Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Well, since picking up my new Wolverine more than a month ago, I haven't driven it much nor have I had a chance to work on it much due to it being so COLD lately. I finally grew some and put on a coat and bought some propane for the heater and have been spending a few nights in my garage trying to get this thing set up like my Rhino was. And I'm close now. One of the last things on my list before I really hit any trails was to get a baseline on my suspension settings and then adjust them if necessary. First, a big thanks to SKELLEY521. He sent me some basics and instructions on some good baseline adjustments and I think I'm now adjusted to a good starting point and will fine tune it from here. I wanted to document the original settings anyway and decided to go ahead and adjust some of them. Most were adjusted to "normal" from the factory, but as you can see below there were some settings that were off a little. So, here goes.

First of all...my riding style. I was a mechanic for years and have a bad back. My Rhino had a really nice Elka suspension on it that was adjusted perfectly to my non-aggressive riding style and that is one of the reasons I wanted the XT-R was so that I could hopefully achieve that same level of comfort without buying a $$$$$$ suspension kit.

Second...tools needed. I tried in vain to fins a suitable wrench to adjust the shocks and decided to go ahead and just use the old hammer and punch that I used to use on the Rhino...and that worked perfectly. A little slow, but works perfectly. The only other "special" tool might be a really really short screwdriver to adjust the REBOUND DAMPING on the REAR. The fronts were easy.

Ok, here goes: (I'm approximating the measurements FYI)

1. Ride Height/Preload. Mine were all pretty much set to the "Standard" setting according to the owners manual and I wanted to go to full SOFT front and rear. Fronts were 13.5" and I adjusted them to 13 13/16 (basically the 13.84" softest setting in the book. The rears were set to 14" and I adjusted them to 14.25, which is also the softest setting. Basically, you are adjusting them about 1/4" which might equate to maybe 1/2" ride height...which happens to be almost exactly how much height I lost after all was said and done. Glad I got the 2" Perfex lift installed in the front, by lowering it down a little and lifting the front a little...it looks pretty normal. Taking out that 1/4" of preload, I ended up pretty much at the END of the adjustment on all 4 shocks. I don't think I could even go much softer, even if it were within spec.

2. Rebound Damping. I wanted full soft to start with on this also. Fronts were 14 and 13 clicks ("standard" is supposed to be 14 clicks) so I set both my fronts to 30 clicks which is the minimum/softest setting. The fronts are really easy to adjust. The rears were set to about 10 clicks each, which is also standard. I didn't really get an accurate reading on the before setting as these are hard to get to and harder to count the clicks. Once all the way in, it's pretty easy to count the clicks OUT...so again, I set these to the softest for the rear, which is also 30 clicks.

3. Fast Compression. This is the big "NUT" at the top of each shock. And once again, I wanted FULL SOFT on this setting. Fronts were already at 1 3/4" turns out, which was full soft already. Rears were set at 1 1/4" turns out, which is the standard setting, so I set them to full soft, 1 3/4" out.

4. Slow compression. This adjustment can affect body roll...so I wanted to leave these at about the STANDARD setting, rather than the full soft. I still have my swaybars hooked up, so I might be able to soften these up later also depending on how it does. Anyway, These were 13 and 11 in the front (13 is standard) so I set these to 14 each. Just one click softer than standard. On the rears these were 10 and 8...12 is standard...so I set both of these to 13 each. Again, just one click softer than standard.

5. Finally, tires. I'm at 11 lbs front 13 lbs rear. These are the 27" dirt commanders.

Now I need to go out and put some miles on it and see how I like the settings. As mentioned, I'm not very agressive and really am looking for the best possible ride. I'll likely end up modifying the adjustments, but after reading here and in the instruction manual, and conversing with some knowledgeable people (thanks again!) at least I know what and where to adjust now!

This was pretty easy and took maybe an hour or two at the most and I was dinking around putting tools away the whole time also. I really suggest that everyone with these adjustable shocks at least check them out and find out where your baseline settings are and go from there.
Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Randy

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just did the same thing on my 2020 x2 xt-r with 11 psi all around. Not perfect, but pretty good on the bumpy stuff and rocks.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Sounds like you are off to a good start Randy.
Fully adjustable shocks can be a little confusing at first, but as you found out, once you wrap your head around it and put some hands on them, it's not as complicated as many of us first thought.
The benefit of tweaking them to fit your specific needs is worth the effort IMHO.

Since I was down for 2 axles, I wanted to get some measurements and I installed the rear sway bar with Perfex brackets that came with the lift.
I don't remember what I found measurement wise, but I decided to leave them on for now and do some test runs after I install the axles this week.
I'll see how that goes and may even tweak depending on my results.

Let us know how it goes after you put some time on those settings and what you think. :)

Reactions: N.E.T.O.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Great thread Randy! (N.E.T.O.)
Excellent contribution, thanks so much. This will be one I reference when people ask about shock settings. Keep us posted on your findings, if you are not sure it is valuable it may be to some and it revives the thread. I look forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @Paul65 !

I would love to take credit for all this but credit where credit is [email protected] really helped me out a lot with these settings. I figure he saved me about 100 miles and a few months of learning curve!

So far the settings have worked out very well and I noticed a REAL difference in the ride compared to the way it was before. It literally soaks up the bumps off road AND on road. Railroad track crossings before would jar my fillings out, now it just glides over them with not a care in the world!

Since these adjustments, the only re-adjustment I did was to go from 30 clicks down to 25 clicks on the REBOUND DAMPING on the REARS ONLY. 30 clicks out was full soft (fast rebound) and I wanted to slow it down slightly once I disconnected the sway bars for off road, so I turned them both in 5 clicks. It's amazing that the differences can really be felt with these adjustments!

Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts