Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the RMAX 2 out for its first weekend trip. There was a lot of likes and some dislikes about the bike. But for this thread I just want to know if anyone has gone with bigger tires yet on the RMAX. Im down here in east Texas and there are alot of roots and ruts that require ground clearance. Like to see some pics if you have them . I have a wheel and tire combo in mind but I am going to tackle some smaller less expensive projects first

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
1,762 Posts
Took the RMAX 2 out for its first weekend trip. There was a lot of likes and some dislikes about the bike. But for this thread I just want to know if anyone has gone with bigger tires yet on the RMAX. Im down here in east Texas and there are alot of roots and ruts that require ground clearance. Like to see some pics if you have them . I have a wheel and tire combo in mind but I am going to tackle some smaller less expensive projects first
What size are you thinking? I've seen a few pics of people running larger tires on the FB groups. I put a slightly larger tire on mine but only to get to the same size as you RMAX2 guys. I don't think any of to OEM 30'S are true to size though. I definitely noticed an increase in my ground clearance on mine. I have had many people think I was running 32's.

Reactions: Wolverinegramps

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,153 Posts
I do really appreciate a nice set of tires (y)

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
401 Posts
I uh want to well hmm lost my concentration there for a moment, back to bigger tires, I have the Rmax4, it has 29's I want to go up a size to 30's but will need to purchase spacers, new wheels and such so I may for now just stick to 29's as Tusk Terrabites are offered in the size I would need and personally I like them as I had them on the X2.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
1,762 Posts
32's shouldn't be an issue. Especially since most of them are only around 31" tall. Not sure about 33's. I've seen a couple pics with them but still not sure. IMO they look way too big for the machine in the pics I've seen. Maybe if a lift kit was installed.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I'm running 28's on my X2 and I can go anywhere my buddies go that are running 32's and frame out.
Just pick a slightly different line. A inch or two one way or the other makes the difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super atv says with the 2inch lift you can run up to 33 . I'm sure other lift kit will be available shortly. Just to have more option.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Pretty good chance in right at a month from now I’ll be testing a set of brand new 32s that I may buy from my nephew. Before purchasing I’ll run them for a couple days in Moab where they’ll go through full extension and full lock. I’ll be able to give a good report after that on any rubbing issues and performance with the larger tires.

Reactions: Rod12056

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pretty good chance in right at a month from now I’ll be testing a set of brand new 32s that I may buy from my nephew. Before purchasing I’ll run them for a couple days in Moab where they’ll go through full extension and full lock. I’ll be able to give a good report after that on any rubbing issues and performance with the larger tires.
What brand tire are you trying? I like the looks of the XTR370 for an all around tire:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Those look very similar to a carnivore. They should do pretty well.
The tires he’s selling me are BF Goodrich KM3s, mounted on those same System 3 St3 bronze wheels in the link you sent. It’s a 1450.00 package for 800 bucks so I can’t turn it down. From everything I’ve researched they are comparable to slightly better than Terrabites on slick rock but much tougher in the sidewall. I was going to get Terrabites so this good since they are also quite a bit more money. Then I can swap summer and winter tires with no hassle. Reviews say they wear really well and are bullet proof on toughness in hard rocky terrain. I don’t see them so much as an all around tire like those system 3s or carnivores but they are pretty proven on the slick rock too so I’d use them as a summer tire in our hard rocky desert and high country conditions and save the carnivores for the spring mud and winter snow till there wore out.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I've seen a video with a guy running those BFG's on muddy rocks and they did way better than I expected.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I've seen a video with a guy running those on muddy rocks and they did way better than I expected.
Yeah I was pretty surprised. They just look pretty ordinary. One things for sure is a lot of desert races and KOHs have been won wearing them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on 32's but I am waiting for my wheels to show up to the US

Once those wheels are here i'm probably buying 32" Maxxis Rampages (specifically 32x10x15). The Rampages are a nice cross between Roxxzillas and Carnivores.

·
Registered
207 Posts
when are you headed to moab?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ugh. I'm going in mid May. Let me know how you do. I have a full trail list. I'll update that in a Moab thread.

·
Registered
635 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts