Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am crawling downhill, particularly over rocks or uneven terrain, there is a clanking sound coming from directly beneath the center of the machine, and not because I am hitting rocks on the underside. I assume it is the interplay between the drive shaft and the engine brake trying to hold the machine back, but it is quite annoying and sounds like it is hitting harder than it should be. My 10-year-old even noticed it and said something about it.

Doesn't happen on flat or uphill surfaces.

Any ideas? Or just the nature of the beast?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Same sh!t here, downhill on rocky roads I swear there's something wrong.
Doesn't happen much elsewhere but it does sometimes when decelerating on semi-flat roads also.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,572 Posts
Nature of the beast: Engine braking, one-way sprag, driveline lash.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
What Massive said. All of my Yamaha ATV's over the years and my Wolverine make the same sounds on descents. The one way bearing (engine braking) and the driveline are engaging/disengaging causing the noise, it's normal as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks. Much appreciated. Glad to know it’s not a repair bill!

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. Much appreciated. Glad to know it’s not a repair bill!
Now you can wait for the day when the one way bearing fails. I've worn one out on my old Grizzly plow rig, it was weird as sometimes I would have engine braking and other times it would just free roll, that is when you know how nice it is to have. I rarely use my brake pedal, except when needed.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Now you can wait for the day when the one way bearing fails. I've worn one out on my old Grizzly plow rig, it was weird as sometimes I would have engine braking and other times it would just free roll, that is when you know how nice it is to have. I rarely use my brake pedal, except when needed.
Speaking of one way bearing.................last trip out I noticed mine was working intermittently.
This is my first machine with CVT but I'm guessing that mines taking a dump???

And I cant find one online at the parts houses I frequent.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Speaking of one way bearing.................last trip out I noticed mine was working intermittently.
This is my first machine with CVT but I'm guessing that mines taking a dump???

And I cant find one online at the parts houses I frequent.
Out of curiosity, how many miles on yours at this point?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
5100+
Did get the new tie rod ends on, the old ones had a fair amount of slop.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
5100+
Did get the new tie rod ends on, the old ones had a fair amount of slop.
I’m at almost 4900 , that’s why I was curious. Wondering if that’s i my near future!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,572 Posts
About 2000
I'm about to hit 7000 miles, all on synthetic, with no issues, but the X2/X4's one way is much beefier.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Bring that thing to Moab, we'll give that bearing a work out on the rock rollercoaster!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Bring that thing to Moab, we'll give that bearing a work out on the rock rollercoaster!

Been there, done that! LOL

Great video, you can actually see how steep it really is!

Reactions: MassiveOverkill
1 - 16 of 16 Posts