Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to take back wheels off to check a few things and looked at the brake pads, I was most surprised to see that the pads were completely worn out, with 1400 miles was wondering if anybody else had to change pads yet? Front pads were about 50 %. Brings to mind Biker-ur2b12 thread on weather the engine brake is working properly cause mine runs away as well, but I know the machine is heavy and most of my riding is rough trails. You may want to give yours a :cool:

·
Banned
420 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking engine braking does not actually use the hydraulic brakes.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I believe you are thinking correctly Big Dog. I think the point is that if engine brake was working correctly you wouldn't be on the brake pedal so often.

Reactions: TINKEN

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No way the engine brake is something internal it has nothing to do with the actual brakes. In biker- thread I mentioned they said what it is called a one way something? ?? I just know the engine brake doesn't really hold you back as I expected even in low.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's correct Roadymi

·
Registered
242 Posts
I very seldom even use the brakes. Engine braking works great.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Seems like I read somewhere that engine brake is at its best in 4wd low?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know on the Rubicon I had the engine brake was great and like Kirk I never used the brakes. My wolverine sure isn't like that.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
The brakes are almost new. LOL rarely have to use them unless coming into a corner hot or really big down hill runs then only lightly. No idea what you guys are going down to need the brakes that much. Maybe the sheave and secondary spring really help gear it down.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
When I tear into mine in a few weeks I was planning on checking mine. I got just over a 1,000 miles on mine so for the conditions I ride in I'm expecting them to probably be worn out. I know the ones on my grizzly were toast just shy of 1,200 miles.

I think a lot of it has to do with riding conditions. It's really Sandy where I ride and sand and water mix get in everywhere and eat brakes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Seems like I read somewhere that engine brake is at its best in 4wd low?
The engine breaking doesn't do anything until you are in 4 low diff lock. I was on a super steep hill, back wheels felt like they were coming off the ground, didn't have a foot on the pedal and I was just creeping.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
The engine braking works at all times. It may seem to work better in low but it works throughout all gears on mine at least. I rarely have to even touch the brakes even on the steepest of hills...

As for the brakes wearing out, the Grizzly's were pretty good at wearing out brakes as well. 1,400 mile and the brakes wearing thin probably isn't going to be all that uncommon.

Reactions: Topstoy

·
Registered
395 Posts
The engine braking works at all times. It may seem to work better in low but it works throughout all gears on mine at least. I rarely have to even touch the brakes even on the steepest of hills...

As for the brakes wearing out, the Grizzly's were pretty good at wearing out brakes as well. 1,400 mile and the brakes wearing thin probably isn't going to be all that uncommon.
I can see that. It still freewheels a bit. Yamaha states that maximum engine breaking is done in 4x4 L diff lock. I mean, it will crawl down the steepest hills on 4x4 L diff lock.

Surprises me that his rears are wearing out. The fronts do most of the work. Usually when fronts are work, rears are still in OK shape. Especially with 4 wheel disks rather than a rear center break.

Probably got mud/sand in there and acted as a major abrasive.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I can see that. It still freewheels a bit. Yamaha states that maximum engine breaking is done in 4x4 L diff lock. I mean, it will crawl down the steepest hills on 4x4 L diff lock.

Surprises me that his rears are wearing out. The fronts do most of the work. Usually when fronts are work, rears are still in OK shape. Especially with 4 wheel disks rather than a rear center break.

Probably got mud/sand in there and acted as a major abrasive.

Yah you have a good point about the front wearing faster than the rear... I had Grizzly on my brain (Independent front and rear) lol.

Well, either way they are cheap and easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The engine braking is caused by a one way roller clutch on the primary sheave. It will be more aggressive in low range because of the gear reduction.
If your machine is freewheeling in any gear but neutral, the one way roller clutch is bad, but that is usually also associated with a noise

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Was just checking and it looks like the Viking and the wolverine have the same brakes, so getting aftermarket ones shouldn't be too hard to find. Yamaha parts are usually just so expensive

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I paid $90.00 for rear brake but had no choice they were down to metal. I'll put a pic on here tomorrow . All we ride is trails mostly steep and I do have 1400 miles. But your are 100% correct "you can't put a price tag on fun"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts