Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Wolverine RMAX 4 XTR 1000
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am just looking at tire and wheels to go to a square setup probably over the winter.

Wheels I want something with a bronze accent to match my XTR.
These are wheels that I have found in the right size and offset but not a done deal in any means.

I am also looking to run a tire that is a little on the aggressive side that has been getting good reviews and this is on the top of the list on allot of sites.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Carnivore-Radial-Tires-30x10-14/dp/B01KKOYVKA
Is anyone running this tire on a RMAX4

Anyone go with a bronze accent wheel that they like on there RMAX4 XTR?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I think the sidewalls are a little weak on the Carnivores. I tore the sidewall on mine within the first week of owning my Rmax4. I took Wolvymanx4`s advice and went with the Maxxis Liberty's with a square setup and have been really happy.
The Carnivore is more aggressive, but the Liberty's are true to size.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the sidewalls are a little weak on the Carnivores. I tore the sidewall on mine within the first week of owning my Rmax4. I took Wolvymanx4`s advice and went with the Maxxis Liberty's with a square setup and have been really happy.
The Carnivore is more aggressive, but the Liberty's are true to size.
I can get a better price on the BFG KM3 locally and it looks like the tread pattern is very similar to the Liberty.

The reason I wanted to go with the carnivore is the aggressive tread but if you were unhappy with them maybe I will go with the KM3.

I defiantly don't want to deal with weak sidewalls

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I can get a better price on the BFG KM3 locally and it looks like the tread pattern is very similar to the Liberty.

The reason I wanted to go with the carnivore is the aggressive tread but if you were unhappy with them maybe I will go with the KM3.

I do have to say that my riding partner is riding Carnivores and has not had issue. I have heard from others that the sidewalls are week. The Maxxis brand are made by the Chinese company Kenda. I am trying to avoid purchasing Chinese goods when I can. Let us know what you end up with and your opinion. I'm thinking of going up to 32" for my next set. One thing is the Liberty's are wearing better than the Carnivores and Bighorns. It will be a bit before i need to replace them.

·
Registered
51 Posts

been running system 3 xtr 370 about same as the carnivories but seem to hold up better and sidewalls are more puncture proof

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have to say that my riding partner is riding Carnivores and has not had issue. I have heard from others that the sidewalls are week. The Maxxis brand are made by the Chinese company Kenda. I am trying to avoid purchasing Chinese goods when I can. Let us know what you end up with and your opinion. I'm thinking of going up to 32" for my next set. One thing is the Liberty's are wearing better than the Carnivores and Bighorns. It will be a bit before i need to replace them.
Have you driven in muddy mountain train? If so how did they do? Last thing I want is my tires packing up on a road I don't want to go over the side. I'm torn on a wide open tread that will clean out well or a tighter tread that will wear longer. These carnage tires are great in any terrain I have rode in but they are getting tore up fast and more than halfway worn out in 800 miles.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Have you driven in muddy mountain train? If so how did they do? Last thing I want is my tires packing up on a road I don't want to go over the side. I'm torn on a wide open tread that will clean out well or a tighter tread that will wear longer. These carnage tires are great in any terrain I have rode in but they are getting tore up fast and more than halfway worn out in 800 miles.
View attachment 98045
View attachment 98045
We don't see much mud. Obviously there are some smaller spots here and there but I see more rocky and sandy conditions. Any mud I encounter I have had no issues. John my riding partner claims his carnivores are more grabby than mine. From reviewing my videos I think his shorter wheel base is a bigger factor. Granted the open tread and softer composition must help. I have about 1000 miles on the Liberty's and they could go another 10000.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I like the tread on the system 3 xtr. They are $50 less than the carnivores. I hope they hold up better.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Watching this thread as I too am interested in a 30" square setup. I have to admit I have had no issues with the stock maxxis tires and Kenda used to be decent tires.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
551 Posts
Maxxis are made in Taiwan and were formally known as Cheng Shin.

Not that it matters...;)

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
364 Posts
been running system 3 xtr 370 about same as the carnivories but seem to hold up better and sidewalls are more puncture proof
System 3 xtr370 is the tire I'm going to run once I purchase new beadlocks.

Reactions: Budro2 and kidamer

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I think the KM3 will be better In mud/snow than the Liberty. Both great tires.
If you want an aggressive quality tire on the same page as a Carnivore but with a durable sidewall then look at the System 3 370 tire. It’s an awesome tire that will do mud now and crawl rocks too.
Down side of the 370 is they are heavy. Upside of the Carnivore is they are very light.

I think the STI HD9 in bronze looks great on the XTR myself.

Reactions: Hahny and RmaxUt074

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
ha just go 32's so your not that new girl who just got her C cups and 2 months later really wishes she got those nice full d's
Most 32s will mildly rub on the rear of the four seater. It works but it’s something that has to be accepted.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ha just go 32's so your not that new girl who just got her C cups and 2 months later really wishes she got those nice full d's
I'm waiting to see if Superatv comes out with offset rear arms so I don't rub. I still have tread to last me for awhile on the stockers but I get what you saying.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think the KM3 will be better In mud/snow than the Liberty. Both great tires.
If you want an aggressive quality tire on the same page as a Carnivore but with a durable sidewall then look at the System 3 370 tire. It’s an awesome tire that will do mud now and crawl rocks too.
Down side of the 370 is they are heavy. Upside of the Carnivore is they are very light.

I think the STI HD9 in bronze looks great on the XTR myself.
14x74/1565+2 (+30mm)Bronze14HB933

This is the one I want for the 4 seater right? I like them they do look great!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
14x74/1565+2 (+30mm)Bronze14HB933

This is the one I want for the 4 seater right?
Yep and you’ll need 1.5” spacers for the rear if you want it to be square.

Reactions: RmaxUt074

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep and you’ll need 1.5” spacers for the rear if you want it to be square.
Wolvyman went with a 1" spacer. I don't know if I really care about 3/4 of an inch on each side to make the back wheels match the front. My son uses spacers on his rzr and said every time he rides he hope one doesn't let loose. Do you really think it's necessary?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts