Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered buying these or does anyone already have them? I was going to buy a set of shock therapy springs when they come out hopefully. But was wondering about these:

Reactions: Jimbo

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
949 Posts
I have read they worked well to smooth out the Talon X, plus 1 1/2" - 2" lift. I may try them,,,,, not sure what the point of springs being already compressed is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same thing... like why is the spring all the way used up unless it is meant to be super smooth as it goes into ruts and such, extending the travel down.

Reactions: madelinot

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im wondering the same..I used bandit springs full setup on my rzr 900s and was way way better then stock specially with the 2.5 inches of sag I was getting from stock..so If the Yamahas tender springs come Basically compressed from factory then this is basically a must buy for me.. can anyone who already received their rmax takes pics of tender springs or let us know how theirs are sitting?

·
Registered
2021 RMax4 XT-R
27 Posts
I can attest to Upper Springs /Tender Springs/ are fully compressed... someone commented on another FB page about this and it was explained (supposedly by Yamaha) it is as designed for shock travel down and soft recovery on hard bumps when shock extends, not in use all the time on easy rides, main spring is used then.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm I understand how they work, and I guess everyone will kind of have their own theory as to if it should be like that or not..all I know is when I changed the compressed springs from my rzr 900 to the bandit heavier rate I was flying over rock beds and landing small jumps much better and just brought me back to factory clearance which is what I lwanted most.. so not sure..I think I’m going to do them and I will circle back after done..I will break It in with the stock setup then change the tender springs do some more Kms and let you guys know what I think

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has anyone considered buying these or does anyone already have them? I was going to buy a set of shock therapy springs when they come out hopefully. But was wondering about these:

OK, I'm interested in these springs as well, here is my dumb question, would a person need a spring compressor to install these??
Thanks
kenner

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I used to be on the RZRForums and there was a guy that goes by the handle Pound Sand. I believe he is also known as Ed "The Suspension Guy". Very knowledgeable in shock and spring tuning. I recommend googling him and reading some of his post across various forums. If I was going to try any suspension tuning, I'd contact him first. In my opinion he seems to know a little more than Shock Therapy when dialing things in exactly as the customer wants it..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just checked my upper springs and they are completely collapsed , almost like a solid spring, the rear upper springs are about 75 % collapsed, and that is after I turned the adjuster lock nuts off and rotated the spring 4 complete turns up, trying to get a smoother ride.

kenner

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I just checked my upper springs and they are completely collapsed , almost like a solid spring, the rear upper springs are about 75 % collapsed, and that is after I turned the adjuster lock nuts off and rotated the spring 4 complete turns up, trying to get a smoother ride.

kenner
Let’s just be careful not to confuse the terms “collapsed” and “compressed”!
Collapsed springs are weak and have sagged! Compressed springs are simply under compression by the adjusting nut! All of these units come with the tender springs from factory under compression by Yamaha. They are not collapsed. At least “NOT YET” The fronts are under much more compression than the rears.
No doubt aftermarket tender springs will be a benefit. No doubt a true crossover ring allowing them to work independently will be an even bigger benefit.
The ride is acceptable to me but we all know it could be better, It’s all about money!
I’ll probably run mine for 2-3 years and then Shock Therapy or some entity will have a good system dialed in. By then the shocks could use some maintenance so it will be a good to time to spend some money on a top notch spring package and have the shocks serviced and re-valved for the best possible ride it’s capable of.
I’m certainly interested in what the Bandits do, but it would have to be a significant honest improvement in ride quality all while maintaining at least the same ride height with the tender spring not under so much compression, otherwise I’ll wait on Shock Therapy to to work up the optimum package rather than have the shocks nickel and dime me!

Reactions: Jimbo and Rhinohio

·
Registered
634 Posts
All makes sense EXCEPT the upper spring is fully bound up just sitting. That was not any part of the spring explanation.

Coil bind was mentioned as in when little spring gets used up it binds while being used. One completely compressed just standing there requires further explanation.

It can only be for drop out when car gets light it opens up to keep the tires planted in the downward stroke.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Agreed, what good is the upper spring all compressed at stand still, will not do any thing for ride quality for sure.
kenner

·
Registered
634 Posts
Agreed, what good is the upper spring all compressed at stand still, will not do any thing for ride quality for sure.
kenner
Oh but it will. I think. When the machine gets light it would I believe help to keep the tires following the terrain and getting traction and allow it to smoothly suck up the whoops and settle in gracefully to the full weight of vehicle as it floats over them.

Jack up the machine and I believe you will find the spring opens up and actually has coil spacing and is working just static weight of vehicle collapses it fully.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
949 Posts
Oh but it will. I think. When the machine gets light it would I believe help to keep the tires following the terrain and getting traction and allow it to smoothly suck up the whoops and settle in gracefully to the full weight of vehicle as it floats over them.

Jack up the machine and I believe you will find the spring opens up and actually has coil spacing and is working just static weight of vehicle collapses it fully.
Exactly. It is designed that way for a reason. Adding the upper Bandit tenders might help the suspension in both directions, not to mention a bit of lift.

Reactions: Markp and Budro2

·
Registered
35 Posts
With proper tender spring that’s not compressed wouldn’t that still be giving you even more down pressure when the machine is light? Seems to me like fox didn’t take in true weight of the machine..then when you start adding bars and cargo and passengers and beer and tools it needs a higher rate spring in my eyes.. I would personally rather be a tad bit stiff . we do alot of mud stiff and maximum height helps in the deep stuff.. I’ll be ordering anyhow

·
Registered
634 Posts
With proper tender spring that’s not compressed wouldn’t that still be giving you even more down pressure when the machine is light? Seems to me like fox didn’t take in true weight of the machine..then when you start adding bars and cargo and passengers and beer and tools it needs a higher rate spring in my eyes.. I would personally rather be a tad bit stiff . we do alot of mud stiff and maximum height helps in the deep stuff.. I’ll be ordering anyhow
I think it would be good too but if you use a lighter one that travels further because it travels from fully released to fully collapsed before main spring does anything so you are gaining extra travel in the light springs soaking up even more of the rough ride. Just a way of thinking about it with Yamaha's design in mind as being something that was done intentionally. I would certainly want to experiment with other spring options that aren't bottomed at a stand still and see no doubt. Seems odd have to admit just trying to justify their design I recon.

·
Premium Member
2021 Wolverine RMAX2 1000
147 Posts
I’m waiting on some pictures of these on one of the RMAX’s here. Not sure if there easy to install or need a spring compression tool to install.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts