Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 X2 XTR
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a used 2020 X2 XTR with low hours from eastern Iowa. I plan to ride up in the Hibbing MN area.
Thanks for the great information on this forum. It ready helped me to decide which Wolverine to get.

I started to really look last year however COVID made finding an unit almost impossible. My 2020 X2 XTR was the best ride at my budget. I'm excited to get my X2 on the trails.

I do have a couple questions at the moment. My X2 is several hours from me.

What is the physical size of a 2020 X2 XTR fuse? mini?

I am planning to get an Aluma 6310H trailer, which has a 63" x 120" bed. I am very limited in size because of backyard gate. Has anybody loaded a 2020 X2 on this trailer? Do you think it will fit? I am assuming that I will have to load weights on the front for tongue weight.

The other trailer that works (size-wise) is the Carry-On 5.5'x10'. However they are about 10 weeks behind, which is a long time stay off the X2.

Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Welcome!! You have a great machine coming! I would rent/borrow a trailer of known large size just to get the machine home. Then you can measure and play with the machine a little, and be sure of the trailer you need.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Agreed, a trailer purchase is a big decision. Just rent a two-axle car hauler from U-Haul.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Agree with the rental idea. 63” does not sound wide enough.

·
Registered
2021 X4 xtr
28 Posts
I picked up this 6.5'x12' used landscape trailer when I bought my X4. It works perfectly. I wanted to mount it going forward rather than reverse so the pressure on the windshield would be going in the right direction but I also wanted to keep the cage for gear. With nothing else on the trailer the tongue weight is very light but, once I get everything loaded up to go, I have the appropriate tongue weight of about 350# on it. Just letting you know the trailer journey I went through recently. Oh, and I paid $1300 for the trailer.

·
Registered
364 Posts

A 6x12 for my 2019 X2.

Reactions: Jimbo

·
Registered
2020 X2 XTR
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responses. Bigger is usually better however I have a couple more parameters for my trailer. I have a backyard gate which is only 90" wide and I have to manually pull the trailer into my backyard (with a slight incline). I do not think I can pull a 900lbs. trailer into the backyard by myself. Lastly my van can only pull 3500lbs. So I am trying to find the lightest and narrowest trailer that the X2 can fit. Nothing easy for me. 😁

P.S. I see both shown trailers have a tire tie down system. Is it Erickson 09160 Wheel Chock Tie-Down Kit? If so is the weight limit increase if you use two sets? The 'rated' spec is for only 1500lbs.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I few things to consider. If your stuck with a tow vehicle with that low of tow rating make sure you get a trailer with brakes. Anything with that low of a tow rating isn't going to be real happy about towing anything so do all you can to help it out. The 90" gate is going to be rough. Hopefully you can use the X2 to get the trailer in and out but your talking maybe a couple inches on each side. I would have a trailer built that is 72 wide overall with drive over fenders. Basically a small, single axle version of this. H5X Buggy Hauler | Wide Car Trailer | Maxxd Trailers

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
364 Posts
My Terrain has a tow limit of 3500lbs and I've never had any issues with the weight or stopping without trailer brakes. I personally never go above 65 so that probably helps. As far as the Erickson system, having all four wheels tied down is better with these machines weight 2000lbs or more fully loaded up,

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
72 Posts
Agreed, a trailer purchase is a big decision. Just rent a two-axle car hauler from U-Haul.
I rented a U-Haul car hauler to pick up my X4 and it worked very well, very secure with the bonnets over the tires.
It appears that the U-Haul car hauler comes in 3 different sizes so try to get the smallest model they have.

·
Registered
2021 X2 RSPEC 850
40 Posts
The 6810H has a calculated payload of 2,940lbs but the width is right there. It does have a small rail and little margin for error. A deckover model might be an alternative, maybe even a used sled trailer. Here's a 2021 RSPEC on a 77" x 16' PJ steel tandem. Pulled by an F150 for scale. Right at 3,500 lbs.

I've heard people say the Erickson system is cumulative. 1,500 lbs per wheel but 6,000 lbs total. I am not sure about that, perhaps a user can clarify? I'd definitely use that system if this trailer was dedicated to the wolverine, but it moves a variety of wheelbases.

·
Registered
2021 X4 xtr
28 Posts
P.S. I see both shown trailers have a tire tie down system. Is it Erickson 09160 Wheel Chock Tie-Down Kit? If so is the weight limit increase if you use two sets? The 'rated' spec is for only 1500lbs.

Thanks again.
Here is my questions and response from Erickson. Not super confidence inspiring but it does seem to confirm that the wheel chocks are appropriate for the X4.

QuestionI have a question about your wheel chock and strap kit. I have a Yamaha wolverine X4 that weighs about 1800#. I have read that the maximum weight that can be used with your chock kit is 1500#. What I am wondering is; does this refer to only using 1 chock set (one axle) or would that be the same weight limit if I was to put chocks down for all 4 wheels? I just want to be sure that I am being safe and not using these inappropriately. Thank you Jeff

Answer:
Jeff:

If you use a set on both ends you will be fine. No matter what you use you MUST tie all four corners with the correct weighted straps.

Thank You
Sandra Carnegie
Customer Service Manager

PH: 1 (888) 546-4668 Ext. 227
www.ericksonmfg.com

·
Registered
2021 X4 xtr
28 Posts
OK, I just got off the phone with Sandra at Erickson. The weight limit for the wheel and strap chocks (when tying down both Axels) is 2400#.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2021 Yamaha RMAX2 1000
28 Posts
Thanks for responses. Bigger is usually better however I have a couple more parameters for my trailer. I have a backyard gate which is only 90" wide and I have to manually pull the trailer into my backyard (with a slight incline). I do not think I can pull a 900lbs. trailer into the backyard by myself. Lastly my van can only pull 3500lbs. So I am trying to find the lightest and narrowest trailer that the X2 can fit. Nothing easy for me. 😁

Thanks again.
put a trailer ball on the wolvy and use it to pull the trailer in. Works great. I park my tent camper with mine all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts