Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

air filter cleaner

12K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  danielplace1962 
#1 · (Edited)
It says to use parts solvent in the manual, to clean the air filter. I used some kind of parts cleaner in a SPRAY CAN the first time i cleaned it (don't remember the brand). Then washed the parts cleaner out with warm soapy water. Just curious to know what everyone else uses to clean theirs?? Spray can or not? Brand? Or does it even matter? I know you shouldn't use the spray type oil to oil the air filter as per the owners manual. I just put a small amount of motor oil in a large ziplock and put the air filter in that and squeezed it around for a minute or two. Got that idea from the yamaha place where i bought my wolverine. Mainly just wondering what kinda solvent people use to clean their air filter with, spray or not and what brand.

#3 ·
Ive used this setup for years and years, first of all i've always used Bel Ray Foam filter oil, its blue which helps see how much your putting on and its SUPER sticky so wear rubber gloves. The best way to get the oil and dirt off is in a parts cleaner tank with solvent. Once the oil is off I take it to a sink and let it sit in warm soapy water for a while and wash it again in it. Let it dry and re apply.

#5 ·
thank y'all i may do the diesel or gas in a bucket or paint can as i feel like it will get cleaned better that way cause the spray solvent is hard to mess with you gotta spray and hold the filter and that makes it hard to clean imo Thanks Yall

#12 ·
Most dealers should have the oil in a bottle or spray. The spray is less messy, just be sure to put a good amount on and then work it in real good. Squeeze it all around real good. I'm not sure why the manual doesn't recommend the spray. Also I forgot to mention to make sure it's dry after you wash it, I usually give mine a day to dry, I keep 2 filters on hand that way you always have a clean dry one. Don't go by hours for cleaning it either, just look at it especially if it's dusty out and if it's dirty clean it. Also get some rubber surgical type gloves, the oil is super sticky and doesn't like to wash off very easy.

#13 ·
I pulled my air filter this morning and the inside of the filter cage was clean as a whistle. I'm glad for that as I've heard more negative reviews about using motor oil to coat the filter, than good ones. Today I'm gonna get some air filter oil and use that instead, after the filter dries. Thanks for sharing how you all do it as everyone has some good info to bring to the table. Seems like a lot of the old cats use motor oil on their filters, but after asking, and doing some reading this clearly sounds like a no no these days.

#16 · (Edited)
I have used both Bel Ray and PJ1 both are crazy sticky.

What I do is take a large freezer bag. I put the filter inside with some oil and push most the air out and zip it up. Now I can work the crap out of it and I am not wasting the oil. I just leave the bag sealed and use it again on the next toys filter.

For cleaning I have cleaner it goes in and sits then you rinse it with a hose and it just washes right out with the old oil and dirt.. if you want to get crazy you can then go back and wash with dawn and water or whatever. You can also use the cleaner in a zip lock bag as well. That way you can use it more than once before throwing it out.

I have done the bag thing for years and its great and a lot less messy.

Once cleaned and re oiled I take it out and sit it on cardboard for a night to drain any excess off.

I imagine the sprays are not recommended because they are used too sparingly. It will change the color of the filter and people may think its penetrated but it may not have as thoroughly as the oil being worked into the filter. If you use the spray just use enough. Again a bag works for this too, leave the mouth open and spray into the bag on the filter. Also realize its got a propellant in it of some form so maybe that is the argument against sprays.

This cleaner goes a long ways:
http://www.amazon.com/Maxima-70-79964-Air-Filter-Cleaner/dp/B0068EPK7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464385571&sr=8-2&keywords=foam+oil+filter+cleaner

A whole range of oils available:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foam+oil+filter+oil

#17 ·
I clean mine with gas, then use bel ray filter oil. I put the clean filter in a plastic shopping bag, pour some filter oil on it then work it in. That way i don't have to keep gloves in the garage.
I also have 2 filters. I keep the second one oiled and in a ziploc bag. That way, when I'm on a trip, i have a spare, just in case

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.