Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What started out as a Harbor Freight 2in. receiver hitch rack has become a bed rack for my X2. I wanted something that could allow my cargo box to be opened. With a little cutting and welding, I got what I wanted. Plus my can crusher is now vertical.

Tire Sky Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome net I found on amazon. Fits perfect.

Tire Wheel Plant Car Vehicle

Registered
Very well done. can crusher included!

Not taking away from yours, but a couple years ago we were helping on a backcountry recovery. One of the others was on a Polaris SxS, with onboard air. Yeah, he rigged a pneumatic crusher right where yours is.

• Haha
Reactions: therebel19

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very well done. can crusher included!

Not taking away from yours, but a couple years ago we were helping on a backcountry recovery. One of the others was on a Polaris SxS, with onboard air. Yeah, he rigged a pneumatic crusher right where yours is.
(y)Now that would be awesome!

Registered
Nice job on the rack. I see you have a direct air roof vent and was thinking about one of those for my X4. How well does that work? I was hoping to equalize the cab pressure and help avoid dust.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job on the rack. I see you have a direct air roof vent and was thinking about one of those for my X4. How well does that work? I was hoping to equalize the cab pressure and help avoid dust.
Well to be honest, it does help a little ,very little. Of course the faster you go the better it does but with speeds of 15-20 mph it doesn't really do much.

Registered
In theory it was a good concept. I had not taken into account the lower speeds. I guess I won't be cutting holes in my roof after all. I wonder if those windshield vents are effective
Thanks for your input

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In theory it was a good concept. I had not taken into account the lower speeds. I guess I won't be cutting holes in my roof after all. I wonder if those windshield vents are effective
Thanks for your input
On my Rhino I made a glass windshield frame and I put vents in it and they worked very well as the hood acted like a scoop that pushed the air in. I would go that route.

Registered
I hope you don鈥檛 have a patent, cause I鈥檓 ripping your build. I was going to hang it from the roll cage and kick legs down to the bed, but that sounds like a bad idea, any flex would be bad.

What did you do on the bed rail? Flat bar with welded tabs? Anything you would do differently?
that鈥檚 all plastic on the bed rails, but I think modest loads would be ok.

Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive design

I will probably run my legs straight down, to the bed rail.

Attachments

Registered
And just for grins, here is the recovery I was in on. We had 2 jeep, 1 SxS and a couple atvs pulling home boy out. No idea how he even got in this far, my lifted Jeep was struggling to go there.

Plant Cloud Sky Plant community Nature
Car Wheel Plant Tire Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope you don鈥檛 have a patent, cause I鈥檓 ripping your build. I was going to hang it from the roll cage and kick legs down to the bed, but that sounds like a bad idea, any flex would be bad.

What did you do on the bed rail? Flat bar with welded tabs? Anything you would do differently?
that鈥檚 all plastic on the bed rails, but I think modest loads would be ok.

View attachment 104426

I will probably run my legs straight down, to the bed rail.
Yea that is damn near infringement! LOL
I thought about the cage mount also but was worried about clearance when lifting the bed. My mount to the bed is just a piece of flat stock and then I used old bushings for spacers where the bed dips. Unfortunately the bed is plastic but I wasn't planning on hauling a ton up there anyhow. The only thing I would have done a little different was to let the rack a little wider (front to back) as I cut a little too much off but I wasn't cutting it again and welding it again.

Registered
I鈥檓 going to use 1.5鈥 angle on the bed rail. I鈥檒l cut away most of the vertical angle, leaving a 2.5鈥 tab vertical, front and rear. Those tabs will be where I bolt the support legs. I might not do much welding at all. The middle if the harbor freight rack has a void of course from removing the 2鈥 that was the hitch mount.
To keep max width, I鈥檒l fill in that void with 2鈥 pieces of 3/4 square tube.

Legs will be 3/4 tube also. There is one place under the bed rail I can catch a steel frame part, but not sure if I鈥檒l go that far.

Thanks for the input. Yours came out great.

Reactions: Ron505

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I鈥檓 going to use 1.5鈥 angle on the bed rail. I鈥檒l cut away most of the vertical angle, leaving a 2.5鈥 tab vertical, front and rear. Those tabs will be where I bolt the support legs. I might not do much welding at all. The middle if the harbor freight rack has a void of course from removing the 2鈥 that was the hitch mount.
To keep max width, I鈥檒l fill in that void with 2鈥 pieces of 3/4 square tube.

Legs will be 3/4 tube also. There is one place under the bed rail I can catch a steel frame part, but not sure if I鈥檒l go that far.

Thanks for the input. Yours came out great.
You just made me remember something. My mount to the bed I used flat stock with a piece of angle welded to it.I also used angle on top that was welded to the rack also. Look at my pics closely (kinda hard to see). After these pics were taken,I then had to make gussets that went from the rack to the top of the legs. Without the gussets the rack swayed back and forth even though I used angle. Thanks and good luck to your build. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Ron505

Registered
You just made me remember something. My mount to the bed I used flat stock with a piece of angle welded to it.I also used angle on top that was welded to the rack also. Look at my pics closely (kinda hard to see). After these pics were taken,I then had to make gussets that went from the rack to the top of the legs. Without the gussets the rack swayed back and forth even though I used angle. Thanks and good luck to your build. Keep us posted.
i was able to zoom in on yours and kinda figured that. Once I get it built up I鈥檒l get an angle for gussets. Oh yeah, I鈥檒l keep ya posted. Less than 5 weeks to elk camp deployment.

Plant Sky Plant community Tent Tarpaulin

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i was able to zoom in on yours and kinda figured that. Once I get it built up I鈥檒l get an angle for gussets. Oh yeah, I鈥檒l keep ya posted. Less than 5 weeks to elk camp deployment.

View attachment 104477
Looks like nice riding there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts