Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people have been doing to prevent theft of the Wolverine when parked unattended. It seems very easy to steal. No wheel lock, no transmission lock, no locked doors (or windows...lol), no alarm system and no key immobilizer. Seems like a tire wheel lock might come in handy for this. Am thinking about taking a trip via a local trail soon and staying overnight in a hotel along the trail. Not sure I like just taking out the key and hoping for the best when parked overnight. Pulling the spark plug is a maybe. Any thoughts? Please share.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Around here it is quite common to steal the whole rig- truck and all. I would be as concerned about the vehicle hauling it as much as the Wolverine itself. Pulling the spark plug wouldn't really help, IMO, as they frequently steal the trailer, or, if that is secured, roll the UTV off the trailer and onto theirs. SPOT does make a GPS device you can hide in the utv. You can then track it if it is stolen. You do need a subscription and there is a monthly charge. But this is more after the fact. IMO, all you can do is make the trailer and the utv as secure as you can and make sure you have a good insurance policy. I have no words for the people who would steal your utv that you worked so hard to own. I believe in certain states they have "restitution laws". I like that. Maybe you would think twice about stealing someone's property if you had to pay for it.

·
July WOTM Winner!
100 Posts
Love the Shield

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Security at my house? I can walk ten feet in any direction and have a loaded weapon. We shoot in the back yard all the time, no way is anyone stupid enough to try to break in and steal anything around here.

As for the trail head parking problem, leave it on the ground, chained to a tree, with a boot on the tire. That will at least keep them busy long enough to either make enough noise for someone to hear it, or they will move on the an easier target. You don't have to out run the bear, just out run whoever you're with. Hopefully someone else will have a machine that is less secure, and they skip over yours. At the end of the day it's always a gamble.

Here is an example of a tire boot.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Seriously?
Never gone on an overnight trip or anything like that, but I keep the Shield loaded on my nightstand all the time and the loaded mags for the AR aren't very far away. And when I'm out and about without and drinking involved, I have the shield strapped to my right hip, so I feel sorry for anyone that tries to come to my place to try and steal anything.

·
Registered
198 Posts
insurance, liability and comprehensive which covers theft and fire, 159.00 year, it will ruin your trip for sure but that's better than being outta 10k dollars, cause the law around her is not gonna make no attempt to find it. not knocking any law inforcement on here

·
Registered
385 Posts
Now that's what I call real security. I can't think of anything more effective.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was considering the GPS option as well but like you say that is for recovery after the fact. To prevent theft I suppose a quality tire boot, heavy chain or security wire and a good lock may be the best options.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol I do own firearms however they would not be of much use if I was asleep in a hotel while my machine was parked outside. Also I live in Canada. To comply with regulations my guns are locked in my safe at home with the ammo separate. At home is not really an issue since it is kept inside the garage which has motion detection alarm system and HD cameras inside and outside around the property. Also there are ridiculous laws here that deter people from using firearms for protection unless in defense of someone using firearms against you. ie: you can't shoot someone for stealing or attempting to steal your side by side unless your life was deemed to be in imminent danger due to firearms being used in the process. If you could do that I suspect many people would think twice before even trying to do so.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sound like the best solution. A good deterrent at the very least.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Best bet is full coverage insurance. Mine stays locked in the garage. But I do travel quite a bit with it in tow.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Being a firm believer in instant justice myself one has to remember what Clint Eastwood said though " there's the way it is and them there's the way it should be ":cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Being a firm believer in instant justice myself one has to remember what Clint Eastwood said though " there's the way it is and them there's the way it should be ":cool:
U RIGHT;) and like rick said, I own plenty of firearms but down here where I'm from if you shoot someone steeling your machine u going to jail and the thief is gonna sue u if he lives :rolleyes:

the instructer that taught our class to get our carry permits told us, "off the record" he said, "if someone breaks in your house
and you shoot them make sure u kill them or they can come back and sue you". isn't that some bull........

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sad but that's the way it is all over. I can guarantee you can and wiLL be sued no matter how right your action is.

·
Registered
718 Posts
lol I do own firearms however they would not be of much use if I was asleep in a hotel while my machine was parked outside. Also I live in Canada. To comply with regulations my guns are locked in my safe at home with the ammo separate. At home is not really an issue since it is kept inside the garage which has motion detection alarm system and HD cameras inside and outside around the property. Also there are ridiculous laws here that deter people from using firearms for protection unless in defense of someone using firearms against you. ie: you can't shoot someone for stealing or attempting to steal your side by side unless your life was deemed to be in imminent danger due to firearms being used in the process. If you could do that I suspect many people would think twice before even trying to do so.
You HAVE to keep them locked up and have them separate from the ammo? That's f'ed up. Glad I don't live in Canada

Reactions: Idiot
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.