Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the 2020 XTR piggybacks and the 2021 XTR piggybacks are the same specs? Where do you guys usually get your part numbers from? I recently bought a 2020 X4 base and was looking at upgrading to some XTR piggybacks but wasn't sure if there were any difference between the 2 year models. Also do you you guys think the XTR shock are a decent upgrade over the X4 base shocks?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
You can use Partzilla or Babbitts site to get part numbers, plus others.
Are you wanting to use X2 shocks on a X4?
If you are and I recall correctly, the rears are different lengths. Not 100% sure, but there are threads on here about it.
There are also threads about using different aftermarket shocks, i.e. Walker Evans, Elkas, Bandits and more that may help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a negative on the X2 shocks, they are off a 2021 X4 XTR. I'm curious if they will fit my 2020 X4 base. If so would they be a decent upgrade over the base shocks or should i save up and buy some better aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
From the post that I have seen, most of the X4 machines are going aftermarket.
I heard the XTRs were 'suppose' to have a slightly improved spring, but the self leveling shock should be the same.
Maybe some X4 guys can give you the specifics.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'd just go straight aftermarket. The X series suspension is pretty bad. You might as well skip trying to upgrade stock and go with something else. No matter what you do it will not be great, there just isn't enough travel.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If you are happy with the rear shocks and are just looking to improve the front, then the piggyback KYBs are better than base especially once you get them dialed in.
I was looking at upgrading my piggybacks to aftermarket until I found a tire that helped improve the ride.
Now I rip rough trails and haven't given it a second thought.

Many of the X4 guys have put Walkers on the back. Link
Not 100% sure if they fit the front, but you could call.
Or if you're wanting to same some cash, I'd KYB the front and Walker the rear.

Many say Bandit shocks are a good improvement all around also, I just don't know much about them.
I know I've abused my KYBs and they've taken it. I haven't heard of any complaints from the Walker guys either.
Some mixed opinions on other aftermakets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are happy with the rear shocks and are just looking to improve the front, then the piggyback KYBs are better than base especially once you get them dialed in.
I was looking at upgrading my piggybacks to aftermarket until I found a tire that helped improve the ride.
Now I rip rough trails and haven't given it a second thought.

Many of the X4 guys have put Walkers on the back. Link
Not 100% sure if they fit the front, but you could call.
Or if you're wanting to same some cash, I'd KYB the front and Walker the rear.

Many say Bandit shocks are a good improvement all around also, I just don't know much about them.
I know I've abused my KYBs and they've taken it. I haven't heard of any complaints from the Walker guys either.
Some mixed opinions on other aftermakets.
Yeah I honestly just got it and will try and put some decent seat time in it before I start messing with the suspension. I was originally looking at a used XTR but ended up with a base. If I could get some new takeoff KYB for a few hundred bucks to help the front suspension I figured "why not".

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'd just go straight aftermarket. The X series suspension is pretty bad. You might as well skip trying to upgrade stock and go with something else. No matter what you do it will not be great, there just isn't enough travel.
This x100

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Yeah I honestly just got it and will try and put some decent seat time in it before I start messing with the suspension. I was originally looking at a used XTR but ended up with a base. If I could get some new takeoff KYB for a few hundred bucks to help the front suspension I figured "why not".
Picking a tire that has a smooth ride helps a lot.
With my other tires I was still wanting to do something with my shocks, but like I said, now I'm completely satisfied with the ride and performance.
Now I can rip rough trails at speed and not even want to do anything different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picking a tire that has a smooth ride helps a lot.
With my other tires I was still wanting to do something with my shocks, but like I said, now I'm completely satisfied with the ride and performance.
Now I can rip rough trails at speed and not even want to do anything different.
What tires did you end up with/ recommend. I have the tusk beadlocks with ripsaw tires. I really want something less aggressive but something decent in the mud still. Back in the day with my rhino I had a set of mudlite xtr radials that seemed to be good and wear good as well. I've been away so long I'm not even sure what stands where now review wise.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
The tire hunt never ends as you are always looking for the latest and greatest.
I've settled in with Kendra Bearclaw HTRs.
They look aggressive, but run smooth with a plush ride.
On blacktop, they start off very quiet, but as they wear, they will develop a little howl. Nothing annoying to me, but sometimes I notice it and other times I don't.
Once you're off road, they ride great. They absorb a lot of the rough stuff plus they have really thick sidewalls for added peace of mind from punctures.
Many run them at 7-9 psi, but I found 7 to be a really sweet spot.

Normally when I see a tires recommended PSI around 25+, I tend to shy away as I found them to ride rough.
I know you can drop pressure, but usually they have thin sidewalls and now you risk pinch flats and punctures.

Thick sidewalls usually come with a weight hit and affects our machines high speed performance, so you have to look at how you use your machine.
I could go on forever listing pros and cons, but that's the nutshell version.

The HTRs just do so much right with a soft ride that it would be really hard for me to pick another tire.
They do great on the trails, rocks, hill climbs, loose over hard pack and better in mud than Kenda rates them for.
They clean out great and I do some deep mudding.
I've looked at every tire out there and if I was to change, it'd probably be for the System3 XTR370s if I was willing to take the extra weight hit.

Some ITP tires have thick sidewalls I've heard and some give a plush ride also, but I haven't tested any.
Just something to think about going forward.

Reactions: Dan

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Some other tires to research are:
ITP Terra Hooks. I hear they are a good trail tire with good handling and soft ride at lower pressures, 12psi or so. Suppose to have a thick sidewall also.
Or if you're looking for more of a truck type tire, the Kenda Klever XT is another tire I hear good things about.
I'm not sure of your terrain or riding conditions, but some more options to research.

·
Registered
399 Posts

If you're just looking to improve the brick ride of the stock setup there are several things you can do, maybe you've tried already.

I have stock shocks and people can't believe it's the same machine because it rides so much better than factory now; disconnected front and rear sway bars, set front shock preload to soft setting, and upgrade tires(unfortunately this ones not free like the other two).

I'm still on the fence if I'll eventually order Walker Evan Shocks or not, but it's no longer a necessity like I thought it was after my first few rides with the factory setup.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
399 Posts
What tires did you end up with/ recommend. I have the tusk beadlocks with ripsaw tires. I really want something less aggressive but something decent in the mud still. Back in the day with my rhino I had a set of mudlite xtr radials that seemed to be good and wear good as well. I've been away so long I'm not even sure what stands where now review wise.
Where are you finding the Ripsaws too aggressive... general trail riding, higher speeds?
The ITP Mudlights are still a good tire that can handle mud, my buddy uses them in the mountains for an all around tire and loves them. ITP Blackwater's also get similar all around reviews.
If I was worried about mud here and there, I'd lean more towards one of those more designed for it that's still a good all around option and compromise on trail manners a bit.

If mud is just the odd patch and you're looking for a good all around tire, I agree with SKELLEY521 the Bearclaws and others are all great all around tires. My M1 AMS Evils have also done fine in a long muddy/slippery climb.
SKELLEY521, have you compared your buddies' M1 AMS Evils to your Bearclaws for mud, was it a wash or were the Bearclaws noticeably better with what looks like better clearing? They've handled anything I've thrown at them but I don't do serious mudding.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
The M1 Evils did better in the nasty mud than I thought they would. He just has to spin them harder to help clean them out I noticed.
He has a Honda Talon and said they ride smooth on blacktop and are wearing great.
Another buddy has the Ripsaws on his ATV and he doesn't like them. He said they don't bite in loose dirt and failed a hill climb on his property which he slid backwards and ended up rolling it.
Someone else on here said they were bad in dirt & sand also.

I think Chevymanrc is looking for a tire with a smooth ride that also offers a soft ride, so probably something with a higher tread to void ratio that has thick sidewalls.
I'm not sure what size tire he's wanting run as some manufacturers don't offer a 28"

Reactions: Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Another buddy has the Ripsaws on his ATV and he doesn't like them. He said they don't bite in loose dirt and failed a hill climb on his property which he slid backwards and ended up rolling it.
Someone else on here said they were bad in dirt & sand also.
Interesting, seems like too much lug results in drawbacks just like in snowmobiling. The Ripsaws are "1 1/8” deep aggressive tread pattern." The 3" snowmobile lugs do great in ideal conditions like perfect deep snow, but in more general non-ideal snow they can be a bit floppy and don't bite in and provide as much traction as a slightly shorter and more rigid 2.6-2.8" lug.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly with the shitty weather we have had lately and the fact I just got it, I've not had a bunch of time to really ride it. We are in the process of building a house in a neighborhood and will eventually look for a more pavement friendly tire and prob dump the beadlocks as well. I'm in eastern NC so we do have some mud and swamp to deal with but will mostly be used for hunting club roads and an occasional W Va trip. The rip saws look cool but the tall tread and large void really push the tread down into soft ground, which I guess is good except when driving across the yard. I also wish yamaha would adapt the turf mode to help with that also, but I do understand the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On a side note, I'm currently running 27x9x14 front and 27x11x14 rear on what looks to be the same width and offset wheels. Is it correct to say that the 2020 models are in fact the same track width front and rear. And if so could I possibly step up to a 28x10x14 all the way around?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts