Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last couple times out, the stock seatbelt has rubbed the side of my neck raw, and got me thinking about some 4 point harnesses. Has anyone installed anything like this yet? I did some checking online and found a few kits that appear to universal since it didn't have you make a vehicle selection before being able to order. If nobody has put these on a Wolvie yet, has anyone tried what appears to be these universal kits on anything else?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Has anyone installed any 4 or 5 point harnesses yet?

·
Registered
395 Posts
My theory is use a harness if you have a tendency to roll (rock climbing, steep hills). If not, I usually leave the regular belt in there. If you are going 50 and hit a tree, a 4/5 point harness will hold your body back 100% but not your head/neck. If you have a regular belt, you will still get hurt but some of your momentum will transfer to the center of the machine and it will still keep you from flying out of the machine.

This is not based on any real world tests, just my logic or lack there of. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just bought one of those seat belt pads. Yep first time ride the upper seat beat area gave me some pain.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I put them in mine I really like then it holds you in place takes away all the rockin and rollin 20150916_132208.jpg

Reactions: Masteryota

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
All_Out, what hardware/brackets did you use and do you have any close up pictures of the mounting tabs?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
385 Posts
First I left factory seal bets as they were on both sides.
Where the new harnesses attach to the door sides if you remove the trim there is two holes in front of the original seat belts and that's where I attached them. Driver side and passengers side in center consol I fastened then to the same attachment point of the original, now that was not fun. on passenger side I had to use a longer bolt and nut and put bolt just the opposite as it is now. Got belts from rocky Mountain they come with attachment points on them, but do buy the belt keepers for behind the head rest they are the berries and usually pop up when you search for the harness. The only thing you'll need in the hardware is 2 -1/2 in bolts 1 inch long with nuts and washers and 1- 12mm by1.25pitch by 1 1/4long bolt for passenger ,center consol attachment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First I left factory seal bets as they were on both sides.
Where the new harnesses attach to the door sides if you remove the trim there is two holes in front of the original seat belts and that's where I attached them. Driver side and passengers side in center consol I fastened then to the same attachment point of the original, now that was not fun. on passenger side I had to use a longer bolt and nut and put bolt just the opposite as it is now. Got belts from rocky Mountain they come with attachment points on them, but do buy the belt keepers for behind the head rest they are the berries and usually pop up when you search for the harness. The only thing you'll need in the hardware is 2 -1/2 in bolts 1 inch long with nuts and washers and 1- 12mm by1.25pitch by 1 1/4long bolt for passenger ,center consol attachment.
Thanks for the photo and fitting description All out. I'm real interested in doing the same. Could you please describe or show photo of how you secured the harnesses behind the seats? Is it just wrapping the webbing around the bars or did you attach a bracket? Are the 'belt keepers' an addition to the harness?

·
Registered
385 Posts
They just wrap around bar behind seats, but that harness holder I mentioned is important ,it keeps harness from moving behind seat. I'll get you part # from rocky mt. Belts dragonfire are #1396590001 belt retainer is pro armor 1497170001all at rocky mt.

Reactions: MrDwig

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They just wrap around bar behind seats, but that harness holder I mentioned is important ,it keeps harness from moving behind seat. I'll get you part # from rocky mt. Belts dragonfire are #1396590001 belt retainer is pro armor 1497170001all at rocky mt.
Those are the same belts I was looking at and found the pro armor retainers earlier once you mentioned them. The belts are sold one individually not pairs right?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sold as singles but keeper is for both sides.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You wrote: “I had to use a longer bolt and nut and put bolt just the opposite as it is now. Got belts from rocky Mountain they come with attachment points on them, but do buy the belt keepers for behind the head rest they are the berries and usually pop up when you search for the harness. The only thing you'll need in the hardware is 2 -1/2 in bolts 1 inch long with nuts and washers and 1- 12mm by1.25pitch by 1 1/4long bolt for passenger ,center consol attachment.”

I’m confused by the point about using longer bolts on the passenger side and putting the bolt on the opposite side from where it is now. If you ran the bolt in from the opposite side of the stock bracket it would appear that the only thing securing the belt to the bracket would be four spot welds that attach the nut to that bracket. I’m going to try to attach a photo showing how the belt goes onto the stock bracket normally (you can see from this photo is is not a good fit). This shows the black Tusk harness and stock Yamaha (silver) bracket which I removed from the passenger side to access the bolt. An engineer friend told me not to try using longer bolts and filling the 3/8 to 1/2” space with washers. A8DFEFE5-D293-4656-B4DB-682E4217E312.jpeg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Get a longer bolt and, looking at your pic, put it through from left to right. Then put a nut, belt and another nut. Plenty strong and safe.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good idea. I might also try moving the belt fitting over to the left side of the bracket, and locate it between the new bolt head and existing factory nut. Then use another nut on the right side. I’ll have to see if it clears the seat. I’ll report results.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moving the fitting to the inside of the bracket didn’t work, though I could probably have turned the bracket upside down and it would have fit that way. But would have been perhaps five inches lower on that side, which might have resulted in a belt latch not being centered. I tried running the bolt (found grade 8 bolts and nuts but not flange head bolts like the original) from both the outside and the inside directions. I’m attaching photos of both here. (Note that they haven’t yet been tightened down). Using nuts as spacers instead of washers seems to support the bolt better and I think makes it stronger. I even used an extra nut and lock washer to back up the nut Yamaha spot welded to the bracket, as Relhok suggested. I’ve asked Rocky Mountain ATV to approve one or the other attach method. Stay tuned. F5FBD422-5D22-43B8-8025-8D8F121F2D86.jpeg B6389851-2B6E-427B-83A0-E28BF1AA7844.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts