Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an owner of a gas station, I'm curious about your ease in finding ethanol free fuel and how much you are paying for which grade.please include your state also. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In southeast Pa. one station has 87 for $3.35 a gal. and 91 for$3.75. Search pure-gas dot org.
It's a website of stations that offer pure gas in US and Canada.

·
Registered
388 Posts
They got it here in Louisiana it's sparse, but available. When I find it it's usually the supreme so its high like $4

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Its pretty easy to find here in WI. Usually have to get it in premium lately been about $4.00

·
Registered
186 Posts
My local stations both carry 90 octane ethonal fuel for about 4.25 a gallon. Because the wolverine is rated for 86 octane fuel I only run the 90 in the fa as part of the winterization process. In Michigan the average ethanol content is between 6 and 10% but with the cost of gas being so low the fuel companies are using less ethanol as ethonal costs more in some cases.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is it better to use non ethanol gas ? Dealer said I can use either.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Is it better to use non ethanol gas ? Dealer said I can use either.
A quick and dirty explanation here..

Basically, ethanol sucks. It's used as a diluting agent to make our petroleum go farther, and to appease the democrats. Fuel mileage decreases with it's use, and risk of engine failure increases. There are many studies showing this. Basically, alcohol in the fuel makes it easier for the fuel mixture to retain water, which makes it more likely to harm your engine. Newer vehicles are designed to combat the corrosive nature of the ethanol blended fuels, but most small engine items still are not; string trimmer, chainsaw, push mower, etc. I use a fuel stabilizer in all my toys to help prevent any damage from water retention. It's cheap insurance. I used to carry a bottle in my pack so when riding on long trips if i had to stop at a shady gas station that might have water in the gas, I had some protection with me. In summary, ethanol sucks. We are supposed to EAT corn. F*cking democrats.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Also ethanol is corn based, as such..like corn syrup, ethanol can and will gum up over time in a vehicle or engine that's not used on a normal bases.. In short if you do run ethanol, don't park your wolverine for months (winter) with just ethanol/gas in it.. As it can clog lines..

As Ford truck man said, they make additives that stabilize it when storing to reduce the chance of problems.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use ethanol fuels during the riding season and about 2 weeks to a month prior to putting the vehicle/ equipment away for the season I start fueling with 90 octane recreational fuel without ethnol. I do this with all of my seasonal equipment with the exception of my diesel mower which does not have ethanol in it's fuel. I also use Startron fuel additive at this time and one 8 ounce bottle treats about 48 gallons with an enzyme compound that will stabilize fuel for upto 24 months.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive

For larger fuel amounts like storage tanks try the concentrate (see below)!

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-fuel-additive

·
Engineer
1,776 Posts
Stabilizer is key when using ethanol adjusted fuels. In the past, we used Startron, which is very good. We now use Stabil marine formula (Stabil green), even in our race fuels. If you pull the msds or sds on Startron and Stabil red, they are identical. Stabil green has an additional additive that re-emulsifies water back into the fuel so that it can be burned without the addition of more alcohol. We tested this by adding each additive to fuel in glass beakers. We then added water to each sample. All samples were able to reduce the water added except for the Stabil green which came out at 100% emulsified. Pretty amazing, it appeared as if we hadn't added any water to the sample at all.

Marine STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment, Fuel Stabilizer for Boats & More

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pretty much none around here...couple airports and marinas but nothing on the road.

And the problem with ethanol is not just that it makes it easier for the fuel to retain water but that it is actually hygroscopic (attracts water).

We have a Yamaha Moto4 (from 1986 or 7) that my wife got new. The carb was so gummed up it wasn't even funny. If I could get pure gas reasonably priced around here, that is all I would run in all of my engines (truck can take E85 but it will never see it, also not available around here but I would't run it anyway).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use the stabil for outboards motors. It claims to be made for use with ethanol. Use it in all my vehicles now... good stuff. I could really tell the difference when I try it in my Harley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts