Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be using or losing oil lately,have added oil three times , 90 hrs.since last oil change .anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well if you've really gone 90hrs It needs to be changed real bad. On the other hand if you only gone 90 miles. I would check the oil filter and drain plug for leaks. Then I would look at all the hoses and connection going to the oil cooler. I have 80 miles since last oil change. Oil has not gone down at all.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yamaha recommends every 150 hours
Well if you've really gone 90hrs It needs to be changed real bad. On the other hand if you only gone 90 miles. I would check the oil filter and drain plug for leaks. Then I would look at all the hoses and connection going to the oil cooler. I have 80 miles since last oil change. Oil has not gone down at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I Had a loose oil line right above my oil filter that I had to tighten. It was leaking a little bit of oil. I change mine every 80 hrs and haven't lost any after I have done that!

·
Registered
718 Posts
My bad I thought it was every 20hrs or 200 miles. I am a lot happier to learn this thanks.
That's the break in. Owners manual says 6 months/1500 miles/150 hours whatever comes first for the regular changes. I know in my last 4 wheeler, I did it 2-3 times a year when I rode a lot, but once I got to where I was only riding a few times a year, I did it every spring.

As for your issue trailcutter, the only helpful advice I can offer is what has already been suggested. Check all lines, drain plug, filter, and even look at the oil cooler real well. My dad was losing oil in his rhino and ended up having a hole in his oil cooler. It was small enough you couldn't really see a stream coming out, but leaked enough that he had to add oil a few times before he got out and gave it a good going over and found the hole.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok guys just bare with me please. Say a average of 400 miles ever 30 hrs. @ 90hrs would equal around 1200 miles. These are hi rev motors isn't it possible during brake in that this oil is just going by the rings and out the tail pipe. That might be the reason Tinkin said to check the plug. Although it may not some up there. When my Harley was new I was going through about 1/2 qt oil every 1000 miles during brake in.

Not that I wouldn't still give it a good once over.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I Had a loose oil line right above my oil filter that I had to tighten. It was leaking a little bit of oil. I change mine every 80 hrs and haven't lost any after I have done that!
is there a clamp on this line or is it threaded?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys just bare with me please. Say a average of 400 miles ever 30 hrs. @ 90hrs would equal around 1200 miles. These are hi rev motors isn't it possible during brake in that this oil is just going by the rings and out the tail pipe. That might be the reason Tinkin said to check the plug. Although it may not some up there. When my Harley was new I was going through about 1/2 qt oil every 1000 miles during brake in.

Not that I wouldn't still give it a good once over.
mine should be broke in by now with 2600 miles and 360 hours.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the break in. Owners manual says 6 months/1500 miles/150 hours whatever comes first for the regular changes. I know in my last 4 wheeler, I did it 2-3 times a year when I rode a lot, but once I got to where I was only riding a few times a year, I did it every spring.

As for your issue trailcutter, the only helpful advice I can offer is what has already been suggested. Check all lines, drain plug, filter, and even look at the oil cooler real well. My dad was losing oil in his rhino and ended up having a hole in his oil cooler. It was small enough you couldn't really see a stream coming out, but leaked enough that he had to add oil a few times before he got out and gave it a good going over and found the hole.
I looked the cooler lines over,but will take a closer look at the core,i am not noticing any oil on my shop floor ,oil is still clean

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you pull your plug yet? What does it look like?
no I haven't had time ,do you have to take the box off to access plug?oil consumtion seems worse when running on backroad at higher speeds,have been putting down the the trails lately and seems fine.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You find anything yet?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
no I haven't had time ,do you have to take the box off to access plug?oil consumtion seems worse when running on backroad at higher speeds,have been putting down the the trails lately and seems fine.
Sorry I totally missed this post somehow. Yes, it would be best to remove the bed to take the plug out, but if i remember correctly I think i could see it when I had the center console removed, not sure though. On further with troubleshooting, do you notice any smoke at start up, or under acceleration or deceleration? If you have any blue smoke at start up or deceleration it could be valve seals, if it's under acceleration, it's likely piston rings. If you don't see any seals leaking anywhere, you don't likely have any weird pressurization issues going on, it must be burning the oil. You will know for sure if you check the plug. A sure fire test for the rings is a dry compression test followed by a wet one. If the dry one registers a significantly lower pressure reading than the wet test, you have leaking rings.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sorry I totally missed this post somehow. Yes, it would be best to remove the bed to take the plug out, but if i remember correctly I think i could see it when I had the center console removed, not sure though. On further with troubleshooting, do you notice any smoke at start up, or under acceleration or deceleration? If you have any blue smoke at start up or deceleration it could be valve seals, if it's under acceleration, it's likely piston rings. If you don't see any seals leaking anywhere, you don't likely have any weird pressurization issues going on, it must be burning the oil. You will know for sure if you check the plug. A sure fire test for the rings is a dry compression test followed by a wet one. If the dry one registers a significantly lower pressure reading than the wet test, you have leaking rings.
thanks for the info ,I am going to keep a close watch on it and if it's still using oil will contact my dealer as it is still under warranty.as far as smoke it is hard to see what's going on behind you when by yourself.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
finally found my leak,it was the same as yours,the clamp was sure loose,it took awhile to show up as it has been wet fall .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts