Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by today and talked to a local dealer about doing my first service, Yamaha says the valves need to be adjusted on first service, they quoted me a price of 500.00, I told him he was crazy, I don't mind doing oil change and diff change myself but I'm not messing with no valves, anyway I was just wondering what you guys was paying,
they said Yamaha had it listed at 3.8hrs to adjust valves

·
June WOTM Winner!
98 Posts
I did it at a dealer here in Denver for I think three or three and a half BUT,,, did not have all that great of luck. They were to check everything and meant the valve gap. Well it was had starting and they said the battery was low and they had to charge it to start it, come to find out the battery was bad but the hard start was because the decompression spring was gone and that was why it was hard to start. Now if they had checked the gap they would have seen the spring was gone and fixed it don't you think? Before I installed some mods I ordered the spring just in case and checked it and sure enough it was gone, I replaced it myself. So it may be worth it but you need to know they really did all that was needed and then will they put it back together right? To check the valve the bed has to come off that why it is 3.8 hrs

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a way for them to make money I will check my valves at 200 hours. We have ranchers around her that have 1000 hours on their Vikings and they will not have their valves checked. We have to do it when they finally trade them back in. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Dealer told me checking the valves, if they are within spec., is not difficult and not time consuming. Where the time/labor gets expensive is if they have to be adjusted and if all 4 valves have to be adjusted and disassembling to replace with the correct thickness valve pad . My bet would be the high prices quoted for valve checks is based on having to adjust all the valves which probably would never be the case, but the Dealer is just CYA in case they did have to all be adjusted or make you think he adjusted all of them.

Quotes for valves services should really be based on just checking to see if they are within spec. and then base price on how many have to be adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I have never had a dealer do the service, I just don't trust them, not too mention I am not made of money LOL.

Papa nailed it with his response regarding the pricing I think. As for me, this is the first machine I have owned that I have not checked/adjusted the valves at the recommended interval. Considering it is a DOHC, and I have read and heard from many that they have not needed adjustments as early as yamaha recommends, I am taking a bit of a calculated risk and not going to check them until the end of this riding season.

As far as you being comfortable doing the valves...check out this thread.

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/129-how/5369-valve-adjustment.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not familiar with these motors, but the DOCH dirt bike motors (both the 5 valve Genesis) and the current 4 valve models are reliable as anvils and rarely need valve adjustment. And even if it does replacing shims under the bucket isn't a huge deal. I've been doing it on these new hi-po 4 strokes for a dozen years now.

I'll take some pics and do a small write up when I do my first check. Does anyone know what size shim in there? 8.9mm or 10mm seem to be the popular dirt bike sizes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
found a local small dealer and his tech is a Yamaha tech (he claims) he said he would do it all and get me out the door for under 200.00
I told him I wanted to see pictures of the valves;), cant trust no one these days

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had 6000 hours on my 08 rhino. And never once checked the valves. And it always ran like the day I bought it. And I'm not going to worry about it on the wolvie.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.