Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today out hunting my son and I came up to a long pretty nasty steep hill about 20 miles into our ride, I stopped and put the wolverine in 4 wheel drive, it was still in high gear, I planned on hitting this thing with some speed as it was probably a 1/4 mile long and probably gained 1k ft in elevation gain, so as I decide to go for it I floor the wolverine and it let's out this loud shriek that I've never heard before, the wolverine has right at 1000 miles on it so i wouldn't think the clutch would be having problems but who knows? Not sure what else this could be?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Did it lurch when it made the noise?
Was it a very short shriek or long and ongoing?
When you stopped were you traveling pretty fast and did you stop hard and fast?
Any snow conditions on the drive?
Did you continue driving it? And if so did it ever make the noise again?

Reactions: Glock10mm

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just loud shriek about 3 seconds, spun all 4 and took off, never did it again, wet/mud/light snow.

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I did stop fast at the bottom of the hill, then floored it when I took off.

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also blew through some shallow creek crossings at about 25 mph, chasing deer lol.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Yes I did stop fast at the bottom of the hill, then floored it when I took off.
If it also lurched and was a very short shriek then I’d guess that upon the hard fast stop that the sheaves hadn’t got a chance to reset and the belt was stuck down in the secondary. After the stop when the primary releases, it leaves the belt slack and you get the lurch and the shriek as it again grabs. It shouldn’t really happen however at that mileage but can be possible, say skidding to a stop or like me once, going off the road Into 18” of snow at high speed. The wheels stop turning and the CVT is still in high gear.

In this case I’m leaning toward moisture inside the CVT after the high speed creek crossings. May have even been a combination of both scenarios. Mild slack in the belt and maybe a bit damp too.

Ive heard of it happing just from condensation forming inside there, in humid environments. It also has happened from light powdery snow being ingested through the intake on the Rmax.

Reactions: Glock10mm

·
Registered
71 Posts
My grizzly does that when I'm pushing snow with it. I suddenly stop against a snow pile, switch direction, and go again, it sometimes does it. I've always thought it was moisture from the snow being sucked into intake.

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this damaging to the machine and is there anything that can be done, it wasn't a sound I want to hear 20 miles in the woods with my young kid with me in the middle of a snowstorm lol

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
My grizzly does that when I'm pushing snow with it. I suddenly stop against a snow pile, switch direction, and go again, it sometimes does it. I've always thought it was moisture from the snow being sucked into intake.
I’ll bet the Cvt is slightly cycled up out of the lowest ratio when you come to a sudden stop. When you shift to backup it leaves slack in the belt.
Easing out of the throttle prior to the sudden stop should prevent it by letting the CVT cycle back to the lowest ratio before stopping.
If you know you’ve set yourself up for it, just put it in neutral, spin the sheaves to reset them, then put it back in gear after they’ve stopped. Then it won’t jerk and bark.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you know you’ve set yourself up for it, just put it in neutral, spin the sheaves to reset them, then put it back in gear after they’ve stopped. Then it won’t jerk and bark.
^^^^^^^^^
Budro nailed it.

I’m greaseless on my primary and spent a lot of time on this. I ended up just not worrying about it. I’m at 3750 miles and my last CVT service was at 2800. It belt barks once or twice per ride. Ehhh… it’s the new normal. Doesn’t hurt a thing.

Not to say it’s ok to skip CVT service. Not saying that. I’m saying belt bark as described above is not a big deal.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
2021 X4 2021 Kodiak 700
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm at 1075 miles, when should the CVT be serviced? Im getting ready to take it in for its second oil change soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts