Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2021 X4
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to go on a trip to Sawmill station in idaho, its supposed to be a UTV paradise, tons of crazy trails through the woods to old mines and lakes etc.
I'm considering the adventure pro as I tend to get lost quite often, my question is is it worth 1k$ or is there a better alternative?

Registered
I'd get an iPad, mount it with a charger running to it, then download trail apps that use GPS. Then you have an iPad you can take out of the machine too, plus download hunting apps if you do stuff like that.

In my mind the adventure pro machine tablet should be $200 less than a $600 iPad to even consider... instead it's $1500 Canadian 馃槀 . I think they're selling those to guys who have recently upgraded from dial up internet.
Jks, if guys like the additional machine info plus maps I'm sure the product is ok, price point is out to lunch in my mind though.

Reactions: Glock10mm

Registered
2021 X4
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the idea of being able to monitor the machine better, and I do believe maps would make riding much more fun and less stress about getting lost, but yes the price is absolutely horrific in my opinion. But it is water proof and shock proof which is a plus, ill keep your opinion in mind as I have also thought about something to that effect.

Reactions: Dan

Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
Getting ready to go on a trip to Sawmill station in idaho, its supposed to be a UTV paradise, tons of crazy trails through the woods to old mines and lakes etc.
I'm considering the adventure pro as I tend to get lost quite often, my question is is it worth 1k$ or is there a better alternative?
Last I heard not all Ipads come with onboard GPS. A lot of people use the Samsung 7 or 8" tablets, they have very good onboard GPS, and are water and dust resistant in the right thin case. That Sawmill station looks pretty nice, may have to check that one out!

Registered
I like the idea of being able to monitor the machine better, and I do believe maps would make riding much more fun and less stress about getting lost, but yes the price is absolutely horrific in my opinion. But it is water proof and shock proof which is a plus, ill keep your opinion in mind as I have also thought about something to that effect.
I would take a close look at the trailtech voyager pro. You can monitor UTV vitals(comes with a CVT temp probe), RPM. GPS works great. Has buddy tracking if a friend has one or a Polaris guy has ride command and purchased the antenna. I subscribed to CALTOPO and pre map all my rides and waypoints and then load them to the trailtech and you can have as detailed a map as you want. We have 4 in or group and all really like them

Premium Member
2021 X2 XT-R 850
In a word, no. I installed the adventure Pro in my 2020 X2. I had to go back to Yamaha twice for repair. The second time, they just replaced it with a new one. Which I immediately sold. I was a big fan of the adventure Pro. Not worth the coin. I replaced it with a Samsung galaxy tab A7. $225 including the mount. With the exception of the vehicle telemetry, which I do not miss and did not use very often, it does a better job, it has a bigger screen, it is better supported with apps and updates. I am much happier with the Samsung tablet.
The adventure Pro has an antiquated version of the android operating system. I think it鈥檚 6.1. And it cannot be updated. It just seems that the adventure pro is clunky and compromised. Everything I tried to do was a struggle. And I am a bona fide geek! I went with an android tablet even though I鈥檝e always been an Apple guy. The Samsung has a built-in compass. Not all tablets do. My go to navigation app is Maprika. Maprika was clearly developed for an android device and then it was adapted to iOS.
Harry

Premium Member
2021 Yamaha RMAX2 1000
In retrospect I don't think I would spend the money for the Adventure Pro. It came on my XTR. The gauges are good and the back track feature is good but the greatest disappointment was not being able to download other maps to the device easily. I purchased a Samsung Tab A 7" tablet and mount and I am much happier with it.

Premium Member
In a word, no. I installed the adventure Pro in my 2020 X2. I had to go back to Yamaha twice for repair. The second time, they just replaced it with a new one. Which I immediately sold. I was a big fan of the adventure Pro. Not worth the coin. I replaced it with a Samsung galaxy tab A7. $225 including the mount. With the exception of the vehicle telemetry, which I do not miss and did not use very often, it does a better job, it has a bigger screen, it is better supported with apps and updates. I am much happier with the Samsung tablet.
The adventure Pro has an antiquated version of the android operating system. I think it鈥檚 6.1. And it cannot be updated. It just seems that the adventure pro is clunky and compromised. Everything I tried to do was a struggle. And I am a bona fide geek! I went with an android tablet even though I鈥檝e always been an Apple guy. The Samsung has a built-in compass. Not all tablets do. My go to navigation app is Maprika. Maprika was clearly developed for an android device and then it was adapted to iOS.
Harry
I also have the Tab A. I run Waypoint GPS which I really like. The whole setup was very inexpensive. I sold my 2020x4 and am waiting on Rmax4 LE. After reading about issues with Ad Pro I am thinking I may have to mount the tablet. I was really hoping for a way to get the adventure pro to work. Massive has posted a map he was able to get to work with Ad Pro. I am going to try that first.

Premium Member
2021 X2 XT-R 850
I also have the Tab A. I run Waypoint GPS which I really like. The whole setup was very inexpensive. I sold my 2020x4 and am waiting on Rmax4 LE. After reading about issues with Ad Pro I am thinking I may have to mount the tablet. I was really hoping for a way to get the adventure pro to work. Massive has posted a map he was able to get to work with Ad Pro. I am going to try that first.
If I was in your situation, I would immediately uninstall the adventure pro and sell it. I would use the proceeds to buy and mount a Tab A7, windshield, rear window, and still have $$ left over!
Oh, wait! You already have the A7. Add harnesses to that order!
Harry

Registered
... I do believe maps would make riding much more fun and less stress...
You probably know, but you can already download off-road map apps and use your phone's GPS. An example of one we use up here is Avenza, not sure if that ones used in your area.

...not all Ipads come with onboard GPS. A lot of people use the Samsung 7 or 8" tablets, they have very good onboard GPS
That's correct, you need to get a WiFi+Cellular model, which there are still a couple options far cheaper than the Adventure Pro.
I'm in the Apple ecosystem so just quickly mentioned iPad, but you're right, a Samsung tablet can get even cheaper and will probably do the job just fine if it's strictly a screen for the machine(or if you prefer android).

...The adventure Pro has an antiquated version of the android operating system. I think it鈥檚 6.1. And it cannot be updated. It just seems that the adventure pro is clunky and compromised. Everything I tried to do was a struggle...
I was 99% sure this was the case with the comments I've seen, hence my dial-up joke. No way does Yamaha have a tech department keeping up with the latest tablet firmware upgrades that's also upgrading their software and keeping it cutting edge.
In a day and age where you can spend under a grand and get a tablet that's more powerful than a computer, you'd be spending $1500 on a cheap, outdated tablet that reads your machine's RPM... if that's worth it for somebody, then go for it, but I think there's far better value to be had.

In 2021 I'd think Yamaha would be far better off allocating their Adventure Pro resources to developing a modem and App that would be plug and play on IOS and Android then selling a subscription or a one time hefty fee for the app. I think they'd be pulling money out of a lot more of us than just those buying the Adventure Pro.

But what do I know, maybe the most expensive tablet on the market (the 9 year old Yamaha tablet 馃槀 ) is flying off the shelves and they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Registered
In a day and age where you can spend under a grand and get a tablet that's more powerful than a computer, you'd be spending $1500 on a cheap, outdated tablet that reads your machine's RPM... if that's worth it for somebody, then go for it, but I think there's far better value to be had.
This is how I look at it too. Depends which is more important to people, the mapping or gauages. Still a hefty price for gauges. If mapping is the most important, then it has already been addressed that there are better and cheaper options.

Registered
I'm a total geek when it comes to tech. In fact, I regularly use both iOS and Android devices just to get the best of both worlds. That being said, if my rig didn't come w/the AP, there is no way I'd pay the retail price for it. It's so clunky and outdated that even just using it for a few minutes, I noticed how under powered it is. The AP uses a version of Android that's rather old and at least 5 versions behind what is currently available. The only pros to this unit, at least for me, are the factory mounting integration and telemetry monitoring. However, this does not come remotely close to validating the $1k USD price tag. Yamaha should have given us something that is current to the tech and software capabilities of 2021, not something that was new about 4 or 5 years ago.

As an AP owner, I wonder will these units need firmware updates? If they do, how many upgrades will we get before a new model comes out (or before the hardware reaches it's performance limitations ...and trust me, it's almost there out of the box). Will the new AP model be an upgradeable option into older machines with an AP mount? Unfortunately, I see mine being solely used as a telemetry monitoring unit in the future. Hopefully, Yamaha addresses this with an updated solution, and (fingers crossed) one that can easily replace the current model.

To address the "Is there something better out there?" part of your question, I think Harry's idea of using a Galaxy tablet is sound. I would also recommend Gaia. I tried using Gaia on an iPad Mini with a bluetooth GPS module, and it worked quite well. I would also look into loading Gaia on your mobile phone too. Get yourself a RAM phone mount and a USB cable to keep your phone charged while you're out on the trails, and I think that would work as well as anything ...plus you'd save some $ compared with going the AP route!

Registered
I wondered the same thing about future updated hardware. I hope they give those who adopted their old tech will get and incentive when/if they come out with something newer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts