Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quick update on these shocks. I am still dialing them in slowly, but these shocks have completely exceeded my expectations. I am able to cruise at a significantly higher speed compared to stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just ordered my Bandits yesterday. I really hope they are as good as all the reviews on here, the Teryx and RZR forums say. Pretty excited!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just ordered my Bandits yesterday. I really hope they are as good as all the reviews on here, the Teryx and RZR forums say. Pretty excited!
They show out of stock on the bandit website. Did you order then from bandit direct?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
They show out of stock on the bandit website. Did you order then from bandit direct?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yes direct from Bandit. They had them in stock a few weeks ago and I wanted to order them and when I went back a day later they said out of stock. So I have been watching and they were back in stock yesterda, so I ordered them up.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got my bandits on Friday and installed them. Went riding yesterday and the front felt good but rear seemed just as bad or worse than stock. I was under the impression that they were shipped set at zero preload, 2 clicks on the compression, and didnt know on rebound. So when I checked them my rebound was 4 in the front and 7 in the rear. Compression was at 0. I turned the compression up to 4 on the rear and continued riding. It felt better after that in the rear. I also backed the preload off 10 turns of the adjuster. So of the people that are pretty happy with them, what are your settings? I'm going to try and take a day off this week and go back out and play around with it more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
with some of the luke warm reviews, I'm thinking about sticking with stock shocks, adding the perfex 2" life, and toying with tire pressure to get a good ride. I hate to spend 1500 to 2000 for an "improved but not perfect ride."

·
Registered
61 Posts
with some of the luke warm reviews, I'm thinking about sticking with stock shocks, adding the perfex 2" life, and toying with tire pressure to get a good ride. I hate to spend 1500 to 2000 for an "improved but not perfect ride."
Yeah I hear you. I will say it is nice having more ground clearance and my stock rear shocks were bottoming out with just my 9 year old daughter and her friend in the back. They weigh Probably 130 lbs between the 2 of them. And that was just on some little whoops going like 30-40 mph on fire roads. And with no way really of stiffening them up I didn't have much choice. I'm hoping I can get them dialed in better. Slower speed rough stuff like 10 mph and less is pretty amazing now. Really a lot smoother. I just would like to get the higher speed stuff a lot more smooth. So we'll see.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Got my bandits on Friday and installed them. Went riding yesterday and the front felt good but rear seemed just as bad or worse than stock. I was under the impression that they were shipped set at zero preload, 2 clicks on the compression, and didnt know on rebound. So when I checked them my rebound was 4 in the front and 7 in the rear. Compression was at 0. I turned the compression up to 4 on the rear and continued riding. It felt better after that in the rear. I also backed the preload off 10 turns of the adjuster. So of the people that are pretty happy with them, what are your settings? I'm going to try and take a day off this week and go back out and play around with it more.
I can't recall my settings right off hand but one thing I did that helped was adding preload in the front. My machine now sits near level, measuring at the A arm mounts front and rear. I always run about a half inch of sag in the rear on my sport machines. This is tough to achieve on the x4 but I am as close as I can get for now. Be careful taking too much preload from the rear. Mine are backed off as far as I can. Any more and I would be worried about the springs unloading at full shock extension. I know my front rebound and compression are about 5 clicks from soft in the front. I cant recall what I did with the rears. I still get some bucking from time to time but I suspect that is due to the short wheel base of these machines. It is way better than stock though. My biggest gain has been the lift and the suspension is less jarring. The ride is cushy while still allowing for aggressive riding. I'm still very happy with this purchase and would rank it near the top of the list of mods I've done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Went out Thurs afternoon and yesterday and hit some familiar trails to compare stock and new shocks. Front preload is where they sent them to me. Rear preload is 10 turns softer than when they sent them. It is amazing to me how a few clicks of rebound and preload adjustment can feel so different. Wolverine handles so much better than stock on fast corners(30-40MPH) and switchback trail riding. Compression I'm at 3 front and 4 rear from soft. Rebound I'm at the same. Soaks up potholes(6" or so deep) in the trail pretty amazing. The first 2 miles of this 1 trail is pretty rocky with mostly softball size rock and ruts. 1 of the things i noticed is my GPS is on a ball RAM mount and on that part of the trail I need to raise the GPS back up and tighten it. Usually throughout the day I need to do that 3+ times because it would vibrate down. It stayed put all day on the same rough trails and I was at higher speeds because the suspension was soaking up the bumps. The extra ground clearance was nice to have also. I know I would have been bashing more rocks with the stock shocks.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I just went out and checked my ride height again. 13.25" in the rear and 13.5" in the front. I didn't want to back the rears off any because I was worried about the springs possibly becoming unseated at full shock extension. i did go a turn or 2 looser than zero preload and cranked the fronts a few more turns than my initial setting to achieve this ride height. I'm still playing with the clickers but I'm in the neighborhood of where I think they need to be. There is no comparison to the ride between these and the stock shocks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bumping an old thread because I've now been able to try out the Bandits on more varied terrain. I've put about 800 miles on them on rocky Tennessee trails, WV outlaw trails, and the Hatfield McCoy system. A good mix of low, medium, and high speed. I'm happy to report that they've gone a long way towards fixing my main beef with the stock suspension - rear bucking at moderate speeds and high. No more bone jarring from every rock and pothole. For the past 300 miles I've had the front sway bar disconnected and I didn't notice any additional body roll but it definitely rides nicer and is more sure footed in uneven terrain. I'll be disconnecting the rear sway bar for the next trip. Honestly, the ride was bad enough with the stock shocks that I'd probably have sold the X4 by now if I hadn't bought the Bandits.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Bumping an old thread because I've now been able to try out the Bandits on more varied terrain. I've put about 800 miles on them on rocky Tennessee trails, WV outlaw trails, and the Hatfield McCoy system. A good mix of low, medium, and high speed. I'm happy to report that they've gone a long way towards fixing my main beef with the stock suspension - rear bucking at moderate speeds and high. No more bone jarring from every rock and pothole. For the past 300 miles I've had the front sway bar disconnected and I didn't notice any additional body roll but it definitely rides nicer and is more sure footed in uneven terrain. I'll be disconnecting the rear sway bar for the next trip. Honestly, the ride was bad enough with the stock shocks that I'd probably have sold the X4 by now if I hadn't bought the Bandits.
Thanks for the feedback, seems like a person definitely wouldn't regret upgrading to Bandits or Walker Evans

·
Registered
254 Posts
As many of us have come to find out, the suspension of the X4 leaves a lot to be desired. My other machine is a wildcat sport with elkas. Every ride, I found myself hating the stock suspension more and more. The addition of carnivore tires and removing the front sway bar made it tolerable at best. I began searching for shock options a few months ago. I found that my options were R spec shocks, Walker Evans, Bandit, 814s or possibly respringing the Stock shocks (JBS). The price of the Rspec shocks and possibly having to respring them, wasn't appealing to me. The Walker Evans had great reviews but were somewhere around 1800ish to get them. I found very few people running the 814s and there were as many negative reviews as positive reviews, at least for the x4. I was pretty much left with the bandits. I have some experience using their springs on my wifes wildcat trail. Using their springs on the stock fox shocks totally transformed her machine. I contacted them and inquired about a military discount. To my surprise, they offered one even though the shocks are already listed as being on sale. This brought them down to a very enticing price and I decided to pull the trigger. Here are some pics and my initial thoughts.

The shocks came packaged very nicely and were delivered promptly. I ordered on a Monday and received them on Thursday night. The shocks came set at zero preload, compression was set 2 clicks from full soft and rebound was 5 clicks from full slow. They are pretty much ready to drop in. The shocks feature 3/4" shafts and dual rate springs, both of which I consider to be better than the other shocks offered. Looking at the photos, the shocks are slightly longer than my stock shocks with a little under 600 miles. They definitely feel like a quality product. I think the only thing I could find to gripe about is the compression and rebound adjusters. They require a small screw driver as opposed to having knobs. This is fine for the compression as it is up high on the shock and easy to get at. The rebound is down low and will require a very short screw driver to get in between the wheel and the shock. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

Prior to install, I took several ground clearance measurements and found that the stock shocks had sagged quite a bit over the course of 500 or so miles. This explains why I had noticed my rear tires were rubbing on the last couple of rides. As the machine sat unloaded with the stock shocks, I could barely get 2 fingers between the frame rail and the rear tire. After installing the shocks and gaining some clearance back, I can easily get 3 fingers in between the tire and frame rail. I am hoping this helps to alleviate some of the rubbing. After my final adjustments were made, I have 2.75" more GC in the front than with the sagging shocks and .75" more than I've ever had. The rear gained 3.5" over the sagging stockers and about .5" more than I ever had. I should note that I cranked the preload on the front shocks to achieve and 80/20 ratio of up/down travel. I did nothing to the rears because the rear is already sitting higher than I would like. the rear shocks are currently set at zero preload and are more along the lines of 70/30 for up and down travel. I figure I will have to play with both of these settings as the springs settle and I plan to actually load the vehicle with some weight to achieve my final settings. I have included a table that shows my various ground clearances.

The install was pretty simple. I was able to do the fronts with the wheels still on the machine. The rears were a bit of a pain. I had to take the wheels off and removing the lower shock mount was a bit of a challenge, reinstalling it was even more challenging. The passenger side shock had to be compressed slightly with a ratchet strap in order to get it to slide in. The drivers side dropped right in. All in all, it took about 4 hours but that was taking lots of measurements and taking some pictures.

I will not be able to put these to a full test for a few months. I have a 2 acre yard but it is pretty well manicured. I hit every rough spot I could find in my yard. I did this immediately prior to install and again right after install. The results are pretty positive. The machine feels like riding a Cadillac compared to stock. The ride is soft but not squishy. It somehow maintains a sporty feel without being harsh. I have one spot in my yard that will knock your teeth out if you hit it hard. I was able to hit this spot at the fastest achievable speed before and after. With the bandit shocks, i still experienced a bit of bucking but it was so much less abusive. Hitting this same spot in my wifes trail, nearly ejected me from the machine once. I have these shocks set pretty soft so I'm sure they will only get better.

The bottom line, for me it was worth it just to get my ride height back and get rid of the horrible self leveling shocks that seem to pump themselves up while going through whoops. I can't say that these are better or equal to the WE or the 814s but at their price point they are very good.

P.S.
The unloaded measurement in the table is jacking the machine up until the tires are just touching the ground. To me it illustrates the amount that the shock can travel from its loaded position. It also shows that there was some gain in suspension travel with the new shocks.
I ordered the SERIES 46 GENERATION 3 shocks today after some trepidation. Hoping they work out.

Oil leaked completely out of my stock left front shock so I had to do something.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
I installed the Bandit shocks today. I am very happy with the ride and lift. HUGE improvement over the stock shocks. Stock rear shocks were sagging like crazy. Right front stock shock oil leaked out.

It is damn near criminal that yamaha put such cheap shocks on the x4.

Anyway, these are very good shocks for the money. And the new clearance is perfect.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't recall my settings right off hand but one thing I did that helped was adding preload in the front. My machine now sits near level, measuring at the A arm mounts front and rear. I always run about a half inch of sag in the rear on my sport machines. This is tough to achieve on the x4 but I am as close as I can get for now. Be careful taking too much preload from the rear. Mine are backed off as far as I can. Any more and I would be worried about the springs unloading at full shock extension. I know my front rebound and compression are about 5 clicks from soft in the front. I cant recall what I did with the rears. I still get some bucking from time to time but I suspect that is due to the short wheel base of these machines. It is way better than stock though. My biggest gain has been the lift and the suspension is less jarring. The ride is cushy while still allowing for aggressive riding. I'm still very happy with this purchase and would rank it near the top of the list of mods I've done.
Didnt you loose all your travel in the rear by loosening the springs that much?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts