Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the belt when I put in slugs, sheeve and spring and i forgot to look at the direction it was going. Does the arrow need to be pointing to the front of the machine or the back as you look down on it?. Does it really matter?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
It does matter. When looking down on the arrows and with the arrows located between the primary and secondary sheaves, the arrows should be pointing toward the primary sheave.

I answered it this way because I did not want to assume that the primary sheave is in the front (like on the Grizzly 700) since I haven't been into the clutch housing on a Wolverine.

Primary Sheave Nut is torqued to 137 ft.lbs. Secondary Sheave Nut is torqued to 72 ft.lbs.; both per Service Manual page 5-58.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Tips in Service Manual say:

For Loosening Secondary Sheave Nut - "Shift the transmission into "R" (reverse), set the parking brake, and then loosen the secondary sheave assembly nut".

For Tightening Secondary Sheave Nut - "Shift the transmission into "L" (low) or "H" (high), set the parking brake , and then tighten the secondary sheave assembly nut."

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks PapaSkeeta. I checked it and i had it backwards. The primary sheave is toward the rear.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Also, if you forget again, there is an arrow embossed in the engine side half of the CVT cover. I don't think I have a picture of it, but if you are looking at the sheaves, look in the bottom center area of the plastic housing, you will see the arrow there. Match that with the belt arrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Crap! I did a sheave and slug kit a while ago and didn't bother the check belt direction... I've been driving it like this for a while now. Hope I got it right. Now I won't be able to sleep until I take it apart again. If I had it backwards, should I replace it since I've been riding it for a while.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Crap! I did a sheave and slug kit a while ago and didn't bother the check belt direction... I've been driving it like this for a while now. Hope I got it right. Now I won't be able to sleep until I take it apart again. If I had it backwards, should I replace it since I've been riding it for a while.
Relax, it won't hurt anything most likely. I had my belt on and off my rhino 700 a 100 times and never paid any attention to direction, ran same belt for two years racing

However, it is a good practice to put it on the same way every time

Technically there is no direction, you are just supposed to put it on the same direction everytime so they give you a reference to make it easy

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts