stripped so bad, they could be pushed through with my thumb. Simple fix....trip to hardware store for M6x1.0 nylock nuts. I did the ones in the rail at the back as well...too easy not too.
You may want to check yours at some time.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Dan I used some long M6 bolts and big fender washers inside of the box that I beat into shape for that recess, The lock nuts are easy to get from the lower sides inside of the upside down channel. I used some M6 Jnuts in the frame channel for the outer center bolts of the carrier. IIRC the front carrier bolts are in the cross piece on top of the frame and I plan on welding a couple flange nuts on the bottom side of the cross piece before I put it back on next time off. The center ones I just try not to overtorque lol, I suppose an insert nut would do the trick there or some JB Weld on a flange nut or tack it on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts