Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 wolverine with only 138 hours, less than 2000km, has had 4 oil changes and always runs on 89 octane, has blown up. The dealership called me today and said it’s beyond repair, they can get the parts but be $9000 plus 30 hours labour putting it together. I called Yamaha and they won’t help me. I’m a single dad with a 15 month old son who loves to go for rides around the yard. If anyone knows of a cheap wolverine motor from a scrapped wolverine please let me know! I just joined this, not sure how this works but you can contact me on Facebook at Kurt Hilmayer, or email me at [email protected]

thank you!

·
Registered
962 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X4
213 Posts
Going to the dealership was your first mistake, id talk to a reputable smaller shop, did they explain what was wrong or what happened or caused it? I'm assuming there are salvageable parts, did it crack the cases or something?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You have been misled... the parts are not that much unless you replace every single little piece at msrp. But here we are with another Canadian unit so more expensive. But this was addressed not too long ago in another thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to the dealership was your first mistake, id talk to a reputable smaller shop, did they explain what was wrong or what happened or caused it? I'm assuming there are salvageable parts, did it crack the cases or something?
It’s pretty bad, there was a 1” hole blown out the back, right in between the two cases just above the fuel filter. They basically told me everything inside was mangled, piston, rings, balancing shaft, etc... that’s all I know, I’m no mechanic, going to go pick it up next weekend.

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is a known issue with the 708 engine. The oil pump and coolant share the same impeller shaft and the nut comes loose and you lose oil pressure and bang goes the engine. I, along with a few others have installed an oil pressure light in the dash so when oil pressure goes away the engine can be shut down.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My Gen1 did that and got a new upper motor on the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
My 2017 wolverine with only 138 hours, less than 2000km, has had 4 oil changes and always runs on 89 octane, has blown up.
Can you describe what it was doing when it blew. Were you racing it or in a hard long hill climb or....??

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a known issue with the 708 engine. The oil pump and coolant share the same impeller shaft and the nut comes loose and you lose oil pressure and bang goes the engine. I, along with a few others have installed an oil pressure light in the dash so when oil pressure goes away the engine can be shut down.
Yea I’ve heard that now after looking into it. That’s a good idea, when I get a new motor I’ll have to see if my buddy can hook me up with something like that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you describe what it was doing when it blew. Were you racing it or in a hard long hill climb or....??
I was coming across a flat grassy field wide open, it bounced off the governor a couple times then sputtered and then sounded like a shotgun went off and lost all power.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just skip this post........Pull and inspect the spark plugs for damage, check for a good spark also and do a compression check.
Sounds dumb also but make sure you have good fuel in your tank.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
sounds like worse scenario....probably lost the nut torque and consequently oil and water pump. It's a ball bearing crank so before you lost the bearing you probably ruined the top end and motor is full of glitter. you could save some parts but the major stuff is pricey plus the labor. Hard to tell on some of the transmission and balancer until you remove motor and split the cases so likely they gave you worse case. New Head and cams and chain are $2000 or so, so if salvageable then significant $$ to most. A new cam chain tensioner is $300 at dealer. The list goes on and on. So dealership is not likely to take any risks or mess with the examination/cleaning so will only want to use new parts on most everything so they can warrant unit. Either find a side mechanic or buddy to help or part out the car, seems to be the course. You could ask the dealer for a trade-in and see what they offer. They will let one of the mechanics have it who will take it home and fix it on the side. Part of that decision is based on if it is a Rspec or base unit and if it is EPS. The shocks and power steering stuff are the greatest value that can be easily shipped. good stator, ECU, diffs etc. But these units do not break a lot of parts so I'm not sure of how long this will take. Some others who have parted a unit may chime in as to what total value could be. My $.02.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Pull and inspect the spark plugs for damage, check for a good spark also and do a compression check.
Sounds dumb also but make sure you have good fuel in your tank.
KDT you must have missed that there is a hole in the back of the block, or you confused this one with the other thread lol

·
Registered
962 Posts
KDT you must have missed that there is a hole in the back of the block, or you confused this one with the other thread lol
You are so right, I am getting my posts all mixed up. Now I feel a bit stupid.o_O

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You are so right, I am getting my posts all mixed up. Now I feel a bit stupid.o_O
Please don't feel that way, I have that market locked up for myself. haha. There is nothing wrong with trying to help these one posters, they get on the site with minimal info and a high level of anxiety and some have been misled and they are not mechanical.....it is also very frustrating to me that they do not follow-up and provide feedback on results or solutions. I have tried several times to quit doing this ha. Other 708 folks are dropping out so the contribution is dwindling, but I keep trying to provide a little input and hope it helps them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m going to pick up the machine from the dealer next weekend, so far the link kdt1970 sent me seems like the best option unless someone on here has a smashed up wolverine but the engine is still good. My buddy is a Yamaha mechanic, if I get that engine from that link ill be beyond broke so I think he’s my best bet to put it in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts