Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
I bought a new 2021 RMAX 1000 XT-R last fall. Not long after I bought it, I noticed a popping sound coming from the motor area after it gets up to operating temp. I have taken it to two different dealers and both tell me they can’t find any issue. One of the dealers heard the noise but simply told me not to worry because I have a warranty. Today, I came back from a leisurely ride and noticed the glowing red exhaust. It looks like a pipe coming off the motor on the other side of what appears to be a catalytic converter on the driver’s side-front of the motor. I believe that popping sound is the extremely hot exhaust. I’m concerned about a fire or my machine starting one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This problem has been going on since I bought it new last fall. While I had not seen the glowing red pipes, I did hear the super hot metal popping. That sound is what I reported to the dealer on a few occasions now. I just got it back from its first service and it only has 300 miles on it. I did call the dealer and sent them the photos. They said they will attempt to talk to Yamaha about it. It’s definite look y going to the dealer but so far, it hasn’t done me much good .

·
Banned
2017 Wolverine SE
5,022 Posts
It would be a fire hazard. Plenty of plastic type material to melt and start burning. If you have another dealer nearby, call them and see what they say. No point driving it around without knowledge they're going to really work and resolve this.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
4,300 Posts
Blame the liberals. The OP's picture is the perfect answer to 'Why or what benefit would the Weller tune or AIS block off do for me?'

Yamaha has to run these engines lean in order to meet emissions requirements. The implementation of AIS (Air Injection System) that injects air into the exhaust to burn off hydrocarbons is why your header glows. This happened on the Gen 1 engines as well. It's nothing new. It's going to be most apparent if you let it idle for awhile (which I don't recommend, simply shut your engine off if you're not going anywhere) or really low speed operation.

The catalytic converter is in the muffler, those are heat shields strategically placed on the exhaust (I made the same mistake thinking they were cats when I first saw them).

This bares repeating and I wish some of you that have been here for awhile would pick up the following:

Glowing header: Indicates a lean condition and many times is normal. Bad plugs aren't going to create a lean condition but a RICH condition

Hot/glowing muffler: This does indicate a possible bad plug as unburnt fuel gets to the catalytic converter built into the muffler and it goes into overtime trying to burn it. On the X2/X4, upgrade the plugs to Iridium. On the RMAX, you already have Iridium plugs thanks to yours truly proving their benefit and doing a high speed run is all you really need to do to clean them out.

That glowing header is why I am also against snorkels. Yamaha designed the CVT exhaust to cool down the exhaust area and you're bypassing this critical design feature by installing snorkels (which NO snorkel manufacturer has re-incorporated into their snorkel design).

@Geo I know you're against anything that Yamaha doesn't do/recommend. Believe me, if Yamaha didn't have their hands tied by the EPA, they wouldn't run their engines this lean at idle/part throttle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts