Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Slowly adding my accessories still. With snow plowing, brisk mornings, then the wind/bugs from occasional higher speeds, a windshield's benefits are obvious.
Thinking of going with the SuperATV Flip up, then along with a windshield I understand you need something in the rear to avoid low pressure dust suction, so we like this Motoroof rear netting panel as it won't impede on packing awkward things in the back, as well as looks to be lower maintenance(cleaning/scratches) than a hard panel.

We really enjoy our sunny summer cruises on low speed trails fully exposed with no accessories right now, which is also why we like the flip up windshield idea and mesh back. So here's the odd question, do we really need a roof. Does it greatly cut down on wind inside the cabin. I can count the number of days it rained this summer, so we don't need it for that. Also does it break easy, my top roll bars are pretty scratched from banging tight tress, can the roofs handle that? We can always go without and see, but just curious what everyone else's opinions on the roofs are, especially if we like the wide open cruising feeling.

Thanks, and feel free to comment on the other accessories(pros/cons/experience)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've never not had a roof so I can't comment on that. What I can suggest it making your own rear mesh window. I made my own out of storm window bug screen from the hardware store. I used Velcro to mount it to the cage. At the most $20 and it looked exactly like your link for $185. Probably better because you can custom make it. It made a considerable difference keeping dust out of the cab. I also made one for the front for summer driving. For the winter I had a direction 2 flip out windshield and made a full cab out of shower curtains that I used velcro to mount to the cab. Made a rear window out of a shower curtain too. Maybe $40 and I had a full cab that stayed pretty toasty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Factory roof is very tough. Mines had a lot of tree limbs over it and never hurt it at all. I like keeping the hot sun off me at times, and rain sometimes.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
And just to throw it out there... I had the OEM roof to start with. I chopped the cage to clear a 72" tunnel crossing and had an aluminum sheet fabricated for a new roof. $138 for the sheet, plus powdercoating. Not for everyone, but it's an option. Compare this to the cost of an OEM roof and it becomes attractive. So far the powercoat has been exceptional at holding up.

For me, I would never not have a roof or a rear window. Run a front half window when its warm and a full front window when its not.

Reactions: Dan and therebel19

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And just to throw it out there... I had the OEM roof to start with. I chopped the cage to clear a 72" tunnel crossing and had an aluminum sheet fabricated for a new roof. $138 for the sheet, plus powdercoating. Not for everyone, but it's an option. Compare this to the cost of an OEM roof and it becomes attractive. So far the powercoat has been exceptional at holding up.

For me, I would never not have a roof or a rear window. Run a front half window when its warm and a full front window when its not.
Nice... clever idea Paul. What do you like about a rear window that makes it a staple?

·
Registered
536 Posts
For me, I ran rear mesh screening in the summer. Not as effective as full rear window but still helps tremendously to keep dust out and offer a little shade. Full rear window in the winter for obvious reasons.

·
Premium Member
2020 X2-XTR
167 Posts
DFCDD473-5066-4734-A690-AA3FBB37DB48.jpeg
Tough? Yes. Indestructible? No! Lost a battle with low branch at probably 20 mph. The branch rode up the post and under the roof. $300 then, now, since Yamaha decided to rape it’s customers with a massive price increase for accessories, $500. Same thing on the Adventure Pro, when I purchased the buggy in Jan 20 $700, now $1000. I will have to live with it the way it is! I will not bend over and let them stick it in!
Harry
Sorry I am pissed on this one.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Nice... clever idea Paul. What do you like about a rear window that makes it a staple?
SuperATV hard rear is my favorite. I also have the OEM soft rear. Both are great I just prefer the hard one. It’s tinted and doesn’t flap or move when riding or towing at 75 mph.

Reactions: Dan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts