Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 wolverine out riding a couple weeks ago. Came across a mud hole that was deeper than anticipated and water was roughly seat deep. Air box and air filter had water in them. Cleaned the filter and airbox out and continued to ride the rest of the day. I noticed the next day it seems to have a 22mph limiter now. I've drained the gas tank, unplugged sensors, checked the clutches etc. Swapped the ECU with a viking just try try but didn't work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What stops it at 22? RPM, power? Clean out the CVT. Pull and clean and regrease the the clutches.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I agree on checking both things suggested so far, first, but it sounds like you have already. If it cuts out like a rev limiter then I would private message Mac and ChadM720 and see if one of them responds. They both have had the same problem with theirs at the same speed. Macs was only in high range that it occurs and if he stops and backs up and shifts again it resolves it. Chad bought his used with the problem. Not sure if they have found the solution but worth a shot!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I will add is the drivers side axle is out at the moment. Just got the new one today so not sure if that would cause it or not?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
To me it sounds like it's reving out correctly just doesn't go over 22mph
If that’s the case and it’s not sputtering like it’s cutting the power then I’d say you have contamination in you sheaves and they are not cycling through the range. Your only getting to 22 mph on RPMs? Possibly when it’s hits the highest RPM it’s governed and then the rev limiter is at play?
Being that you were in a mud hole deep enough to take on water in the engine air intake it would make the most sense. The CVT intake is only slightly higher than the seat and the CVT exhaust is maybe even lower.
I would go straight to servicing both sheaves as JRA suggested!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If that’s the case and it’s not sputtering like it’s cutting the power then I’d say you have contamination in you sheaves and they are not cycling through the range. Your only getting to 22 mph on RPMs? Possibly when it’s hits the highest RPM it’s governed and then the rev limiter is at play?
Being that you were in a mud hole deep enough to take on water in the engine air intake it would make the most sense. The CVT intake is only slightly higher than the seat and the CVT exhaust is maybe even lower.
I would go straight to servicing both sheaves as JRA suggested!
Took your advice last night and checked the CVT again. With the cover offer and sitting on jack stands I could see it moving in and out but wasnt moving much. Attempted to take it off and after a few min of working it was able to get it off and see all the hard packed dirt inside. Cleaned it all out and greased the clutches. Just need to re-assemble and test it today after work.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,632 Posts
How did the crud get in when the intake to the CVT is so high. You'd have water in your engine likely as well if compromised long enough.
I am just curious. I do my best to stay out of the deep stuff but bad luck can happen on an unknown wet crossing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Took your advice last night and checked the CVT again. With the cover offer and sitting on jack stands I could see it moving in and out but wasnt moving much. Attempted to take it off and after a few min of working it was able to get it off and see all the hard packed dirt inside. Cleaned it all out and greased the clutches. Just need to re-assemble and test it today after work.
Possibly its not your first trip servicing the sheaves, but if it is, I’d recommend going to the Hunterworks website, and/or JBS website where you can find videos on proper greasing and some of the pitfalls people run into on reassembly. It may save you some trouble. Bear in mind the Hunterworks site won’t show using the grease in the roller tracts since the video is on installing their aftermarket sheave.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did the crud get in when the intake to the CVT is so high. You'd have water in your engine likely as well if compromised long enough.
I am just curious. I do my best to stay out of the deep stuff but bad luck can happen on an unknown wet crossing.
Not really sure honestly. This happened about 20min into our ride and we rode the rest of the day with no problems other than a broken axle.

Possibly its not your first trip servicing the sheaves, but if it is, I’d recommend going to the Hunterworks website, and/or JBS website where you can find videos on proper greasing and some of the pitfalls people run into on reassembly. It may save you some trouble. Bear in mind the Hunterworks site won’t show using the grease in the roller tracts since the video is on installing their aftermarket sheave.
Unfortunately not. Well I say that, It will be the first on the Wolverine. We had a similar issue on a Yamaha Viking last year. The Viking was acting differently tho, it was all gas no go. Pulled the CVT and it was packed with mud.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you’ve done a Viking then it’s the same thing! Good luck. Sounds like you’ll be up and running soon!
Id guess that while everything was warm and fluid that it was functioning until you parked it. Then the mud inside setup and it wouldn’t cycle up much after that!

Reactions: jimclemjr

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yep, dirty water becomes mud and mud becomes dirtpack.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Cvt exhaust is much lower than the air intake and he had water in the air box.

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,632 Posts
Ah right, that very very deep then. I was told but never seen it that the air intake in behind or hidden my the battery. I haven't removed it to see.

Where ever he went through would not constitute a real trail at that depth. I'd say he's lucky the engine is ok as its running after that and the oily filter may have prevent water from getting in. Just speculating.

I turn around if I see something too excessive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Alright got the cvt replaced and now it doesn't go in gear. It's like the engine is idled too high. I bought a new one thinking the old one was toast and still the same thing. I'm kinda leaning towards the wet clutches. So going to replace those now

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bought a new one, what?
If it’s idling high, then are the sheaves turning at idle on there own?
Is it grinding when you try to put it in gear?
How many miles on it and what size tires?
Are you testing in neutral with the cover off to visually see if things are working properly after installation of the sheaves and belt?
Have you disassembled anything else in the process that would change the shifter linkage or have the throttle cable in a position where it’s pulling abnormally and revving it up?
I just don’t see the wet clutch being related to going in and out of gear at all!

Reactions: Jraoffroad
1 - 20 of 31 Posts