Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was excited to take my new ride on a quick trip to check it out. My first issue was it didn't want to stay running when I first started it. The temps were in the 60's so not that cold. I would start but as soon as you touched the accelerator it would stall. Took about 5 minutes of this to get it to say running. Second was the lack of any colored labels on the shifter, lights & 4x4 knob. I did mark them with a paint pen like I read about on here. Not impressed with the cheezy plastics. Center console lid, rear seat belt cover(doesn't stay latched), glove box. No weather striping to seal these areas. The rear seat sliders are very awkward to use, once unlatched the seat is very loose and doesn't slide easily. I have size 12 shoes. The foot space up front is seriously lacking. I don't know why Yamaha put that angled foot rest in there but to me it takes up space and is awkward to rest your foot on. A few hours into the ride I got fidgety trying to find a comphy place for my left leg. My passenger said the same about their right leg. This led to more frequent stops to stretch. I wanted to see how the back seat ride was so I rode back there for a while. It felt more comfortable. Yes, my center console is scratched to heck from the seatbelts. Thanks Yamaha!! Speaking of which, the seatbelt reminder has to go!!! WTH Yamaha???! The rubber adjuster is also a pain. both of us were getting rashes on our shoulders/neck from the belt. So much so my passenger had to ride without the belt the last half of our trip. My first thought was to just remove the whole thing and just let the belt come out of the retractor. A few hours into the ride I developed a rolling squeak. Gets louder the faster you go. Dusty drive train?? I also got a front suspension squeak. up and down it would squeak. Props for the power steering :) and cupholders. On going down a slight grade, maintaining speed would cause the engine to surge and the engine brake clutch would clatter. I am adding switches to the dash. Why did Yamaha make the holes side ways?? The switches are printed upright. Another thing, the brakes are weak. I don't know if they needed bedded but I needed to pushhard on the pedal to stop with some speed. Overall, it is visually impressive looking, mechanical parts look beefy. Ride quality, leg room, fit and finish isn't any better than my 07 Rhino. I think I was expecting a little bit more for $22,000. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

·
Registered
2019 Wolverine X2 R-Spec
15 Posts
I was excited to take my new ride on a quick trip to check it out. My first issue was it didn't want to stay running when I first started it. The temps were in the 60's so not that cold. I would start but as soon as you touched the accelerator it would stall. Took about 5 minutes of this to get it to say running. Second was the lack of any colored labels on the shifter, lights & 4x4 knob. I did mark them with a paint pen like I read about on here. Not impressed with the cheezy plastics. Center console lid, rear seat belt cover(doesn't stay latched), glove box. No weather striping to seal these areas. The rear seat sliders are very awkward to use, once unlatched the seat is very loose and doesn't slide easily. I have size 12 shoes. The foot space up front is seriously lacking. I don't know why Yamaha put that angled foot rest in there but to me it takes up space and is awkward to rest your foot on. A few hours into the ride I got fidgety trying to find a comphy place for my left leg. My passenger said the same about their right leg. This led to more frequent stops to stretch. I wanted to see how the back seat ride was so I rode back there for a while. It felt more comfortable. Yes, my center console is scratched to heck from the seatbelts. Thanks Yamaha!! Speaking of which, the seatbelt reminder has to go!!! WTH Yamaha???! The rubber adjuster is also a pain. both of us were getting rashes on our shoulders/neck from the belt. So much so my passenger had to ride without the belt the last half of our trip. My first thought was to just remove the whole thing and just let the belt come out of the retractor. A few hours into the ride I developed a rolling squeak. Gets louder the faster you go. Dusty drive train?? I also got a front suspension squeak. up and down it would squeak. Props for the power steering :) and cupholders. On going down a slight grade, maintaining speed would cause the engine to surge and the engine brake clutch would clatter. I am adding switches to the dash. Why did Yamaha make the holes side ways?? The switches are printed upright. Another thing, the brakes are weak. I don't know if they needed bedded but I needed to pushhard on the pedal to stop with some speed. Overall, it is visually impressive looking, mechanical parts look beefy. Ride quality, leg room, fit and finish isn't any better than my 07 Rhino. I think I was expecting a little bit more for $22,000. I would give it a 7 out of 10.
Sounds like you should have done a some observations at the dealer before you made the purchase.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,351 Posts
Sounds like you should have done a some observations at the dealer before you made the purchase.
:ROFLMAO: Agreed, If I was that unhappy with something that I bought I would be looking for someone to kick me in the A$$ for having no idea what I bought.

Reactions: Desertdweller67

·
Registered
362 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying the new machine.
As negative as your review is, I can't really argue with most of the cons you've found😂. That being said, I think this machines pro's far outweigh its cons.

"I would start but as soon as you touched the accelerator it would stall."
Sounds like you put diesel in the tank, I'd get it pumped. Better quality spark plugs also help

"Second was the lack of any colored labels on the shifter, lights & 4x4 knob."
I agree, I ran into this hunting in early morning's before the sun rose... low hanging fruit for Yamaha to improve

"Not impressed with the cheezy plastics. Center console lid, rear seat belt cover(doesn't stay latched), glove box."
I've never had a latching issue unless I've overfilled them, but can't argue quality is underwhelming and could probably be increased by better design without even increasing production cost.

"The rear seat sliders are very awkward to use, once unlatched the seat is very loose and doesn't slide easily."
There's a trick to this, hold the backrest slightly up and tilted forwarded and it glides right along. It's not a perfect system but I think it's good and robust and will stand the test of time.

"The foot space up front is seriously lacking. I don't know why Yamaha put that angled foot rest in there but to me it takes up space and is awkward to rest your foot on."
It's not the most spacious machine on the market, that's never been a secret. No sympathy for you there if you didn't test your size 12's in there before hand. Angled foot rest is actually designed for you to brace yourself in rough terrain if I'm not mistaken.

"my center console is scratched to heck from the seatbelts."
After you get the diesel pumped and start riding this thing, you'll have so many scratches you won't be worried about a minor scuff next to your hip.

"The rubber adjuster is also a pain. both of us were getting rashes on our shoulders/neck from the belt. So much so my passenger had to ride without the belt the last half of our trip."
Agreed, I've had passengers complain about the same thing and have to put a hoodie or something in there as padding

" I developed a rolling squeak. Gets louder the faster you go. Dusty drive train?"
This was your wife telling you to stop complaining, not the machine

"On going down a slight grade, maintaining speed would cause the engine to surge and the engine brake clutch would clatter."
True, the engine brake cuts out in bad spots, seems to be speed or lack of resistance on the wheels related... which is not ideal, very steep=more speed, more speed= engine brake cutting out on very steep hill...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never said I was unhappy, just observations. I could look at it at the dealer but no test drives allowed. Salesman had to drive & took me around the parking lot. I compared Honda, Kawasaki, Can am and Polaris. I picked this one because it fit my needs the best and had the best reviews & not many negative comments vs the others. I do plan on keeping it forever. Not selling my Rhino either. :) My regular ride is an Outlander 400. I'm getting too old to be beat up riding that anymore.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,351 Posts
Never said I was unhappy, just observations. I could look at it at the dealer but no test drives allowed. Salesman had to drive & took me around the parking lot. I compared Honda, Kawasaki, Can am and Polaris. I picked this one because it fit my needs the best and had the best reviews & not many negative comments vs the others. I do plan on keeping it forever. Not selling my Rhino either. :) My regular ride is an Outlander 400. I'm getting too old to be beat up riding that anymore.
Was this an Arizona dealer? I'm sure others would like to know the name so they can make sure not to go there. Never heard of ANY vehicle dealer that would not allow a test drive. The second he told me that I would have turned around and walked away saying nothing, got in my car and left..

Reactions: TN_Max

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
209 Posts
Believe it or not, my X2 XT-R was the first "new" vehicle I've ever purchased. The reason I've never bought a new vehicle before is because I've seen all the faulty/defective/broken stuff that usually comes with a new vehicle. However, for many reasons I decided to bite the bullet and just purchase new...and I EXPECTED a lot of bullcrap stuff to be wrong.

1. Steering pulls to the right: LONG story short...it's the GBC Dirt Commanders. Buy a different set of tires and it goes down the road perfectly straight now. This has got to be a design flaw and so many complaints you would think someone would do something. I now have a new set of spare GBC Dirt Commanders sitting in my garage that I will likely never use.

2. TERRIBLE squeak in the back when hitting any bump at all. Remove your sway bar mount, and insert a washer or grind down the sway bar bushing then add silicone grease. They are too tight, and again, I'm not the only one with that complaint.

3. Missing bolts, stripped bolts, missing grommets, misaligned panels, etc. Just plan on spending a day inspecting, tightening, straightening, running to the parts store, and cussing.

4. The throttle going down a hill. Yup. Same here. Going to buy the Weller chip eventually. Shouldn't have to do this on a brand new machine.

5. Noises?...Lol. I wear earplugs. I don't know how some people can detect a bad bearing amongst all the other noises these things make!

That said...I love my Wolverine. And I had an 06 Rhino 660 that I really liked also and this machine is miles and years ahead of it. Generally speaking, I hate the way people assemble things that are not their own. I hate to say that, but it's true. I was a mechanic for years and after seeing how "most" mechanics treat customers cars, I will never pay someone to work on my stuff ever. I'll just do it myself. When I get to where I can't do it myself I'm not sure what I'll do. That day hasn't come yet, and I'm old!

The dealership that I bought my machine from asked me to bring it in for the first service and let them do it. I told them I was extremely picky about people working on my stuff and that I'd have to see some of their work first before I decided. Before picking it up after the purchase they said they would "detail" the machine. When I picked it up I actually had to ask if the detail job had been done. I think a first grader did it. I could tell they spent all of about 5 minutes on it...or less. They won't be working on my machine if they can't even wash it correctly. As always, if you want something done/assembled correctly...do it yourself. Sucks but that is life.

Ok, rant mode off. Felt good though!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think you nailed a lot of the cons in this thread. Everything seems to be a design compromise on these machines. Left leg fatigue is an issue for sure. My left knee screams after an hour or 2 of riding. If you had earlier year pedals you would forget about the left leg because your right calf would be cramping up instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should say I looked at one back in January and was fully aware of the plastics and other of my nit picky things. It was during my ride that I noticed the nearly non existent brakes, clunky downhill engine brake, not running until warmed up, leg fatigue(only after a few hours of riding) and the squeaks. The back seat is kinda fun. Reminds me of a kiddie roller coaster car. :) I'm sure the lawyers have a lot to do with the many seatbelt issues, foot rest and those side panels to keep your arms in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I experienced the engine sputter several times. I ended up talking to my dealer about it but didn't get a solid answer as to why. I have found that if I allow the machine significant time to warm up I don't have any problems with the sputter. I have had none of the other problems you pointed out except that the foot rest placement is awkward. I'm short though so it doesn't really bother me. It's an X2 so I cant address the other issues you mentioned. Overall I REALLY like my "Woof" and am continually impressed with the efforts they made to seal the cab area from dust. It's a very capable machine and even though it isn't in the "Big 1000" class I have never felt that it lacks ability for the intended use.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I experienced the engine sputter several times. I ended up talking to my dealer about it but didn't get a solid answer as to why. I have found that if I allow the machine significant time to warm up I don't have any problems with the sputter.
You are aware that is normal for the engine, until the blue temperature light goes out, the engine will sputter. Just like it does if the diff lock is not engaged all the way.

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are aware that is normal for the engine, until the blue temperature light goes out, the engine will sputter. Just like it does if the diff lock is not engaged all the way.
Yes, The blue light goes out long before full warm up for me. Warm up is usually about 5 minutes or more. I usually let it warm up while getting stuff together for a ride. I feel that long warmup time for these engines are a good practice anyway.

·
Registered
2021 X4
213 Posts
I've taken mine back to the dealer for the rolling squeak and they couldn't find anything, im getting ready to take it back again! You literally nailed all of mine and my wife's complaints too, I am honestly not overly impressed with my purchase, also lack of power when needed is another big one of mine on top of the seat belts and uncomfortable long rides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts