Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas to replace the stock shifter handle. Hurst T handle or something like that could be nice but not sure if it would hit the e-brake lever.

do they screw on or is there a special method to secure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a push pin in the right side of the shift knob and it pulls off with a bit a twisting force, the shifter rod is not threaded,
20200906_113229.jpg
20200906_113529.jpg

A thing to consider is a if you make the handle larger you might have to remove the knob whenever you lift the console to pass it through the hole.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That’s a great point.

I sure would like some sort of billet handle ”that can still pass through the ctr counsel hole”. or something like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Haven’t done it yet, but here’s how... the shaft is going to have to be cut, about 2” above the console. Then use an adapter (found on amazon) with set screws and a sleeve. The shaft is 10mm, the adapter is 14mm. Most aftermarket shift handles use 10x1.5 (same as 3/8x16). It will be removable, so you can still take the console off when you need to. Here’s the adapter you need... FYI, it’s the same thread pattern as a beer tap handle, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Update... just ordered the adapter and an old school hurst 4 speed shift ball. I’ll post the pics when I put it on.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats perfect! I may have to give that a shot! Looking forward to some pics

·
Registered
105 Posts
Waiting for some pics!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's the post I made for the installation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The adapter showed up today and Hurst T handle will be here early next week!

Guessing this should add a solid 10 - 15 HP ;)

Reactions: Maynard

·
Registered
25 Posts
The adapter showed up today and Hurst T handle will be here early next week!

Guessing this should add a solid 10 - 15 HP ;)
And 2 forward gears!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rough install... In this picture, I have not trimmed the shift shaft at all as of yet. Just removed the Yamaha shifter and clamped on the adapter. I do plan to cut the shaft down a few inches to get it looking a little better.

Reactions: BubbaJo and Budro2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rough install... In this picture, I have not trimmed the shift shaft at all as of yet. Just removed the Yamaha shifter and clamped on the adapter. I do plan to cut the shaft down a few inches to get it looking a little better.

View attachment 89471
Hell yeah, looks good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts