Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Wolvyman went with a 1" spacer. I don't know if I really care about 3/4 of an inch on each side to make the back wheels match the front. My son uses spacers on his rzr and said every time he rides he hope one doesn't let loose. Do you really think it's necessary?
It’s not necessary!
I guess I was confused, I thought he did 1.5. Less is better.
I used 1” on my Gen 1 to get square.
Bolted them on once and ran it like that for 5500 miles and never checked them. They never loosened. I use 2.5” spacers just for Moab and Sand Hollow and I do worry about them coming loose but so far so good.

Reactions: RmaxUt074

·
Registered
Wolverine RMAX 4 XTR 1000
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It’s not necessary!
I guess I was confused, I thought he did 1.5. Less is better.
I used 1” on my Gen 1 to get square.
Bolted them on once and ran it like that for 5500 miles and never checked them. They never loosened. I use 2.5” spacers just for Moab and Sand Hollow and I do worry about them coming loose but so far so good.
Is there a brand of spacer you use. Do you have a link?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Wolvyman went with a 1" spacer. I don't know if I really care about 3/4 of an inch on each side to make the back wheels match the front. My son uses spacers on his rzr and said every time he rides he hope one doesn't let loose. Do you really think it's necessary?
I believe it is because the wheel will hit the brake caliper without it. I have 1.5" spacers on my back, couldn't find 1" at the time. I am wider in the back, but I don't mind it. I checked my spacers three times within the first 150 miles and they were as tight as when I installed them. I did not use loc tight.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Is there a brand of spacer you use. Do you have a link?
I don’t have a link, it’s been awhile but I’m using Quadboss spacers. I think they make them in 1”.
You may have to search 4x156 spacers. If you search Rmax, some don’t come up. If you find them for KRX then they will be correct. They need to have a 12mm stud and 1.25 thread pitch. Polaris stuff will have a 1.5 thread pitch so don’t get misled.

Found some!

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I believe it is because the wheel will hit the brake caliper without it. I have 1.5" spacers on my back, couldn't find 1" at the time. I am wider in the back, but I don't mind it. I checked my spacers three times within the first 150 miles and they were as tight as when I installed them. I did not use loc tight.
Yes, maybe it is necessary? It hasn’t been on other models however.
Better read through Wolvymans build thread.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Yes, maybe it is necessary? It hasn’t been on other models however.
Better read through Wolvymans build thread.
So while I have you here, I am really looking into 32" tires for next year. You mentioned the rub. How bad is it? Also are you still running 30's for non rock crawling?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
So while I have you here, I am really looking into 32" tires for next year. You mentioned the rub. How bad is it? Also are you still running 30's for non rock crawling?
Since I don’t have a 4 seat I can only speak to what I’ve read. It sounds mild and only upon full compression.
Ive mostly been running my stock carnivores just to save my good tires and wear the stockers out. I’ve been on the fence with what I’ll do when they are wore out. I like to keep an open tread style on hand for the winter spring stuff.
Now that I’ve played with the clutch and improved the sheave ratio I won’t likely ever have a 30” tire on it again.
For the kind of riding we do it just makes sense to go 32 as long as the machine is turning them without struggling. It works even without clutch changes but if it turns 32s easier now than the stock size before then why have less clearance. It also rides better over small rocks and gets up over big obstacles easier.
I’ll finish the life of the stock tires this winter and spring.
Hopefully SATV will come through for you soon anyways.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmm everyone running 5 +2 on the facebook group with the 4 seaters 14x 7 rims none are running spacers to clear the calipers

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Since I don’t have a 4 seat I can only speak to what I’ve read. It sounds mild and only upon full compression.
Ive mostly been running my stock carnivores just to save my good tires and wear the stockers out. I’ve been on the fence with what I’ll do when they are wore out. I like to keep an open tread style on hand for the winter spring stuff.
Now that I’ve played with the clutch and improved the sheave ratio I won’t likely ever have a 30” tire on it again.
For the kind of riding we do it just makes sense to go 32 as long as the machine is turning them without struggling. It works even without clutch changes but if it turns 32s easier now than the stock size before then why have less clearance. It also rides better over small rocks and gets up over big obstacles easier.
I’ll finish the life of the stock tires this winter and spring.
Hopefully SATV will come through for you soon anyways.
Hmm everyone running 5 +2 on the facebook group with the 4 seaters 14x 7 rims none are running spacers to clear the calipers
To be honest I went with Wolvymanx4 recommendations and given his expertise I had no reservations following them. Spin the wheel, life's like a box of chocolates... Facebook, no thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I‘m running 1” spacers on the rear and it measured 1” narrower than the front. I really do notice the 1/2” difference when looking from the back.
I ran without spacers for a few months and to be honest they’re not needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To be honest I went with Wolvymanx4 recommendations and given his expertise I had no reservations following them. Spin the wheel, life's like a box of chocolates... Facebook, no thanks.
eh videos that are on facebook and youtube are just as good as a forum post. The wheels yamaha sells that says direct fit for the 4 seater is a 14x7 5+2 I would think they wouldn't have direct fit in the description if they wouldnt clear the calipers, hopefully

·
Registered
Wolverine RMAX 4 XTR 1000
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I talked to wolvyman yesterday. He confirmed the setup I chose to go with will work great. He insisted that I should go with the 1" spacer on the back for stability at high speed corning he said it makes a world of difference in the body roll so I will probably do it. The only bad thing is it will take me out to 68" in the back. Which will restrict me on 66"inch trails. I debated three tire's. BFG KM3, maxxis carnivore and tusk terabites. I then saw some reviews on the maxxis rampage. I think I'm going with them in the terrain I'm mostly in they should work perfect and they are suppose to wear better.

MAXXIS Rampage (ML5) Tire 30x10R14 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SY9F6N/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_ARASYWATD32NS5KKQ94M

STI HD9 Beadlock Wheel (Front/Rear / 14X7 4/156 5+2) (Bronze) Compatible with 01-13 Polaris SPORTS500H https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074V9Z6N9/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_RRJXMDNGBJ3J88YRDBH8

Quadboss Wheel Spacer 4/156 1" M12X1.25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071K9JX57/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_CV8BH8VKEQ2FM4YM8BN1

Last finishing touch is lug nuts. Will the factory lug nuts work with those rims or do I need new one. What will work? I know some of you are running the sti wheel what did you buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's a good looking tire. Thanks for the link. Have you used them and can you provide any feedback?
Not yet, I'm waiting for my stock Carnivores to wear down, then I'm going with the 32x10x14s. I know folks that have them, and they swear by em, and the tread life is off the charts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am just looking at tire and wheels to go to a square setup probably over the winter.

Wheels I want something with a bronze accent to match my XTR.
These are wheels that I have found in the right size and offset but not a done deal in any means.

I am also looking to run a tire that is a little on the aggressive side that has been getting good reviews and this is on the top of the list on allot of sites.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Carnivore-Radial-Tires-30x10-14/dp/B01KKOYVKA
Is anyone running this tire on a RMAX4

Anyone go with a bronze accent wheel that they like on there RMAX4 XTR?

Thanks.
Here yah go. Method Race Wheels 405 Beadlock Wheel | ChapMoto.com

21 - 36 of 36 Posts