Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sounds like your results were similar to mine. I was considering doing the same, adding preload in the front and removing it from the rear. I just want to get some time on them first to let everything settle in.

My shocks were all marked with what location they went in. Also, my front shocks were longer than my stockers but it could just be that my stock ones had sagged that much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Installed my Bandits last night!!!! Bad part I won't be able to really test them until early March. So far it's looking like I gained 2" in the front and 2.5" in the back of ground clearance without any preload adjustment. I was planning adjusting the preload up a bit in the front. Really excited to get this thing out!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh the suspense!!! I can't wait to hear some results! im so close to pulling the trigger, but I just bought a 21ft class C MH so now i can tow whatever SxS I want instead of what will fit in the back of my truck. I like the overall package of the X4, just need to improve the ride and maybe some more power.... the ability to tow a general 4 or something similar is getting tempting as they have more power and ride nice but are a damn land yacht compared to the X4 in the tight stuff and its hard to beat the yamaha reliability.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah suspense is right!!! I just chopped the rear of the cage to fit in the garage. It turned out great. Now I won't worry about fitting in my you hauler.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well here are my thoughts. For me, just being able to get my ride height back, and then some, was worth the money. It will be awhile before I will know how much better these shocks are. I will probably put at least one ride on them before I fiddle with the settings too much. I really wish the weather would cooperate so I could get out to one of the ohv parks.

As for going to a different machine. The power of some of the others may be tempting but if you ride tight stuff like we do, that power is wasted because most of those machines are too long to navigate the trails at high speeds anyway. I've had to stop and weight for those school buses to winch themselves off of obstacles that leave them high centered or wait while they make a 3 point turn around a tight corner. Those machines certainly have their advantages and their place but where we ride, you are best off in a 2 seat rzr, general, OG Maverick, teryx, wolverine or pioneer. Basically any of the 10' machines.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im with you there Kevin. I love the package of the X4, but the ride, lack of power, and lack of a decent cruising speed on open areas/roads (50mph with minimal throttle) is my biggest issue. Its been one of the best all around machines I've had (I've had 8 now) we just do so many different types of riding and many of them being higher speed trips on back roads/FS roads at higher altitudes. If it had 100hp and a little more suspension, I'd be set for life. Yamaha did an outstanding job, they just need to refine it now. The biggest issue for my family is the kids get the tar beat out of them in the back on choppy stuff of any speed, I think this is directly related to the seat placement right over the rear tires. Theres a give and take with the wheel base. I hope shocks will help this for everyone else's sake. Its fine and ride pretty decent with 4 adults, but then feels under powered. If all I did was technical trail riding in the mountains, I wouldn't thing twice about selling it. Id buy suspension and call it a day.
I may have found a deal on a OG maverick max turbo in great shape with a ton of accessories for about what I can get out of my X4 so I may go that route. It will be sportier, have a smoother ride, and have no problem cruising at 60mph. I had a 2 seat OG maverick before the X4 and it was a great machine. I wish they would come out with a damn 4 seat YXZ as I've had one of those too and they are a blast to drive. I also bought a 21ft motorhome so im not limited to what can fit in the back of my truck or my short toy hauler anymore either which was the main reason I bought the X4.
Well see what happens, none the less I'll be waiting to hear how these shocks work!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was able to put about twenty miles on the shocks. Conditions were lots of snow, deep powder, and ruts. I can say so far these shocks were a great upgrade. I will have to give a full review when I get some miles on them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
A few weeks ago my wife and I got ours out for the first time with the new Bandits. We spent two days riding in the North Cumberland WMA in Tennessee. I've heard them called the toughest trails in the East and I believe it. Very rocky and steep. I bought the Bandits more for 30+ MPH runs on potholed dirt roads and trails but was very pleased with how much they improved slower riding in difficult terrain. The 2" gain in ground clearance was a nice bonus. The winch got a good workout and convinced me to switch from steel cable to synthetic rope.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
That looks inviting! Neat country.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That looks inviting! Neat country.
It was a blast but to be honest two days of it was enough because it's pretty rough. Part of the WMA's lease agreement with the coal/lumber companies is that they're not allowed to groom trails. We'll be heading to Colorado for a couple weeks in late August so it'll be interesting to see how it compares. I'll probably start a separate thread on it since I don't have a clue where we should be going and what trails we want to hit. We just know we want to see the Rockies from a SXS.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It was a blast but to be honest two days of it was enough because it's pretty rough. Part of the WMA's lease agreement with the coal/lumber companies is that they're not allowed to groom trails. We'll be heading to Colorado for a couple weeks in late August so it'll be interesting to see how it compares. I'll probably start a separate thread on it since I don't have a clue where we should be going and what trails we want to hit. We just know we want to see the Rockies from a SXS.
A lot of the real high alpine roads and trails aren’t very technical but the views are worth it!

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I finally got a good ride in on the bandits. The terrain was a little bit of everything that we normally encounter. Some slow technical stuff, some wooded trails with speeds 15-25 mph and some high speed open fields. I have them set a few clicks from full soft on rebound and compression. The ride on the intermediate speed trails was great, just as I anticipated. The ride is very soft but not squishy. I was able to corner hard with full confidence. The biggest thing was that if you did hit a large dip or a bump, the shocks softened the blow substantially. I have my front sway bar disconnected and will probably leave it that way. My biggest surprise was how well they improved the machine during slow technical stuff. The machine just felt less tippy and more confident. I had also added air to my tires, I went from 12 to 16 lbs. 16 is what maxxis recommended for the weight of this machine, I had been running 12 as it improved the ride. I think I'm going to stick with the 16lbs for now. I met another X4 rider today. Our machines had all the same mods with his on 27" kenda HTR and mine on 28" carnivores. There was a noticeable difference in ground clearance and after seeing mine, he said he was ordering a set. I did still experience some slight bucking in whoops sections. I am going to adjust the preload to achieve a better front to rear rake. as of now, I sit about an inch high in the rear. Ive always run my machines with a slight droop in the rear. All in all I am very happy with this mod and I feel that it was 1200 bucks well spent.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Good to hear the positive results! I'm still concerned with the full drop maxing out the cv axles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm ordering the Bandits soon, has anyone ran them with both sway bars disconnected? I'm running stock now with both disconnected to improve ride, should I keep them disconnected with upgraded shock/springs?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm ordering the Bandits soon, has anyone ran them with both sway bars disconnected? I'm running stock now with both disconnected to improve ride, should I keep them disconnected with upgraded shock/springs?
I’d be interested in hearing as well.

Both sway bars removed really improves the ride. Haha!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I found increasing the spring preload by 1/8" helped after I disconnected both sway bars. It's still a wallowy buggy just not quite as much. So depending on what the Bandits are at, you will probably notice a difference.

I removed my front shocks to change their preload. The rears were easy to do on the machine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found increasing the spring preload by 1/8" helped after I disconnected both sway bars. It's still a wallowy buggy just not quite as much.
Thanks, they should be here in a couple of weeks, I'll dial the 1/8" in and give it a go!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks, they should be here in a couple of weeks, I'll dial the 1/8" in and give it a go!
I sent Paul a text about this, but figured I'd post my finding; on my X4 when I went with a wider stance (4+3 offset wheels and 1.5" spacer in the rear), the body sway with no sway bars connected almost vanished. There was a clear difference between the wider offset wheels and factory.

Something to keep in mind if you like the Bandits without sway bars, but the higher COG makes you feel tipsy.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts