Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Needed to get the Yamaha brackets, the lights are awesome.
purchased them from ebay, I found a super deal 300.00 for the 4 factory Yamaha pod lights, new in box, plus the -2- brackets.
kenner

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just put a cheap 36" single row on. Its a BackRoads LED from RKO, Box says its 10800 lumens, and i believe it's thats pretty accurate. Very bright ( not like Rigid bright ) and has a decent pattern. $99 plus wire harness.

View attachment 89774
Did you have to buy an aftermarket bracket? Which one if so? I got the nilight 36 to install, but the slope of the roof isnt going to work with the packaged brackets.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I have some light bar blues. I had the dealership I bought my R-Max from install a Yamaha light bar. At first, it worked the first time you turned the light bar on, every time. Then, if you had to turn it off if you met traffic and then turn it back on, it wouldn't come back on. I would have to turn it off again and then turn it back on in order for it to work. After it would come on, it would stay on solid-no flickering, nothing, worked perfect-it was just getting it to come on. So, at first I was thinking it was a switch issue. So, I brought it back to the dealer and they tested another light bar, same thing, maybe six to eight out of ten it would work, the other times it wouldn't come on. They tried another switch and had the same result. I now pulled the wire wad they had zip-tied under the dash in back out and tested the voltage-12.51V. I ran a separate power wire with an in-line fuse directly to the battery-same result-battery gave 12.51V also. Now, I'm thinking it's the wire that was wadded up that goes from the switch to the light bar-I doubt it can be anything else, even if it is just a plug on either end. I can't test the voltage up by the light bar under load without stripping the wires back which I can't do without killing my warranty. I cut the zip-tie wadding the wires up(no, I didn't knick any wires) and straightened them out-since I did that I can not get it to work at all except for a couple lights flickering in the middle after a couple of minutes. That is the weird part-I turn it on now and go and sit down and watch it-at first, absolutely nothing, after about 30 seconds, the middle two lights start to flicker, and after about two or three minutes, they are at full fricker and that is all it does(and just those two middle lights, nothing else). I attached the picture of the zip-tied wad before I cut the zip-tie, the power wire with fuse, and the video of the current condition of the light bar after the two or three minutes.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Fuel line Auto part Wire Electrical wiring Engine Fuel line

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did you have to buy an aftermarket bracket? Which one if so? I got the nilight 36 to install, but the slope of the roof isnt going to work with the packaged brackets.
I used the brackets that came with the light. Why won't the supplied brackets work? They should be able to adjust for the forward slope of the roof. Can you post a pic of the bracket?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have some light bar blues. I had the dealership I bought my R-Max from install a Yamaha light bar. At first, it worked the first time you turned the light bar on, every time. Then, if you had to turn it off if you met traffic and then turn it back on, it wouldn't come back on. I would have to turn it off again and then turn it back on in order for it to work. After it would come on, it would stay on solid-no flickering, nothing, worked perfect-it was just getting it to come on. So, at first I was thinking it was a switch issue. So, I brought it back to the dealer and they tested another light bar, same thing, maybe six to eight out of ten it would work, the other times it wouldn't come on. They tried another switch and had the same result. I now pulled the wire wad they had zip-tied under the dash in back out and tested the voltage-12.51V. I ran a separate power wire with an in-line fuse directly to the battery-same result-battery gave 12.51V also. Now, I'm thinking it's the wire that was wadded up that goes from the switch to the light bar-I doubt it can be anything else, even if it is just a plug on either end. I can't test the voltage up by the light bar under load without stripping the wires back which I can't do without killing my warranty. I cut the zip-tie wadding the wires up(no, I didn't knick any wires) and straightened them out-since I did that I can not get it to work at all except for a couple lights flickering in the middle after a couple of minutes. That is the weird part-I turn it on now and go and sit down and watch it-at first, absolutely nothing, after about 30 seconds, the middle two lights start to flicker, and after about two or three minutes, they are at full fricker and that is all it does(and just those two middle lights, nothing else). I attached the picture of the zip-tied wad before I cut the zip-tie, the power wire with fuse, and the video of the current condition of the light bar after the two or three minutes.
View attachment 89873 View attachment 89874
Yep,,, there has to be a broken wire in that mess somewhere. You can't test the wire now even tho your dealership knows of the issue?? The dealership I buy from calls me and asks ME what to do on certain models (ones that I have owned). They welcome the help.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,540 Posts
Yes, replace the harness and relay, there is an intermittent wire break or bad connection somewhere, if new lights do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
If the harness and relay check out, try running a second ground. I had issues with a light bar once and the ground to the chassis just wouldn't work for me so I had to run another ground straight to the battery.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Yeah, they have the only ground running straight to the battery already................

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Yep,,, there has to be a broken wire in that mess somewhere. You can't test the wire now even tho your dealership knows of the issue?? The dealership I buy from calls me and asks ME what to do on certain models (ones that I have owned). They welcome the help.
I just picked it back up yesterday-they said that the problem is noted with Yamaha, so if I have more issues, they will stand behind it even after the warranty expires. I guess I won't have to worry about that as I will be bringing it back sooner now. I will be telling them to replace all the wiring-they can test that before they route it into the machine though. My dealer I guess does the minimum required to address issues. Hell, I just had my winch cable switched out to synthetic rope and I told them I wanted the brand new cable that they took out-when I went to pick it up yesterday, they couldn't find it so they gave me a different used one they had-I'll be following up on that too and getting my new one back instead-my buddy wants it for his winch as he never took care of his cable on his ATV.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
If I knew how to get at the back of the switches, I would try testing the light straight from the switch................

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I used the brackets that came with the light. Why won't the supplied brackets work? They should be able to adjust for the forward slope of the roof. Can you post a pic of the bracket?
Unfortunately the extreme angle of the roof doesnt work with the brackets provided which have limited angle adjustment angle. I am thinking of some kind of hard rubber wedge between the roof and the bracket base to account for it.
Auto part Clamp Tool C-clamp

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
1,145 Posts
Having a hard time visualizing what the problem is. That said, if you need to make a wedge, hockey pucks make an awesome material for such a thing.

Post up some pics when you get it sorted out.

Unfortunately the extreme angle of the roof doesnt work with the brackets provided which have limited angle adjustment angle. I am thinking of some kind of hard rubber wedge between the roof and the bracket base to account for it.
View attachment 89882

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Having a hard time visualizing what the problem is. That said, if you need to make a wedge, hockey pucks make an awesome material for such a thing.

Post up some pics when you get it sorted out.
Basically if you mount the bracket to the roof, it is angled so far down, that the fixed attachment position on the lightbar track does not allow you to angle it up high enough.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
1,145 Posts
Gotcha... only negative to shimming I suppose is raising the light bar higher off the roof, and more susceptible to getting hit.

Thanks for sharing, as I'll avoid that type of mount option when it comes time to get a lightbar.

Basically if you mount the bracket to the roof, it is angled so far down, that the fixed attachment position on the lightbar track does not allow you to angle it up high enough.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of the factory Yamaha pod lights -4- installed. kenner
Looks like putting 2 on each bracket might limit access to the winch selector. Can you still get to it to engage/disenage the winch?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
218 Posts
Needed to get the Yamaha brackets, the lights are awesome.
purchased them from ebay, I found a super deal 300.00 for the 4 factory Yamaha pod lights, new in box, plus the -2- brackets.
kenner
I did a search for a ppackage deal like this but didn’t find one. Do you have a link to that eBay seller?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did a search for a ppackage deal like this but didn’t find one. Do you have a link to that eBay seller?
The 2 factory Yamaha brackets were extra money, they were not included in the ebay deal.
I purchased all 4 factory Yamaha pod lights for 300.00, I do not think you will find a better deal on these lights, at the time the person had 3 sets of these and I bought 2 sets.
kenner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts