Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2020 X4 XTR
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced just the rear "self leveling" shocks on their x4 xtr? They are really stiff and buck the rear passengers around a lot.

Registered
I replaced all 4. What sucks is that the KYBs on the front are really a good shock, but they're pricey if you need to buy 2 for the rear, especially if you want to add in the JBS Eibach springs to match what I had on the front. I ended up just going 814 Trail series on all 4 corners and glad I did!

Premium Member
I know some did the Walker Evans in the rear. Link
Video at the bottom.

Registered
2021 Yamaha Wolverine X4 XTR
I replaced all 4. What sucks is that the KYBs on the front are really a good shock, but they're pricey if you need to buy 2 for the rear, especially if you want to add in the JBS Eibach springs to match what I had on the front. I ended up just going 814 Trail series on all 4 corners and glad I did!
I kind of was wondering this myself, the front KYBs don't seem awful (I've only had my machine for 2 weeks so hard to actually say) but the backs just feel awful for trail riding. I hate the machine bucking and it seems to be coming from the rear mostly and I'm thinking the self levelers are the culprit.

Registered
Does anybody know if the front KYBs are interchangeable with the rears? Looks like you can get a pair for $700

Attachments

Premium Member
Verify length.
I think there was mention of the X4 rears being a inch longer than a X2 ??
Anyhow, there is something in the length to verify.

Registered
Yeah I was just reading that if you want to swap to the X2 the X4 rear is about 1.5" longer.

I was meaning, will the KYBs on the front of a 2021 X4 fit on the rear? I am assuming no, not without some adjustments if at all. I may play around with this, just take one of my fronts off lol. No idea if the spring rates are the same or how to tell because of the goofy load leveling.

Premium Member
I wonder if the PERFEX lift kit in the rear would work?
It has a 1-1/2" & 2" hole option.
But like you said, I don't know spring rates either.

Lets us know what you find out. (y)

Registered
I've only had mine out for 3 rides at this point, but it was still enough to know I hate the rear self leveling shocks.
What I can't determine is if the KYB piggybacks in the front are any good.

Welp, looks like I'll be tearing in to my suspension this weekend! I will line the KYB up next to the self leveler, as well as make sure the clearance is all there for the mounting tabs. I know a lot of people just opt for the WE but I'm just trying to figure out a cheaper alternative to getting a matching set of semi decent performing shocks on all 4 corners.

Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
It sounds like you're riding empty. Have you tried it with bodies in the back seats for weight.

Registered
Thats with 2 small children, totalling like 70lbs lol, its going to be a few years before they get some serious weight back there.

Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
Likely built for 4 adults to ride properly. Add some real heavy bags to help. I wonder what the spec are for the rear. 500lbs ? Two passengers, then it won't bounce.

Registered
Some quick loaded measurements.
Pic #1 is eyelet to eyelet on rear shock
Pic #2 is eyelet to eyele on front shock
Mounting tab spacing on the control arms appear to be very similar in size but thats with a tape not a caliper lol.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts