Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring when covid hit I decided that offroad was going to be our safest form of recreation, so I bought a 1956 surplus jeep trailer and began to build an offroad expedition trailer to pull behind our fj cruiser. It worked great for an extended Colorado trip, but then my wife complained that we had no way to take wolfie and the expedition 20200430_163820.jpg 20200514_124255.jpg 20200514_124255.jpg 20201108_132847.jpg trailer. So after a bit of thought I began work on the new expedition trailer so we can include the wolverine .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's outstanding. How big is the trailer.

What about a small trailer with the RTT on it and use the wolvie to pull it. Is the jeep trailer too heavy.
The small trailer is a 4 by 6 ft surplus military M100 trailer. Stripped and painted it, put new wheels, tires, shocks and bearings and cut out the back of the tub and fitted a tailgate. I built a lid for the top, hinged on one side and then added an 18 inch rack for the rooftop tent and also added brackets for an 8 ft awning. I incorporated a gas/water can rack both front and rear of the rtt rack so I could load them either place and thereby adjust the tongue weight. Packed for a trip the total weight is a bit less than a thousand pounds and the height is a bit lower than my fj cruiser, so as not to catch any wind. Pulls beautifully ( up to about 85 mph, anyway ). 14 inches of ground clearance. Pulled it 1600 miles to colorado then offroad for a 3 week trip last june and it performed great. Just couldn,t take wolfie.
The large one is a 14 ft by 63 inch wide aluma trailer that I built a 3 1/2 foot rack for the rtt across the front, removable with 4 bolts. and that left 10 1/2 ft in the rear for wolfie with enough room to go back and forth to adjust tongue weight. With all loaded it is about 2600 pounds and towers over the fj about 2 feet, catching lots of wind. Halves the gas milage, but wolfie can go. Pulled it to New Hampshire in Oct. and was pleased.
I am sure wolfie could pull the small trailer on easy and some moderate trails, not sure it would work well on rough ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I’ve been rabbit-holing a camping trailer small enough to get pulled by my wolverine. Gonna start with a traffic sign trailer (the ones you see set up on road sides flashing notices, etc). It’s essentially just a square frame to build on, using some slightly worn 30s that came off last year, then planing on building it up from there. The idea was that we could trailer everything to a camp spot, then off-road it from there is no worry about getting our cars/trucks stuck.

Reactions: Maggot
1 - 4 of 4 Posts