Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yamaha finally got their shipment in from Japan I got mine today. 10 minute install
One new pic to help you guys decide

Attachments

Reactions: Kirk57 and Wi_Rider

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Did you have to move the plastic piece? It looks like it may uncover the CV joint closest to the wheel for sticks to hit.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes the instructions said to remove them and they will not be reused. I thought it left a good bit of the boot showing but I think the design is to deflect sticks away when it hits the guard in front. I sure hope it works I've had to replace a boot already and getting it fixed cost as much as the set of guards for both front and rear.. The dealership prices are making me a mechanic. I think I'm going to try installing the sheave kit myself.

Were you able to open attachment?

·
Registered
367 Posts
From personal experience with atvs I would not buy those guards ... their is no protection for the outer boot. Turn the wheel to full lock and see how much room is between the guard and rim then have it filled with aluminium.. yamaha had this issue with the grizzly guards when they used warn to build them. They guarded the a arm but not the boots .. and they had no drains and just held rocks inside.
I have had more luck running no guards then I have had running aluminium guards

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
From personal experience with atvs I would not buy those guards ... their is no protection for the outer boot. Turn the wheel to full lock and see how much room is between the guard and rim then have it filled with aluminium.. yamaha had this issue with the grizzly guards when they used warn to build them. They guarded the a arm but not the boots .. and they had no drains and just held rocks inside.
I have had more luck running no guards then I have had running aluminium guards
that's the issue my buddy with a polaris 800 hundred had with his guards,they filled up with mud and were hard to clean,he also poked one boot with guards on.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No but neither does the back set which i've had for awhile the power washer has been no problem blowing the mud out the end

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You defiantly have a point on the guards but I tore my last boot on a piece of wire rope which the wheel pulled up and wrapped around the axle if I had them at that point it wouldn't of been able to tear the boot. But I totally.agree with you There are pros and cons on the guards.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jealous...spoke with dealer today.Ordered mine in June,supposed to be here in July,then Aug,then Sept,then Oct,now are telling me Nov 15.May not need them by then.Spoke with Weller Racing today,very nice people.Said if there is enough interest,they will be making higher clearance a-arms,full suspension lift kits with high clearance.Possible with +2 back & forth and/or out.Also...have the rear guards,they fill with mud,used a holesaw for a drain in the bottom,now they are fine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holes are a great idea believe i'LL drill mine. It would be a lot easier to flush out

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Jealous...spoke with dealer today.Ordered mine in June,supposed to be here in July,then Aug,then Sept,then Oct,now are telling me Nov 15.May not need them by then.Spoke with Weller Racing today,very nice people.Said if there is enough interest,they will be making higher clearance a-arms,full suspension lift kits with high clearance.Possible with +2 back & forth and/or out.Also...have the rear guards,they fill with mud,used a holesaw for a drain in the bottom,now they are fine.
I just cancelled my order. Order them june 2nd...kept saying next month, next month, etc. Now, after seeing them, I don't want them. That's not a good design at all. Looks like I will fab some up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad the pics were helpful to you.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Glad the pics were helpful to you.
Welp, so much for that idea...I sent in my order cancellation, and 6 hours later got a confirmation of shipment. Convenient. They wont take them back either without a restocking fee of 20%. So...anyone want to buy front and back a-arm guards lol. I can probably do 350$ shipped anywhere in the US for both sets. PM me.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Welp, so much for that idea...I sent in my order cancellation, and 6 hours later got a confirmation of shipment. Convenient. They wont take them back either without a restocking fee of 20%. So...anyone want to buy front and back a-arm guards lol. I can probably do 350$ shipped anywhere in the US for both sets. PM me.
my dealer cancelled my overfender order,i think he was embarrassed with the backorder from Yamaha.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Allout or anyone else who has the guards, if you don't mind going to check, with the wheels straight ahead, what is the gap from the rotor guard to the aluminum a arm guard. I just checked the spacing to the stock plastic one and it's about 3 1/4 inches. I know in this pic the gap looks smaller than Allout's pic showed, but it's not exactly straight on. I've been looking at these guards for the front and rear, but don't know I want to do it if it leaves more exposed on the front end.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Measured ft-3 1/2
So it's only around 1/4" extra exposure than the stock plastic ones then. That may be worth it to e able to avoid anything coming up through the bottom and getting into both boots from that direction.

Thanks for checking that. Pics show good stuff, but sometimes you have to rely on the actual numbers because looks can be deceiving.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Now measure how much space is left when the wheels are at full lock (tightest to the guard it can be) then befor you install the guards go get a local ship to fill the void with some aluminium and weld it in ... problem solved for cheap. Hell you could even cut it and bolt it in. But personal I would wait for a more reputable company to build a better guard. Ricochet wants to they just can't get their hands on a machine for fab work

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mimeeks3 the pic I posted is with the wheel cut all the was. The measurement is 4" if taken as in your pic. I personally think the are a big plus. Was away sorry for not answering sooner wa at Hatfield Mccoy trail last 4 days.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mimeeks3 the pic I posted is with the wheel cut all the was. The measurement is 4" if taken as in your pic. I personally think the are a big plus. Was away sorry for not answering sooner wa at Hatfield Mccoy trail last 4 days.
No problem. Glad someone got to get out and ride some while I was working all weekend. Looking like it'll probably be a couple more weeks before I get the chance to get mine out. We're short handed at work and coming out of a month long maintenance shutdown so I've been getting to work quite a bit of non-voluntary OT. That's what sucks about living in town, I have to load it up and go somewhere to ride. My parents live out in the sticks and can just jump in their Rhino and cruise backroads for an hour or so in the evening if they want.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts