Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going back and forth about removing the front shoulder bolster things. What are peoples thoughts. I am not a smaller guy, and plan on using this ice fishing a bunch in the winter when I will be in about 6 layers of clothes, plus jumping in and out a bunch, but I wondered if anyone had cut them off and then regretted doing it.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2022 Wolverine RMAX4 1000 XT-R
49 Posts
If you mean those plastic covered wings that act as a barrier to prevent your upper body from going out the window I can tell you from experience they do their job in a fast rollover. Your shoulder hits that first and keeps your head off the ground. I still have the light bruise.

I would be more inclined to find a way to make them removable rather than remove them entirely. Maybe you can find a straight enough part of the tubes that run around to the back of the seat to cut it and slip a larger tight fitting tube over it like a sleeve and then drill holes through both tubes on each end of the sleeve to make it a bolt on part or even a quick release pin on one end. They don’t really stick out very far so I would keep them on except for specific activities where they really get in the way.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you mean those plastic covered wings that act as a barrier to prevent your upper body from going out the window I can tell you from experience they do their job in a fast rollover. Your shoulder hits that first and keeps your head off the ground. I still have the light bruise.

I would be more inclined to find a way to make them removable rather than remove them entirely. Maybe you can find a straight enough part of the tubes that run around to the back of the seat to cut it and slip a larger tight fitting tube over it like a sleeve and then drill holes through both tubes on each end of the sleeve to make it a bolt on part or even a quick release pin on one end. They don’t really stick out very far so I would keep them on except for specific activities where they really get in the way.
Or maybe re-locate them an inch or so out. I have been looking at doing that.

·
Registered
2022 Wolverine RMAX4 1000 XT-R
49 Posts
I’m guessing the reason they are so tight to your shoulder is to keep you as far inside as possible. It’s also nice if there is little or no gap between the hard surface and your shoulder for the same reason that it sucks when you shoot a rifle with a solid stock without it pulled tight to your shoulder, it hammers you pretty good.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Or maybe re-locate them an inch or so out. I have been looking at doing that.
They can be bent out with a come along and a tree.

Personally I like them. 6'4 280lbs 58" chest and no restriction problems but I've been on my side a time or two and they are life savers. Or at least shoulder/arm savers which helps keep your head in as well. Our heads are pretty soft. I would only remove mine if I lowered the seat platform so the door acted as a bolster.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I took the plastic covers off, cut back the support tubes that ate inside by about 4”, re-rivetted the bolster covers back on. Way more comfortable. 2020 x2. I’m 5’11” 260 lbs.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Steering wheel

Automotive tire Hood Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant Wheel

Reactions: WNC1000

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha RMAX4 1000 LE - 7/22/22
68 Posts
I've only had my RMAX for a week & before driving it I was certain I was not gonna like them. Took a nice 68 mile ride & to be honest I don't mind them. I found myself putting my arm up on it while driving. That arm got a little extra sun tho !!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am not a smaller guy, and plan on using this ice fishing a bunch in the winter when I will be in about 6 layers of clothes, plus jumping in and out a bunch
Thanks!!
That’s actually the best solution I think. A harness would serve the same purpose of keeping your upper half firmly in your seat and you could leave it off when fishing and the like.
Pretty sure dealing with a harness is not going to make the OP happy. Even if your not wearing it kinda still hanging in the way.

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
975 Posts
It took a while for me to appreciate the bolsters but I've learned to use them during the off camber stuff. I'm 6' 1" and 260lbs. And it's not in my way at all. I had a Rhino previously with full sized quick detach doors. I removed them during deer season because (like you ice fishing) i was in and out often checking trail cameras. I can see that getting annoying. This will be my first deer season with mine so we'll see if it bothers me. For crawling the rough stuff, I like them!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It took a while for me to appreciate the bolsters but I've learned to use them during the off camber stuff. I'm 6' 1" and 260lbs. And it's not in my way at all. I had a Rhino previously with full sized quick detach doors. I removed them during deer season because (like you ice fishing) i was in and out often checking trail cameras. I can see that getting annoying. This will be my first deer season with mine so we'll see if it bothers me. For crawling the rough stuff, I like them!
It would be awesome if you could just take them off and put them back on. I get it for hard core riding and high speed stuff, but around the yard and on the ice it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Then looking at all the competiors, and while some of them have higher doors, they don't have shoulder bolsters.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think someone on here did make them removable. Cut them off near the back. Weld a bigger OD pipe on one of the ends you cut off. Drill through it and put a pin in it. Do that for both the top and bottom bars.
I remember that. I think they sleeved them to slide in/out and held in place with clevis type pins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I removed driver side (plastic and bracket) completely. Tried leaving on for the first couple of months and just couldn't get used to it. Debated a lot about taking a Sawzall to my new machine, but absolutely no regrets. I'm 6'0 250 with broad(ish) shoulders. I feel I have more control actually.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I am also hopeful that the full doors will eventually become available. If they do then the need for the bolster pretty much disapears completely.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts