Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my wolverine I want to run a optima yellow top just to have more power and AMP hours would it be safe to run the optima with the stock battery or completely do away with stock battery and run one big battery and extend my cables? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
On my wolverine I want to run a optima yellow top just to have more power and AMP hours would it be safe to run the optima with the stock battery or completely do away with stock battery and run one big battery and extend my cables? Any input would be appreciated.
Well, the short answer is, no, it is not safe to run the new yellow top with the stock battery.

You can either run a second, identical to stock, battery that is tied in parallel; or you can eliminate the stock one and throw the yellow top in there. However, word of caution:your stock stator will not charge the yellow top any more than it would the stock battery. So, for example, if you are buying this battery because you're running the stock battery down with a winch, then the yellow top will only prolong the inevitable. It will still discharge the battery past what the stock stator can handle, it will just take longer to do it.

So, if you really want to upgrade, here is what I recommend. Buy your battery of choice, optima yellow top, duralast gold, whatever turns you on(FWIW I would take the Duralast Gold). Remove the stock battery, reroute the wiring to the new location. Install a quick disconnect battery tender lead, and plan on plugging in your machine whenever it is not in use. This will ensure a charged battery whenever you need it, and give you a greater capacity for winching out those popo's..lol

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks man I keep my stock battery now on a battery tender I was just wanting something to give it a little more power when I use my winch which is a 5000lb my volt gauge will go down to 11.9 and 12.1 trying to somehow keep the amps up if possible.

·
Vendor
782 Posts
One other way, add it as a second battery but use a isolator, I have not looked on my wolverine but I did this on several rhinos, cut the charge wire from rectifier (battery voltage regulator) and run it to the input on the isolator, then from bat one run a wire to charge stock battery, from bat 2 run a wire to charge second battery. These wires don't need to be any larger than 12 or 10 ga. Then still charge the second battery at home. Put the winch and any other accessories on the second battery and when it dies, you can still crank up and go home. This set up also allows the stock system to charge both batteries but it won't be enough to keep up under constant electrical loads such as lights and radios etc.

Also, where you cut the charge wire at rectifier, terminate that wire where it goes in the harness, it will be still be hot as it will be backfeed.

Todd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.