Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Going with new 1/4 tabs. Will probably be a week before I can get started.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Saw nothing wrong with your plate idea if you did it to all four sides. Might save just a little time on making all new tabs.

Reactions: Duckmans

·
Registered
363 Posts
have there option on filling this gap, adding plate on top and bottom, and/or making new tabs?
A little bit more work but would certainly be stronger. Just a thought.

SWING ARM FILLER2.JPG SWING ARM FILLER.JPG

The 1/4" plates will probably be okay but it would be better to fill the space between the parts and burn it in... maybe a piece of heavy wall pipe
with the right O.D./I.D. split down the middle. A lot will depend on your welding skills.

We're all cheering for you,
Mike

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Haha, my welding skills are beginner. Seams like the lower arms hold most of everything, top arms just pushes out on wheel to keep it upright. Even the tabs on the 2020 arms are beefed up on the bottom.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's a good observation but my concern was WRT side loading of the tire/wheel, especially when you put those big tires on it... keeping the wheel upright will be a lot harder to do. I do have a propensity to over engineer things.

Thanks for sharing all of your good work,
Mike

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I agree that there is a lot of pressure. My concerns are with the thick to then metal welding. Should be fine, I will get some similar metal and practice some.

Someone could make some custom uppers with some adjustability in them and buy the $35 lowes to make a kit. Each arm was only $30 to $35 each. Think the axle shaft was about the same.

I have a full time military job and have a rental property I've been dealing with, along with a kid that's about to start driving so working on getting another car. She doesn't like my $700 car I drive every day.

Anyways, I'm busy. Getting this done before the end of the month I hope, get a good weekend ride in, then time to chop this cage before some bigger tires.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Finding some bushing issues with the satv ports is slowing me down. Not a huge issue but I'm not putting this thing back together this way. Working the fix now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Getting things lined up. Going to do 1/4 in tabs then reinforce with some 1/8 in tied to both tabs then along the top of the arm. Might add a small triangle to the front tab?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I applaud you on working through it and finding a solution. That should work just fine.

Be sure to buff 100% of that old paint off with a wire wheel or flapper disc if possible before welding!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
It will be all cleaned up before welding! Thanks!

After all of this r&d, haha, it should be easy enough for the next guy.

Just need 2 lower arms and longer axle shafts. Probably about $100 to $120. And a welder and press.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Welp, all welded up. My first real welding project besides a few small ones.

1 pic is a test, i used the front bent arm and a tab I messed up to make sure I could do it. Alot easier on a straight weld.

I forgot to get another pic but it's all cleaned up and primed. I did round off the tabs.

According to my measurements, I can fit a 34 in the back. I still might put the highlifter lift on the rear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im feeling lazy since I know you already covered in here, but now the stance is the same in all 4 corners? Plus the added clearance from the frame. So 4 matching rims no spacers? Also you kept the original CV's and swapped in the longer 2020 new shaves? I am really considering this instead of spacers, the little welding/fab would be simple for me.

Thanks for being the test monkey!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Basically, have some new wheels and tires on the way. Wheels are the same width and offset. It should be basically like the 2020. I just changed the rear axle shafts, someone said the older r spec axles are longer so might be able to use those? Wasn't bad or expensive. More expensive for me for being the "test monkey" haha.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Excited about the new wheels and tires. Never bought new wheels or tires that were good. Haha. I hope they are good.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I will do a walk around video after I'm done to go over everything. I'm not a video editor so will be raw but maybe will help people figure it out if they want to do this. Not too bad. I should have added a gusset on the front of the tabs but changed my mind the last minute. Idk. Can add some triangles in the front is someone that knows anything about fab work says its needed.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts