Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Was able to finally get out and put some miles on the X2. I've tried out the 4wd before at slow speeds or when needed momentarily but hadn't really had a chance to try it out in some serious stuff before. I found a trail a few miles long that followed the shore of a river and in some places the dirt got pretty soft so I just left it in 4wd pretty much the whole time. The speeds ranged from 0 to 30 or a little more in some places and I noticed that starting off or accelerating there was a vibration that seemed just a little bit more than normal to me. I stopped and looked multiple times in at the front driveshaft u-joint (all I could really see) just to make sure it was still connected straight it was kind of that bad. Almost felt like driveshaft runout or a U-joint coming loose or not installed correctly. More of a big shudder than anything then it would smooth out (or should I say...less vibration-y) as I eased off the gas or coasted. Worse at some speeds...almost harmonic.
My Rhino did this but not as bad. I could especially feel it in the steering and it is felt more than heard.
Those of you who have X2's, do your machines vibrate like that in 4wd? If it's normal I'm fine with it, but I just don't want it to leave me stranded somewere.
Thanks!
Randy

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same model machine as you do and noticed the vibration while using 4wd a lot last weekend riding some muddy trails. Was inconsistent when it occurred but I could feel it in the steering wheel and pedals. Here is a thread where others have experienced it as well.

4wd Vibration

·
Registered
538 Posts
I also have the same buggy and notice a very slight vibration when cruising graded fire roads. It's only very slight, but enough to get my attention. I'm going to just let it be until I break down about 15 miles from camp in the afternoon in bear/cougar country. LOL. I think it's normal driveline slop to be honest. Someone else posted a similar post on one of the FB wolverine groups with similar responses.

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I think I need to drive another one just to kind of see how my vibration compares. It's way worse than the Rhino was...this almost feels like a u-joint is not centered when starting off under acceleration. Some speeds are worse than others fairly consistently. Once up to speed, and I let off on the gas to where I'm maintaining or coasting, it's not as noticable but still there.
Any chance my 2" lift in the front could be causing the axles to bind up under acceleration in the front?...if so, I may take the lift off and try it?

·
Registered
2021 Wolverine X2 SE
25 Posts
Mine does it too, right from new. Rmax's are also doing it, my dealer is going to check it out next time it's in the shop. I also have a clanking noise that I can't figure out.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Stock tires/sizes?
My 19' X2 has aftermarket 28s on 14" wheels and a good front alignment that I fixed as the factory alignment was jacked up.

It drove straight but I was getting off tire wear after going bigger.
That's when I decided to check the front alignment.
I have a thread on here also with pics.

Reactions: Jimbo

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I’ve never noticed a vibration in 4wd. I have a 2” lift, no swaybars, and 27” tires. I use 4wd a lot. Once I need 4wd I don’t go to 2wd unless I hit blacktop or stop to shift to high range. In 3200 miles I would guess 25-30% of that is in 4wd.

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,490 Posts
I’ve never noticed a vibration in 4wd. I have a 2” lift, no swaybars, and 27” tires. I use 4wd a lot. Once I need 4wd I don’t go to 2wd unless I hit blacktop or stop to shift to high range. In 3200 miles I would guess 25-30% of that is in 4wd.
True from what I have read. Its a new issue on new machines for whatever reason its not been an issue all the way back to the Gen 1.

I wouldn't say its normal on a brand new machine with nothing worn out. No justification for it nor to endure it either. I can go in an out of 4WD and on the fly without a shudder etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks...I think I need to drive another one just to kind of see how my vibration compares. It's way worse than the Rhino was...this almost feels like a u-joint is not centered when starting off under acceleration. Some speeds are worse than others fairly consistently. Once up to speed, and I let off on the gas to where I'm maintaining or coasting, it's not as noticable but still there.
Any chance my 2" lift in the front could be causing the axles to bind up under acceleration in the front?...if so, I may take the lift off and try it?
I had a lift in my rhino and that’s what cause my problem s it’s a easy fix I would pull ur lift and try it You will know right away mine stopped that when I realized lol maybe I don’t need a lift that bad right now lol. Good brother

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks for all the replies. Just to eliminate the 2" front lift from the equation, I went out, drove it in 4wd...confirmed that the vibration is still there (duh), then went home, removed the 2" front lift, and drove it again. Vibration is identical. So...it's not the lift. The tires that I have are stock sized Interco Snipers on the stock rims....NO VIBRATION in 2wd.

It is definitely 4wd related, and really only when accelerating and decelerating. It's fairly smooth once just maintaining. I'll call the dealer and see what they have to say. Curiously...it's not as bad today as I remember it being the other day in the dirt. (Just drove on pavement today).

I am starting another thread on the LIFT as I got thinking about that...Posted in the suspension section...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts