Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ball joints are crooked and I was wondering if they come like this, or if I stressed mine. Ill pull apart the other side and check, but this is the easier way, if anyone else knows first. Thanks
Automotive tire Wood Gas Machine Auto part

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thinking they must be made like that. Can you even bend a offset like that and it be straight still like it looks like it is.

I have never seen such a offset ball joint but sorry I am no help telling you if the RMAX is that way.

I did just pull up the explosions and they appear to be that way. Can't you just compare to the other side.

That can't be right. They don't index in the hole so how would you get it in correctly unless it ws keyed or something.

All ball joints I know are dead straight up the middle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Figured maybe by morning some1 can save me the hassle if they have had their ball joints out already.

·
Registered
on order Rmax 1000-4 due Feb 22. TRX420FA6 honda
26 Posts
I am a mechanic 35 years and never seen an off set ball joint. I think its an optical illusion- I think if you pull the threaded end to the left in the picture it will then look perpendicular and the boot will sit even all around.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm going with bent. I did the exact same bend on my Gen 1 tie rod end.

Reactions: jimw

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I've replaced all 4 of mine with the Super ATV ones when new (Super ATV had a deal I couldn't pass up). I kept the OEMs ones and will look at them but there was nothing offset about them. You either bent it somehow or its an illusion. Either way it looks like the boot is torn and I'd get a new one. Good news is they are pretty easy to change out and you can rent/borrow an automotive ball joint press at your local parts store. The sleeves in the ones you rent are little awkward as they are not designed for SXSs but it'll work for you.

If you have trouble getting a new one because of parts shortages, PM me and I'll see if I can help you out.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,154 Posts
I am with something is visually off. Why would Yamaha go to the design hassle of having a ball joint made like that and not the linkage longer. The ball has to move in all direction to do its job. I doubt it can as the image shows. I am sure also ball joints are pretty generic with so many around. Just pic one used on some other application to fit their arm and done as the end goes straight down on every other machine type. Also if it were turned within to the other side the linkage wouldn't work as it would be so far off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took off the boot, its definitely not an optical illusion, and the boot is still good, its that crooked. Ill post a picture without the boot on when I get a chance. Lower a arm was egged out too unfortunately.

Thanks therebel19, ill talk to a dealer this morning and see what they can get here first. And maybe check superatv availability as well.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,154 Posts
Almost Unbelievable. Will have to see the photo. I can figure how it would work off center. The ball upper housing goes in at any position, no keyway to force the offset like that at that side. Hmmm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hit a tree at 35 mph, it messed up a lot of other stuff too haha. Just trying to figure out what I can keep. The method rim is bent, took most of the force, but i can attest to the weller racing tie rod, it is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,154 Posts
Trees ALWAYS WIN, leave em alone avoiding them. LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If that were a trade, this would not have been a this or that situation, and i was still able to drive out this way

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
When I broke my ball joint I was able to tie the a-arms together and ride the rest of the weekend taking it easy. Mule tape is the best. I destroyed the CV boot but at least I could still ride. When I broke my tie rod, I was SOL. Now if I had parts with me (and I do carry a spare tierod and ball joint now). The tie rod would have been a 15 minute fix. The ball joint would have been a little harder as I don't carry a press with me. However, my riding place is about 2 1/2 hours from home but a Yamaha dealer and a few other shops are within about 30 mins. I carry the ball joint in case I need to visit one of those shops and have them press it in for me or rent the tool and do it myself. The weekend I broke mine was hot so I just used it to take the gravel road down to the river an back and sat on the beach and drank (wouldn't have been driving to town to get parts or work on anything anyways).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Upper a arm and ball joints are available my dealer told me, but the lower arm is not until November est. (probably bend and weld on it), and ball joints are availible. Bushishings are backorder until February.
A frame is not available for the foreseeable future unfortunately. (Bend and weld on this too) or just drive with a slight tweak.
Dealer told me the lower ball joints are the same as the uppers. Hope he is correct.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Do you know where the tree is you hit ?

If you can find that same tree again, just hit it the same way but in reverse.

Damn tree's. Have hit my share on motorcycles.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Offset ball joints are common in the Jeep world. We have used them before on Jeeps with large lifts and super huge tires. Just looked at my RMAX, and it doesn't appear to have offset ball joints.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts