Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking through all of the posts and it seems like everyone else bought the EPS model. Is there anyone else out there that was as cheap as me and went for the model without?

·
Registered
18 Posts
How hard is it to steer without it? I have a Honda P2 700 and it steers ok. I am looking at a Wolverine and would like to save a thousands bucks if its not needed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tundraman,
When you get your new Wolverine EPS and start riding it, you will remember the times you were tugging on the wheel of that Pioneer and wonder why anyone would build a UTV without it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's not too bad. I don't have that many miles on mine, but haven't yet found a time where I said I wish I had bought the power steering. To be honest, I was more concerned with saving $1000 to have to put into extras that I wanted a lot more the. The power steering. There's another thread on here about what people have paid, and I've seen a couple say where they were pretty close to MSRP of he non EPS model. If I lived in an area with higher volume sales that could do prices like that, I may have gone that route, but the best deal I found on the EPS version was $12600 and I got mine for $11600. I have absolutely ZERO regrets about my purchase, just started this thread to see if anyone else went the cheaper route like I did.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You could always add eps. One of the guys I work and ride with added eps to his viking. He got a good deal on the eps kit. I think he paid $600 from super atv or some place like that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could always add eps. One of the guys I work and ride with added eps to his viking. He got a good deal on the eps kit. I think he paid $600 from super atv or some place like that.
That was my thinking. I saw aftermarket kits cheaper than the price difference in the factory prices. If I want it later, I'll take my chances in the aftermarket.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
I guess it depends on how much riding you do in a day. For me some days of good riding I'll put 80 to 100 miles in a day. I don't care who you are if you say it isn't nice having eps to do that much riding your lying to yourself.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it depends on how much riding you do in a day. For me some days of good riding I'll put 80 to 100 miles in a day. I don't care who you are if you say it isn't nice having eps to do that much riding your lying to yourself.
I never have, and probably won't do that much riding in a single day. I based my decision on the few rides I've done in my parents' Rhino. The only times in that I had whished I had power steering were the couple times I was at a dead stop and had to turn the wheel hard over. That goes along with what I've done in mine too. When I went in the factory demo ride, it was an EPS model and it seemed pretty twitchy at higher speeds.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Its all preference, but I sure like my EPS :) . After riding quads for years and trading my handlebars in for a steering wheel, the thing better be comfy for cruising. I can drive this thing with one hand on the wheel and the other hand holding my ice cold miller lite and never get tired.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My commander was non power steering. It could be a bit of a fight at times. I wouldn't do anything other than EPS now. If anyone is worried about saving money, you will get that back when you sell it. I imagine an EPS model will be way easier to sell.

I drive one handed like I'm in a buick. Super nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I never have, and probably won't do that much riding in a single day. I based my decision on the few rides I've done in my parents' Rhino. The only times in that I had whished I had power steering were the couple times I was at a dead stop and had to turn the wheel hard over. That goes along with what I've done in mine too. When I went in the factory demo ride, it was an EPS model and it seemed pretty twitchy at higher speeds.
It's true EPS is very smooth and a nice feature but truth be told I drove my Rhino for 8-10 hours a day for years and never had or thought I needed EPS. Now if you drive the EPS version I'm sure you'll be ruined once you see what you're missing but if you buy the non EPS then you never know the difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just looking through all of the posts and it seems like everyone else bought the EPS model. Is there anyone else out there that was as cheap as me and went for the model without?
I did and try locking your dif when your stuck and try turning the wheel it sucks so so much i wish i had gotten the power steering.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I havent seen a power steering kit for the wolverines yet. Do you know if the EPS kit for the viking will work on the wolverine too?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I put 2500 miles on my Rhino with 27's and no power steering and always told people that you don't need it. Now that I have the Wolverine with power steering I am preaching that you cant live without it. No more feeling like I almost broke my fingers from hitting a boulder in the trail at speed and having the steering wheel ripped out of my hand. I was in some really technical stuff the other day and was up against a rock ledge and was able to easily turn the wheel and it had enough power to actually push the Wolverine away from the rock and lift it up. No way could you do that without power steering.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I bought the non eps. Seems fine. My old rzr did not have eps either. So I guess I'm alittle biased. I like to save money so the non eps was the one I bought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have it either. Saved the money for options, and gives you a workout.
I also heard that the EPS changes the steering ratio so it takes more turns lock to lock?

Sean

1 - 20 of 22 Posts