Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanting to get an LED Light Bar and mount it above the windshield on the roof. Has anyone tried the light bars with the newer 3D or 5D lens? Was wondering if you can actually tell much difference?

Would rather go with a 17" light bar but the curved light bars seem to start with the 19" long ones. Do the curved light bars give enough more side light that you are better off going with a curved one? Most likely going with a Combo and leaning toward the single row to reduce the height slightly.

I know the name brands are better because you know what your getting and most reports say they are 5-10% brighter, but due to cost savings I'll be going with the cheaper China made Ebay ones probably. I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wanting to get an LED Light Bar and mount it above the windshield on the roof. Has anyone tried the light bars with the newer 3D or 5D lens? Was wondering if you can actually tell much difference?

Would rather go with a 17" light bar but the curved light bars seem to start with the 19" long ones. Do the curved light bars give enough more side light that you are better off going with a curved one? Mostly likely going with a Combo and leaning toward the single row to reduce the height slightly.

I know the name brands are better because you know what your getting and most reports say they are 5-10% brighter, but due to cost savings I'll be going with the cheaper China made Ebay ones probably. I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
I am far from being super knowledgeable about light bars. Based on biker-ur2b12 posts, I mounted a 20" light bar on my Wolverine. While researching different lights, brands, and costs what I did discover is that the Chinese eBay lights are probably just as bright or even brighter in certain cases. The problem is that the housings are not always waterproof and the finish on some is prone to peeling off over time. I would check out warranties on any light bar I purchased to make sure that is covered. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts

Would rather go with a 17" light bar but the curved light bars seem to start with the 19" long ones. Do the curved light bars give enough more side light that you are better off going with a curved one? Mostly likely going with a Combo and leaning toward the single row to reduce the height slightly.

I have never used the 3D or 5D bars, and know nothing about them. I have only used straight bars, and only cheapo chinese ones, and had great success. Just read reviews on the bar you like(I bought my most recent one off amazon) and see what the typical DOA type issues are. With mine, the only issue reported by others was moisture getting in the lens. So I just made sure the lens was sealed before installation and all has been good.

As for curved vs straight, I think it may be a user preference, and application specific. Take a look at these pictures of curved vs straight. Personally, for the type of riding I do, I prefer the long straight throw of the straight, because it doesn't blind you by lighting up only the ground right in front of you. I have a small light bar on the front of my machine, and it lights up everything on both sides of the trail VERY well. It also has spot lenses in the center which light up the trail at long distances. IMO, straight is the way to go, but that's just me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have changed out the straight LED bars and now run curved on all my rescue vehicles. They light the front and sides much better than straight. I just bought two more curved for the SXS.
Best Regards,
RangerRick
North Idaho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.