Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an amazing thing to build buyer confidence!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I know this isn't RMAX related but I had to post it. A good buddy of mine just bought this brand new 2021 Can Am 650 Outlander Max 2up less than 2 months ago and last week it shredded a belt already and left him stuck on the mountain. This machine is still under its factory warranty and it wouldn't cover the belt. He had to pay out of pocket for the repair. Do you believe that crap. He's a total wheeler guy and I almost had him talked into a new Grizz but he went with the Can Am. Bad choice I guess. LOL. IMO anyway. That aside I am amazed Can Am wouldn't stand behind their brand new machine. I felt bad for him but I still ask him if it smelt like CANNED HAM when the belt burnt.🤣

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We been through this and the Yamaha lube warranty a few times before. They are only good as sales tools.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yamaha said:
CUSTOMER’S RESPONSIBILITY: Under the terms of this limited warranty, the original owner of the Covered Vehicle will be responsible for ensuring that the Covered Vehicle is properly operated, maintained, and stored as specified in the applicable Owner’s Manual.

The owner of the Covered Vehicle shall give notice to an authorized Yamaha dealer of any and all apparent defects within ten (10) days of discovery and make the vehicle available for inspection and/or repairs. If requested, the owner of the covered vehicle must provide all service and purchase receipts as proof (receipts must be printed, not hand written, and specify clearly and unambiguously the Dealer name and address, date of service/purchase, showing all maintenance specified in the applicable Owner’s Manual has been performed.

In the event an apparent defect is discovered, protect the Covered Vehicle to prevent further damage (continued operation of the Covered Vehicle may result in damage that may not be covered by this limited warranty).

EXCLUSIONS from this Warranty shall include:
1. Improper use in an application other than that for which the manufacturer intended (as noted in the owner’s manual), including exceeding the vehicle’s maximum load and towing limits.
2. Rental, commercial, corporate, and business operation and use.
3. Competition or racing use.
4. Abnormal strain, neglect, or abuse, including clutch overheating and submersion in water or mud.
5. Damage due to ingestion of water, snow, dirt, or other contaminants into the V-belt case.
6. Lack of proper maintenance and storage of the Covered Vehicle as described in the Owner’s Manual.
7. Alteration, modification, or use of the Covered Vehicle not recommended by Yamaha, including use of “non-stock” or modified parts.
8. Cost of labor for replacement of a defective part or accessory (other than the V-belt).
9. Replacement or service of the V-belt for routine maintenance, normal wear and tear, or due, wholly or in part, to any cause other than faulty workmanship or material from the factory.
10. Parts covered by the Yamaha Limited Warranty on the vehicle or by Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) coverage, or by any pending legal proceeding, recall, or other service campaign.
11. Issues arising under any circumstances outside of the limited scope provided herein.
12. Claims that Yamaha believes in good faith to be the result of: collision or other accident; theft; vandalism; riot; explosion; earthquake; lightning, freezing; internal or external fire; water or flood damage (including prior flood damage); negligent, reckless, knowing or intentional damage; improper service or maintenance, manufacturer defect other than the V belt, improper installation of any part, fluid contamination (i.e. coolant, fuel, water or foreign material) or the failure to keep the motor and engine coolant at levels prescribed for the Covered Vehicle.
13. Customers located outside of the contiguous United States and Alaska.

NO TRANSFER RIGHTS are provided under this Warranty. This V-Belt Limited Warranty is provided at no charge to the original registered owner and cannot be transferred to a subsequent owner.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000 LE
34 Posts
My experience with Yamaha has been exceptional when it comes to getting repairs.
The list of things (mostly minor) I've had fixed on all my Grizzly's over the past 18 years is pretty lengthy. 90% were repaired for free , after machine was years old and with no warranty. In fact my 2016 700 was just rebuilt for free a few months back for the known oil burn issue. I bought it July 2015 , no warranty. Has almost 3k miles.

This is part of the deal though (For me)... You build a reputation with a local YAMAHA dealer. You buy items there. You purchase oil there. You don't go to ATV.WHATEVER and save 10 bucks. You support your dealer. 2nd , be honest. If you hit a 30ft gap jump , and bent shit. Say it. If you don't bullshit, and the dealer knows you do maintenance , most will go to bat for you with YAMAHA. That will get you alot more help with YAMAHA coverage.

If you bring machine in 3 years after you bought it , having never bought a quart of oil from them, covered in mud and accessories bought online.. Well they may just try talking you into a new one vrs helping get a after warranty repair. YAMAHA stands behind fixing flawed designs better than any company I've ever dealt with hands down ! As long as they continue this tradition, I will bleed blue when it comes to offroad. Just my experience and 2 cents.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I do believe though that Yamaha is almost always fair as all heck when it comes to fixing things while under warranty. The best in the business hands down.

Yamaha is the best. They have fixed/replaced peoples entire top ends even after the warranty was expired.

There warranties as written are to keep them from going broke fixing things if people are just irresponsible and will break anything repeatedly if you just kept fixing it for free. They must write their warranties like that to protect themselves from those kind of users. You can't blame them for it. It isn't their first rodeo. I am sure they have seen and dealt with it all too many times to not cover their butt.

Even the belt warranty is ONLY covered for faulty workmanship or material from the factory. Who decides that when belt is shredded ? No way for you (or them) to definitively prove that one way or the other after every failure.

If you read the warranty for what it says even swapping the tires to something other than what it came with seems that would/could void all warranty.

Exclusions:

7. Alteration, modification, or use of the Covered Vehicle not recommended by Yamaha, including use of “non-stock” or modified parts.

9. Replacement or service of the V-belt for routine maintenance, normal wear and tear, or due, wholly or in part, to any cause other than faulty workmanship or material from the factory.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So I know this isn't RMAX related but I had to post it. A good buddy of mine just bought this brand new 2021 Can Am 650 Outlander Max 2up less than 2 months ago and last week it shredded a belt already and left him stuck on the mountain. This machine is still under its factory warranty and it wouldn't cover the belt. He had to pay out of pocket for the repair. Do you believe that crap. He's a total wheeler guy and I almost had him talked into a new Grizz but he went with the Can Am. Bad choice I guess. LOL. IMO anyway. That aside I am amazed Can Am wouldn't stand behind their brand new machine. I felt bad for him but I still ask him if it smelt like CANNED HAM when the belt burnt.🤣 View attachment 91095
I work with a friend that had the CanAm Outlander 1000 and he had to replace the belt 3 times in 5 years. He sold it and now has a Pioneer 1000

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally have never had a belt fail on any of my Yamis and am on my 3rd Yami SXS but I fully believe that they would totally honor that 10 year warranty if I ever needed it. I don't think it's a gimmick at all. In fact I'd be willing to bet that they get so few belt claims that they probably jump at the chance to honor and stand behind that warranty when they can.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I work with a friend that had the CanAm Outlander 1000 and he had to replace the belt 3 times in 5 years. He sold it and now has a Pioneer 1000
that's crazy.. i have a 650 outlander max xt, and i haven't had a single issue with it. granted i'm only at 800 miles on it. Friend went from a 450 with over 1000 miles on it to a 850, and that has over a 1000 miles on it, and still no belt issues

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a 2006 Yamaha 350 Bruin and when I sold it in 2018 I had never taken the cvt cover off to do anything and I rode the crape out of that quad including snowplowing with it every winter. Still ran great when I sold it. I have since learned that I should at least clean and grease it periodically. But the point is the Yamaha cvt seems pretty durable belt and all.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
731 Posts
We get a 1 yr warranty up here, and not sure in the US, but up here Yamaha has a 20 yr, 160k km engine warranty if registering and using Yamalube.

Section A - Warranty
Subject to Section D, YAMAHA offers the following warranty coverage to the CUSTOMER:

1. Periods of warranty:
    1. Pleasure Use (including government use)
    2. The period of warranty shall be one year commencing on DELIVERY on all models purchased for pleasure or government use;
20 YEARS | 160,000KM LIMITED ENGINE LUBRICATION WARRANTY
PEACE OF MIND FOR A LIFETIME
Your Yamaha does not have to be serviced by the dealer. If you prefer to complete the maintenance yourself you can utilize a Yamalube Oil Change Kit, just ensure you always keep your receipts!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I believe that Yamaha cares and nominally fair....but to a limited point and that depends on the advocate. Lawyers write the warranty language and they can probably get out of 90% of the claims if they wanted too, or at least get to court lol. This theme is about sales gimmicks imho. What your loyalty, Pohlhammer, seems to be based on is dealer/customer relationship. I understand your point and do not disagree with your perspective, but if the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth were known, you might have a different view of the dealer vs the factory. We never know when the hours for repair, of an out of warranty unit, is turned in on another unit, or maybe even a another manufacturer who is used to absorbing the costs. Rarely does anyone work for free. It sounds like you are a solid long-term player that gives repeat business to your dealer and you are loyal to him, so that is why he bends over backwards for you. Future sales. You have become a part of his 'family'. And admittedly you purchased that position. However, my local dealer gives no hint that he could be that kind of loyal player other than the smooth sales talk when you're purchasing. But when I get back into his shop, he is looking for my every nickel, and the Service Dept casting me to the mercy of the "regional factory rep". I am happy for you that you found such an opportunity, but propose that they are somewhat rare as you described. Sorry I did not mean to editorialize this subject as that is not my typical desire and will not debate it but just my $.02. BTW- if they include the Wet Clutch in that warranty now you really got something LOL!

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000 LE
34 Posts
I believe that Yamaha cares and nominally fair....but to a limited point and that depends on the advocate. Lawyers write the warranty language and they can probably get out of 90% of the claims if they wanted too, or at least get to court lol. This theme is about sales gimmicks imho. What your loyalty, Pohlhammer, seems to be based on is dealer/customer relationship. I understand your point and do not disagree with your perspective, but if the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth were known, you might have a different view of the dealer vs the factory. We never know when the hours for repair, of an out of warranty unit, is turned in on another unit, or maybe even a another manufacturer who is used to absorbing the costs. Rarely does anyone work for free. It sounds like you are a solid long-term player that gives repeat business to your dealer and you are loyal to him, so that is why he bends over backwards for you. Future sales. You have become a part of his 'family'. And admittedly you purchased that position. However, my local dealer gives no hint that he could be that kind of loyal player other than the smooth sales talk when you're purchasing. But when I get back into his shop, he is looking for my every nickel, and the Service Dept casting me to the mercy of the "regional factory rep". I am happy for you that you found such an opportunity, but propose that they are somewhat rare as you described. Sorry I did not mean to editorialize this subject as that is not my typical desire and will not debate it but just my $.02. BTW- if they include the Wet Clutch in that warranty now you really got something LOL!
Agreed , some may not ever get this type of relationship with a dealer. Could be a dealer is so big , that type of relationship is simply not possible due to being one person of thousands. In this case , I'd say good luck after warranty. A greedy dealer , will remain just that.
For those of us in smaller market areas ,with small town friendly dealerships. I say do your best to make that relationship. They are your neighbors, so might as well support them vrs a big box store out of state.
Its not that the Belt warranty WILL cover it ,, its that if your dealer friend tells YAMAHA it should be covered, it "could" be covered under warranty. Totally agree the "lawyer speak" defines every possibility to deny you , if need be.

Loyalty does go a long way. Sometimes you lose a little, to win in the long run so to say.. I have had great luck this way. Granted I treat my vehicle's with respect , and do proper maintenance. I ride them plenty hard too, and have described as much to my dealer. He says , they are YAMAHA'S , they are MEANT to be riden that way , so we will fix it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We get a 1 yr warranty up here, and not sure in the US, but up here Yamaha has a 20 yr, 160k km engine warranty if registering and using Yamalube.
We get about the same deal. If I remenber right it's even got a few more limitations. Still pretty much worthless and definitely not enough to sway anyone from running the oil of there choice. The engine must completely die "due to the failure of engine oil" for coverage.

Yamaha Canada said:
QUALIFIED BREAKDOWN means: (1) the immediate and apparent total mechanical failure of a Covered Part to work as it was designed to work in normal services due to failure of the engine oil; and (2) the Qualified Product electrical, fuel, computer engine management, cooling, induction and exhaust systems are all working as designed and are not the cause of engine failure. A Qualified Breakdown does not include the reduction in operating performance due to lack of maintenance and/or wear and tear, including a reduction in engine compression due to worn rings or valves, or abnormal sounds such as “knocking,” “pinging” or “rattling” sounds when a breakdown has not occurred.
Anyone swayed by either of these offers remember that Polaris used to have a lifetime belt warranty.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Section A - Warranty
Subject to Section D, YAMAHA offers the following warranty coverage to the CUSTOMER:

1. Periods of warranty:
    1. Pleasure Use (including government use)
    2. The period of warranty shall be one year commencing on DELIVERY on all models purchased for pleasure or government use;
20 YEARS | 160,000KM LIMITED ENGINE LUBRICATION WARRANTY
PEACE OF MIND FOR A LIFETIME
Your Yamaha does not have to be serviced by the dealer. If you prefer to complete the maintenance yourself you can utilize a Yamalube Oil Change Kit, just ensure you always keep your receipts!

It is not a engine warranty AT ALL. It is a oil warranty.

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
104 Posts
I bought my Rhino used (with 3000 miles on it) and when I asked the prior owner about the belt he told me it had about 1000 miles on it, but had just serviced the clutch/sheaves recently and that I didn't need to worry about it. I drove it pretty hard for a few months and then we bought one of those "dust covers" that goes under the seats of the Rhino. Our first trip out, trailered it to the campground, got the Rhino out and was heading down main street for some lunch. Less than 2 miles from camp...barely getting it up to speed (slow...40ish in a Rhino) and the belt let go violently. I have never been in/on a machine that let a belt go but I immediately knew what it was. Got it back to camp, picked up a belt at Rocky Mountain ATV and put it on and then put another 1500/2000 hard miles on it before I sold it years later with no worries. I did a sheave/belt inspection about every 1000 miles and when I sold it that belt was still like new.
What caused the belt to let go?...that stupid padded vinyl "dust cover" had "sucked up" clogging the CVT intake. That is one of the few things that will kill a belt on a Yamaha...no air. I fixed it so that could never happen again. It was my own fault!

Another story...A couple years ago, family camp, son-in-law brought his dads 1000 turbo Can-Am (the one that looks like the batmobile) and at lunch time he was poking at how slow the Rhino was. I told him I could go faster (actually had it up to 46 one time as a test) but that speed and heat is what kills belts and I didn't feel like changing a belt and that I was satisfied with 35 to 40 as a top speed for that machine. (His Can Am would go 70+). Coming back from a long ride, the boy told us that he would see us back at camp as he was getting hungry and we were going to slow. We got back to camp and no sign of the boy. He finally arrived about hour after we did and was acting funny. My daughter finally broke the silence and told us that he had been driving wide open for only a short distance when that belt let go on the Can Am. Took them quite a while to fix it. He told me that he was only able to fix it on the road only because he had done it BEFORE in that same machine and had all the spare parts and tools with him. I like that I don't have to carry a spare belt with me. I never did in the Rhino and I'm not going to with the X2. Full throttle runs should be fairly limited. Belt temp goes WAY down even backing off the throttle just a little bit.

My Suzuki King Quad 750 also had a very good CVT system...and curiously it was engineered and looked exactly like the Yamaha system! Worked like it too. Never had an issue and I beat the crap out of that thing.

I hope I never have to make a claim on the 10 year belt warranty thing, and I doubt I will have to but it speaks volumes for Yamaha that they are willing to do that.

Reactions: Mad Dog_037

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
272 Posts
I don't see the 10 year belt warranty as a gimmick, Yamaha stands behind their machines and if I'm not mistaken they are the only SxS manufacturer that offers a 10 year belt warranty. Do I hype Yamaha your dam right I do, been hyping them since I was a teenager I graduated from the 81 Yz125 to the 98 600 beast of the Grizzly, when I decided to buy my first SxS I looked at Polaris, Can Am, Kawasaki & Honda but I bought a Rhino, yes I was slower than all my riding buddies but it was my Rhino that never broke down and always was pulling the broken down Polaris's & Kawasaki's back or pulling them out of the mud.
Last year another friend was in the market for a SxS , he bought the Viking 6 Ranch edition even though everyone else was suggesting he get the Poolaris 6 seat Ranger, his reasoning...the year before I was the only Yamaha on a group ride of 7 machines, my X2 was the only machine that didn't overheat or have any other mechanical issues.
To end my 2 cents on the subject, I know the mechanics at my dealer, I know the service manager, I trust them and they and Yamaha have not broken that trust.

Reactions: N.E.T.O.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We been through this and the Yamaha lube warranty a few times before. They are only good as sales tools.
I don't disagree. But I can guarantee you that Yamaha wouldn't put that out there if they didn't believe you couldn't get close to 10 years out of the belt.

What we really need to thank Yamaha for is designing a CVT system that does not allow for a lot of slippage. I can't believe Polaris hasn't followed Yamaha here. Hell, my buddy has a brand new Razr....already replaced the belt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts