Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a hard starting issue?

I thought my factory battery was bad bought one of the HO 800 CC amp batteries we sell and still does it.

Hit the key and it acts like the decompression mechanism is not working and gets on compression stroke and won't turn, let off then try again might turn over slowly

Then other times, hit the key it starts right up

Seems better when the battery is fully charged

I watch the voltage, with key on says over 12 like 12.4, hit the key it drops to mid 11

I should know this but can't put my finger on it since it does not happen every time, intermittent issue

Anyone????

Todd

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't have this problem. Though at a cold start sometimes it will die within seconds on the first starting attempt. Then stay running on the second try.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine has gotten worse . I'm an old gear head .. And it seems the motor is at compression stroke and it sometimes it starts and sometimes it won't. Weak starter maybe???

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine has gotten worse . I'm an old gear head .. And it seems the motor is at compression stroke and it sometimes it starts and sometimes it won't. Weak starter maybe???
Glad I am not the only one, we need a fix. Scares me when I am way out hunting

I am going to give this battery another try today. I simply opened the box and put it in yesterday and it did same thing. I will fully charge it today and see what happens

These batteries are unique and if it is a voltage issue, it should spin the crap out of it. 800 CC amps will start a diesel!!! LOL

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mine hasn't done what is happening in the video, but it did do what Kirk described twice to me this past weekend. On Friday, it stalled in the garage as I was getting ready to load it up, and then again the first time I fired it up Saturday. It was the first time in about a month it had been started though.

Hopefully the dealer can give you some answers DJ and Todd and it isn't a major issue.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
sounds like a starter grounding out,or maybe getting to much fuel,i usually have to try mine twice before it starts up,but turns over good.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed I t never happens when engine is warm. It also never happened in Colorado. Only at cold start
Same here, cold start only. If I leave a trickle charger on it, it does not do it then. Problem I can't put a trickle charger in the woods!!! LOL

Guess I will be taking a jump start pak with me hunting, ugh

·
June WOTM Winner!
98 Posts
Same here, cold start only. If I leave a trickle charger on it, it does not do it then. Problem I can't put a trickle charger in the woods!!! LOL

Guess I will be taking a jump start pak with me hunting, ugh
Todd, Mine also has done it but it was on the Moab trip and it seemed to me like a dead spot in the switch??? I was going to bring it up on the service but,,,

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Todd, Mine also has done it but it was on the Moab trip and it seemed to me like a dead spot in the switch??? I was going to bring it up on the service but,,,
I charged that high power battery this am for a while, started it cold start several times today and it started every time. Slower a couple times but did start. Will continue this and see.

This battery is not conventional, it is called a Bat-Cap I think it has capacitors built in it, transfers the power in milliseconds not slow like a normal battery. Comes out of the car audio industry. Had one in my rhino since 09. Let it sit for 6 months once and tried to start it one day and it fired up, I didn't believe it.

But anyway, will be watching to see if this fixed my issue

·
Banned
420 Posts
I've had mine just shutoff while sitting still idling on a trial. Twice within a minute. Fully warmed up. Hasn't done it since. Just really weird.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm wondering if it's a charging issue. I do a lot of start and stops around farm.
I don't know, mine sits for several days at a time.

Put a trickle charger on yours, the kind you can leave the wire on the batter with a plugged in cord and see if it fixes it.

The charging is fine, I get 14 volts when it starts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine does that if I don't hold the key all the way to the right. Does it have anything to do with you turning they key to the right then immediately turning it back. I always hold my key all the way to the right until it starts.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine does that if I don't hold the key all the way to the right. Does it have anything to do with you turning they key to the right then immediately turning it back. I always hold my key all the way to the right until it starts.
I don't know, just tried mine this am, same old thing, would not turn over then slow.

I think it is in the decompression system.

I need to address it I guess. Just a pain in the butt, I need it working now, it is hunting season

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our Wolverine turned over very slowly during the first 20 hours, to the point I thought it wasn't going to start at times. This happened only when engine was cold. The battery display always showed good voltage.

Now with about 500 miles it starts easily without hesitation. I will watch for starting issues as the temp drops.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know, just tried mine this am, same old thing, would not turn over then slow.

I think it is in the decompression system.

I need to address it I guess. Just a pain in the butt, I need it working now, it is hunting season
The way the lights flash it looks voltage related. Your aftermarket sheave probably smoked the stater :) - Kidding.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts