Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Bandit helper springs

53K views 194 replies 34 participants last post by  dygz21 
#1 ·
Has anyone considered buying these or does anyone already have them? I was going to buy a set of shock therapy springs when they come out hopefully. But was wondering about these:

#140 ·
So the 32” tires I’m getting are from my nephew used but new. They are on 5-2 bead lock wheels. It’s a steal for me but I’m starting to wonder if I shouldn’t go wider. These would be just to put on for rock crawling where stability counts.
Could you measure that and tell me what the stance is now?

#142 · (Edited)
I need to adjust my fronts about another 1/4" to make it 1/2" higher in front, but mine corners much flatter with less nose dive into corners and takes a bigger hit with better up travel. Overall a great add on for a little lift and to sweeten up an already good suspension. I just set the rears 1/4" down from zero preload, then adjusted the front to the rear.

#149 ·
I'm raising the front 1/4" because as you raise the front, the rear will go down, and the preferred set up is about 1/2" higher in front, which is where I should be from being about 1/2" higher in the rear.. It's generally for better handling and balance. Look at most any race truck or trophy truck, they are usually several inches higher in front.

#154 ·
I got the bandit tender springs for the 2 seater rmax, and the backs seemed to be far too stiff. took them off and put the stock back on, and the ride quality was improved. anyone else see to notice the rear being far stiffer with the bandits, even at no preload.

also to get the front to ride better i had to set them at 0 preload, witch set the thing raked down in the front hard.. not very impressed with this kit initially.

when i adjusted the rear to 0 preload, and set the front ride height accordingly to remove the rake, the ride was like a shopping cart. looked good, but not worth it. like i said i went back to stock.

#157 ·
Same here, when you put new springs on they need to be broken in and will soften up a bit, the Bandits are a welcome addition for me and the overall ride seems better. My rear is at zero preload + 1/4", and front adjusted 1/4" higher than the rear, seems fine to me. @jimw take that thing out and bounce that suspension through some whoops somewhere and break those springs in!

Reactions: Budro2
#159 ·
Super easy...

Reactions: TN_Max
#164 ·
Finally back in stock and ordered!

#166 ·
Yeah I saw that, I was like damn. But if I do not like mine maybe they will be for sale lol. Hoping to get some gopro of them

Reactions: Happycamper08
#167 ·
Mine will be here tomorrow. Just finished removing the sway bars on the X2.

#168 ·
Okay so I got them and installed them in about an hour removing only the bottom bolt. I started low on the preload and basically ended back where it was stock in the front and a little different in the rear.

I feel the springs are a good compromise. I like the lift that they gave it. about 1.5" front and rear. I put 5 miles on it around my farm. I think they do not soak up the smallest bumps at lost speed as well as stock. But once the speeds pick up they are MUCH better and the rear on medium matches the front shocks on medium a lot better I feel. I did not notice any increased body roll. I cannot wait to get the machine to a more wide open area to really test them out. Buddy just got a KRX so we will be going on a trip before too long.

For X2 guys that upgraded the springs on the stock shocks I would say it is comparable to that upgrade in that it is better overall but definitely a little more suited to aggressive driving.

#172 ·
I installed my Bandits today. I set the rear at 1.5" of exposed thread and ended up at 5" of thread up front. It still have a little rake but I'm going to go hammer on it Tuesday to settle things in better before final adjustment. I ended up with around 16" of clearance on 32s. View attachment 97072 View attachment 97073
I found the recommended setup of zero preload (adjuster nut just holding the spring slightly snug, then tighten 1/4") , then adjusting the front to 1/4 to 1/2" higher than the rear is probably the softest setting for preload front and rear. I have noticed zero shock banging with this setup, even through big whoops or jumping. There are no real measurements that correspond to the original measurement based settings. And they do settle in a little and smooth out as any new spring would do.

#171 ·
If you end up having a lot of noise up front as your front shock hits full extension when going through big boulders then backing the preload off a little will resolve it. Your about where I was on clearance initially and I had to change it a bit cause the noise was driving me nuts.

#175 ·
Yes, the b-pillar comes with the rear window. When I ordered my rig last year, I purchased a full cab because I run tracks in the winter. Unfortunately, none it was available so I also purchased the flip down windshield, soft sides and back. When the front and rear glass arrived, I sold off the rest including the soft sides because they don't play well with the glass. I'm hoping that the full doors come in before winter, its has been nearly a year afterall. If not, I am going to build upper frames and have canvas made to custom canvas made utilizing the current snaps.

#179 ·
This is probably not the proper place for this but I
The latest response that I received from the Yamaha Regional Manager is "hopefully" in the fourth quarter of this year.
[/QUO
'm going to post. All my RMAX I'm the past year. Reverse order..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.