Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, these are an amazing riding trail tire. They're almost the perfect sport utility all around tire as their weight and traction make these things feel as though you're stuck on a "gluey rail." They are always clinging and ride very smooth, especially compared to stock. They do weigh a ton, and if you're looking for a madmax sporty tire, this probably isn't it given how they do take more power to turn and have so much traction they almost keep you planted.
But if you're an X4 driver that's just looking for pure traction and tire performance and aren't too worried about the loss of power, this tire is perfect.

M1 Evil 8ply (1”tread)
27x9R-12
27x11R-12

Stock v.s M1 Evil's
(Actual tire height and weight w/stock rims):
Rear: 24.5" 34.4lbs VS 26", 53.4lbs!
Front: 25" 30lbs VS 26" 44.8lbs
(27" M1 Evil's do run almost exactly at 26" tall at 13.5psi.)

Benefits
  • Way smoother ride than stock(say 30% improvement if I had to put a number on it). The large lugs almost act as little suspension nuggets when descending or crawling over sharp rock. On the exact same trails, stock tires would basically slip down and slam off of small rocks and ledges. These M1 Evil lugs just don't let go, they hold and squish onto these same rocks until the tire is completely down and able to roll off, they don't let the machine drop and slip.
  • Ridiculous climbing traction inspires calm and confidence. My first test ride on them I climbed a hill that I knew stocks would do, but would involve high throttle and continuous momentum, so I typically avoided that hill. With these, I crawled up that same hill. Makes for a far more enjoyable experience knowing the ease the machine will take you through challenging terrain.
  • Side-hilling drastically improved from traction and from the added tire weight lowering the centre of gravity. This surprised me, even though I'm sitting an inch higher than stock, it still feels as if the machine is far more planted with a lower centre of gravity. I have a climb that is at a bit of an angle, you have to push up onto the side hill so the top roll bar clears underneath a tree. With stock tires, it was quite sketchy and involved momentum and throttle to quickly get up the side hill to clear the tree, while feeling pretty tipsy at the highest point. It may's well be a flat paved road now with the new tires. 4-low and I can just crawl up and higher than I could before, no fear of tipping.
  • Weight. A double edged sword, as mentioned has made the machine far more stable, and appears to have lowered the centre of gravity.
Cons
  • Weight. These take a lot of power to move. That being said, I will actually use low for slow riding now(<30km/h), rather than being a sensitive, rough torque monster gear that I only used for steep climbs before. Low gear also seems to settle out easier now with the load, so it's not screaming at you.
When I had the jack out I also backed my front compression off to the softest setting. This along with the tires and likely the suspension finally breaking in(25hrs), I must say, it rides fine now. It's no desert racer, but my original impression of the X4 riding like a golf cart is thankfully gone.

IMG_1737.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1732.jpg
IMG_1741.jpg
IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dan,

What dealer did you purchase your tires from? That's exactly the tire I need on my 2020 X2

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RPM Motors in Crowsnest Pass, he can almost always match online prices, includes mounting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
glad to hear the report. i have the 28" m1 evils. so far i like them.

Reactions: Dan

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dan, i have not changed the clutch weights. Im not sure i am going to yet. I will probably install the PV3 to improve the power and I will see if im happy with just that. Low gear seems like it has all the torque you need. it tops out at 56 MPH now. I am sure it would help add some snap into it but not sure if its really worth the trouble of what it takes to install them. and if your going through that much work just put in the HW whole kit. I never drove mine with the stock 27" tires so i don't know what i am missing.

Reactions: Dan and Paul65

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dan, i have not changed the clutch weights. Im not sure i am going to yet. I will probably install the PV3 to improve the power and I will see if im happy with just that. Low gear seems like it has all the torque you need. it tops out at 56 MPH now. I am sure it would help add some snap into it but not sure if its really worth the trouble of what it takes to install them. and if your going through that much work just put in the HW whole kit. I never drove mine with the stock 27" tires so i don't know what i am missing.
I was thinking the exact same thing actually about doing the PV3 instead. Lots of guys seem happy with the HW setup but there are a couple cases where the belt drifts too low or too high in the sheave and causes damage. I like running things the way Yamaha has it configured, safe buffer zone to reduce risk of damage.
I also just did the throttle cable adjustment and what a pleasant little power surprise that was. It does give you a substantial amount of torque and power much sooner, giving the impression the machine is more powerful.

The power loss from the tire weight is noticeable, but given how Low gear just screamed with the flimsy stocks but rides nicely now, I feel like the machine and gearing was likely designed to be operated with heavier tires. Those stock bighorns were just so you could roll it onto a trailer.
Kind of like you could get more power from your truck if you put little car tires on it, but that doesn't mean it's worth it or a good way to get power improvements.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
My buddy has been trying to get me to try the Evils for almost a year now. He runs them on his Talon.
I'm good with my HTR's and if I do anything, I'll go to a lighter tire. At 50 lbs each wheel, that's a lot of unsprung weight, not so friendly on the wet clutch plus a performance hit.

Switching roller weights was a great improvement, even with a stock clutch.
The lighter weights put the belt squeeze force a little closer to the motors powerband. Less jerky on take off and a more controllable throttle in tight/technical.
Lighter weights also allow faster backshifting. This made trail running a lot more fun as you don't need to brake as much and can control the cars speed with just the skinny pedal.
I was able to rip my trail at my normal speed with literally half as much braking to scrub speed to make the turns. I can't tell you how much fun that was.

Anyway, it might be something to consider when you do your 1600 mile CVT service as the system needs cleaned, inspected and greased anyway.
I used HV Weights for their added benefits and improvements over OEM's.

High Velocity Roller Weights Review
https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/268-x2-x4-cvt-sheaves-wet-clutch/31106-high-velocity-roller-weights-review.html

Reactions: Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
If my x4 has anyone engine breaking in it I am going to be annoyed. I thing the engine breaking stops as strong as the brakes does. It way over aggressive in my opinion. Even in high gear. I understand that in low and in 4 wd but in high I wish it was a lot less aggressive

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Go to a heavier weight for less engine braking.
It's all about tuning your car to your terrain and riding style.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
How many miles do you have on the car?
A lot changes as break-in and wear settle in too.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Don't the X4's come with 18's?
I know my X2 had 22's

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skelley, That is a good point about first service, once you're in there anyway maybe consider it then.

I was originally shopping based on tire weight but it really limits the selection, and the weight differences in aftermarket tires all look menial. The big jump seems to be going from stocks to aftermarkets... did you have something in mind that are marketed as super light weight? I noticed the Dirt Commander are lighter(probably no coincidence why they're on XTR's) but then I've seen people review them as somewhat squirrly. I guess the other option would be reducing size from 29's to 27's if someone was on a mission to reduce weight.

Freshly comparing mine to stocks, and given that these machines are torque monsters regardless, I would say the benefits of a quality tire far outweigh the power loss, and I don't think going slightly lighter than mine(which is what most aftermarkets are), would yield much more power.

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many miles do you have on the car?
A lot changes as break-in and wear settle in too.
I'm at 430km... and agreed. Mines no Cadillac now, but compared to stock tires, both Sway bars connected, suspension not set in the softest preload, and suspension breaking in, it does ride a lot more acceptably now compared to the first ride on the trails... when I thought I was riding a brick.
Speaking of which, I was going to do some rear sway bar disconnected testing today...

What's your question, "Don't X4's come with 18's" of what?

·
Registered
110 Posts
i think he is referring to roller weights. Im not sure.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I have run 2 different wheel & tire setups.
One set weighed 46 lbs each and current setup is 50 each wheel/tire. I actually noticed a big difference in those few pounds.
The X machines are freakin torque monsters IMHO and I agree about tire quality. I took the hit on extra weight for the performance & ride quality like you mention and it was worth it to be honest.
I'm thinking about going skinnier to shed some pounds and going back to a light beadlock.
It's like I'm tweaking my wheel/tire combo to get me to my happy spot.....lol

When you get close to doing your CVT service, it's definitely something to consider & research.
The X2's are over-clutched IMHO and that's why the throttle is so touchy, especially when new.
Mine came with 22g and they say for more power to go with 18g and 20g for less RPM's and cruising.
I've tried both. I don't think the RPM's were that far apart, but I liked the 18's overall.

The X4's have different stock clutch weights than the X2's as it's slightly heavier and more occupants.
So they need to take that into consideration also.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
What's your question, "Don't X4's come with 18's" of what?
Primary movable sheave roller weights

Edit: Sorry for getting off tires and going into clutching. Maybe we should talk CVT in another thread....lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dan,

In regards to your AMS M1 Evil tires (27x9-12) What is the actual mounted height of them? 28"?

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Greg, they only measure 26.5" high when mounted on the machine with 13.5psi in them. They've added about ½-¾" of ground clearance vs stock tires.

However, they have grown ½" in the couple weeks since they were first mounted(when they only measured 26"). I was actually thinking they would expand a bit given how thick the rubber is and assuming they had developed a bit of memory obviously being deflated in a warehouse.

I would bet a dollar(CND) that if I let them sit at max psi for a bit, they'd end up pretty close to 27" and stay there.

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X4
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Snow Performance
The X4 is an absolute tank in the snow with these tires. With a couple inches, it will go literally anywhere. Once we hit about 8-12", we thought we were done, but diff lock and it kept climbing, yes climbing. We chose to stop because the rocks and ruts underneath were too large to gauge and we didn't feel like breaking anything.
This is my first sxs, if somebody stood at the top of the snowed in trail and said a sXs could make it up here, I wouldn't have believed them.

Worth noting; I'm riding with both swaybars disconnected now with no ill effects on sway/stability as these tires are so stable and traction planted. Have no issues doing donuts, steering with the throttle, or any of that. The disconnected swaybars play a large factor with the snow traction, allowing each heavy tire to articulate and drop down and rip into the snow. Along with added traction/articulation is the obvious benefit of the machine riding very smooth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts