Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have a 2021 X4 - there is a knocking/clanking noise - imagine hitting a screwdriver shaft against something - there is no pattern to the noise besides being constant - but not in any sort of rhythm. It comes and goes, but mostly there, it does it on acceleration, climbing, cruising on even ground, braking - there is nothing that duplicates it. The sound isn't cyclical, as in something spinning is loose, so tap tap tap every rotation or similar. I took it to Yamaha, they said it was something inside the tranny and that is normal, but it doesn't feel/sound normal - I took it apart (panels etc, not the tranny or anything) to see if I an see anything - nope, all looked solid to me. It will go minutes without a noise and them it starts - anyone have anything similar on these 2021 Wolverines?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My vote is the drive train backlash.
Especially noticeable going down hill in rough terrain when the drive train continuously gets loaded and unloaded. Going uphill it’s always under load and you rarely hear it.
Completely normal. All these UTVs regardless of make have there own specific clunks!

Reactions: movin2stereo

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
does it do it sitting still as accelerating but not moving? Does it do it in both high and Low range? Does it do it in 4wd as well 4 diff lock? Put it up on a Jack and have someone accelerate it and see if you can locate the source. If in doubt put a long conduit to your hear like a stethoscope to isolate source. If it goes away while on jacks look for something in suspension that may be dangling or .......???/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, so it does it under load an not, If I blip the throttle, it makes a different linkage noise, separate from this noise. The loaded and unloaded is what the dealer said, but I tell you this isn't a noise I am comfortable with, and I have had bikes, jeeps, quads etc all my life, you name it - I had it and rebuilt it most likely -
It doesn't do it sitting and idling, only moving, I does it in 2wd and 4H, I didn't try to see if in 4L, but will do - will do the jack thing and let you know what I find -

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would take it to another dealership while it is still under warranty and get a second opinion. Maybe even ask for a Yamaha rep to inspect it if they don’t come up with anything either. No one maybe able to get to the bottom of it unless they take it apart. Doesn’t sound normal to me.

·
Registered
2021 X4 -2021 Kodiak 700- and 2 2021 PW50's
391 Posts
Mine makes all sorts of weird noises, I have 53 miles on mine and plan on bringing it all up at the first service.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Also look for something bouncing off exhaust pipe. That can make a dinging sound, maybe an exhaust spring loose??

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
At this point, you're ruling out possible causes and I don't remember reading if you had narrowed it down to the front, rear, or middle of the machine. I would check these things closely in addition to the ones already mentioned: remove trailer ball from receiver (mine rattles so I wedged a wooden popsicle stick in the receiver to stop the rattle), check brake caliper bolts, check shock bolts, check all heat shields very closely (are prone to rattle easily since they are made from thin sheet metal), check any bolt on skid plates and skid plate welds, look in all of the nooks and crannies with a flash light for any bolts, nuts, or washers that may have been dropped during assembly..

Reactions: jimclemjr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check your coolant lines that are against the skid plates. I have a new rmax that was doing the same thing kinda sounded like a beer can on the floor board bouncing around. I had to tighten the clamps for them.

·
Registered
2021 X4 with lift and 30’s
14 Posts
I have a 2021 x4 and I have heard the same strange noise. It bugs me also that I can’t isolate or figure it out. It doesn’t seam to be a repeatable noise by doing anything in particular. From the front passenger side is where I think it is. Please continue with search and post your findings as will I.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Hi, have a 2021 X4 - there is a knocking/clanking noise - imagine hitting a screwdriver shaft against something - there is no pattern to the noise besides being constant - but not in any sort of rhythm. It comes and goes, but mostly there, it does it on acceleration, climbing, cruising on even ground, braking - there is nothing that duplicates it. The sound isn't cyclical, as in something spinning is loose, so tap tap tap every rotation or similar. I took it to Yamaha, they said it was something inside the tranny and that is normal, but it doesn't feel/sound normal - I took it apart (panels etc, not the tranny or anything) to see if I an see anything - nope, all looked solid to me. It will go minutes without a noise and them it starts - anyone have anything similar on these 2021 Wolverines?
It seems to be a common phenomenon. I have several posts describing what I tried to do to find it. What I have found is that over the 1500 miles I have on mine now, the noise is receding in volume and frequency of occurring. Chk
Out my other posts on clanking banging noise. You can take comfort in the fact that it is not affecting any drivability issues. Maybe with time it will disappear....much like I wish the Democraps would do😂😂🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
268 Posts
Wear earplugs. Seriously. I drove mine around the block recently without my earplugs and realized it's got all sorts of clanks, clunks and wierd noises that I've never heard before since I usually wear earplugs. I was even amazed at how loud the transmission is in reverse!

My Rhino was WAY louder and had WAY more funny noises but was 100% reliable at 5000 miles and 14 years old. I think noises in these machines are normal.

·
Registered
2021 Wolverine X4 XT-R
23 Posts
I just bought a 21 Wolverine X4 and have the same noise happening. It’s not a sound I like hearing on this brand new machine that we’ve only been out riding in 3 times…..has anyone figured out what is causing this yet?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Read my prev posts on knocking clanking noise. Still doin it but has not caused me any problems. Just annoying as hell. No rhyme nor reason to it. Totally random. Has done it from day one.

·
Registered
2021 Wolverine X2 SE
43 Posts
I changed the transmission oil to Amsoil UTV trans/gearbox oil and it takes longer for the noise to start and it doesn't seem as loud, but definitely still there.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Brand new Rmax 4 doing the same noise. Happens around 30mph and only when its warm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our X4 does the same thing. IJust bought it last Monday. But it’s nothing compared to the noise the Honda Pioneer 500 made. They said it was normal on the pioneer too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems to be a common phenomenon. I have several posts describing what I tried to do to find it. What I have found is that over the 1500 miles I have on mine now, the noise is receding in volume and frequency of occurring. Chk
Out my other posts on clanking banging noise. You can take comfort in the fact that it is not affecting any drivability issues. Maybe with time it will disappear....much like I wish the Democraps would do😂😂🤣🤣🤣
Check on each side of bed just above lift handles tap on each side just above handle plastic on plastic mine made a loud rattle on rough road a little pipe insulation cured the problem

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Thank the Lord for the Dems. Asshole Trump is the ruination of the world. He is the biggest, stupidest POS that ever sucked air. Can't wait till he's no longer spewing his lies and hatered.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts