Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of you wanting a 62" compliant RMAX, it's very easy to achieve by using any combination of these at your disposal:

-tender springs
-increased spring preload
-6+1 offset rims (Polaris RZR 1000 or aftermarket)
-9-9.5" tires

Thanks to Scott from Mystic Hills Hideaway for all the info and testing. 6+1 offset rims is a no brainer for me.

Finally, this only works for those states where width is measure by the tires and not the body.

UPDATE:

PSA. I'd like to slam dunk the misinformation on the RMAX4's overall width being from body work or fender flares. Stance is 64" (measured out the outside rim). Overall width is 66". If the tires are the widest point as seen in the picture, then your extra 2" is coming from the 1" tire bulge on each side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is SD 62 inches? We try to get out to a friends cabin near Rochford every year. Never an issue with my 17 Rspec.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This will only do any good if your state measures off the tires. If the go by specs or widest point your just hurting the handling.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is SD 62 inches? We try to get out to a friends cabin near Rochford every year. Never an issue with my 17 Rspec.
Some trails are 62" and others aren't restricted at all. I drive a lot of the 62" ones.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will only do any good if your state measures off the tires. If the go by specs or widest point your just hurting the handling.
Correct, I updated the OP. The Forrest Service here is unofficially giving 2" and hopefully they'll update the rule to 64" since many manufacturers are going to 64". I may just go to 63" and take my chances.

·
Registered
2021 RMax4, Poly Windshield
47 Posts
How do they measure the wheel offsets, the 6+1?

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't quite understand your question. You mean the Forest Service?
just in general. where/how do you come up with the 6+1 figures for the wheel offsets. I understand back spacing, but I dont know know how they figure the Offset.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just in general. where/how do you come up with the 6+1 figures for the wheel offsets. I understand back spacing, but I dont know know how they figure the Offset.
If it's not advertised on a vehicle\rims specs and they offer backspacing in mm, I'll use this calculator

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It's how all the UTV wheels I've seen are listed. I would much prefer just listing back spacing myself, too. Basically first number is a rough estimate of the back spacing and if you add the second number to it you have the wheel width.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it's not advertised on a vehicle\rims specs and they offer backspacing in mm, I'll use this calculator

It's how all the UTV wheels I've seen are listed. I would much prefer just listing back spacing myself, too. Basically first number is a rough estimate of the back spacing and if you add the second number to it you have the wheel width.
Thank you. I did some digging around figured it out. I used to drive race cars and we would just measure the back space and call that the offset. ie: 3" or 4" offset.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP updated with pictures proving that 66" overall width DOES NOT come from body work or fender flares.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you end up getting your Rmax down to 62"? I also live in the black hills and am nervous about how the FS will react to the Rmax on the 62" trails.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you end up getting your Rmax down to 62"? I also live in the black hills and am nervous about how the FS will react to the Rmax on the 62" trails.
Hey Kasey. I'm not going to bother messing with my setup until they change the regulations. I'm hoping that there will be some changes coming soon (meaning we'll only have to stay off the 62" trails for one season). Do not go on the 62" trails as they will enforce the restriction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts